Tomatoes - the possibilities are endless

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Tomatoes - the possibilities are endless

Postby tezza » May 8th, 2012, 6:59 pm

I am in absolute awe of Lindsey Bareham's cookery book 'The Big Red Book Of Tomatoes'. I urge anyone who is in love with this fruit as much as I am to get hold of a copy.

If I ever need inspiration for what to make using a pile of vine ripening tomatoes that I have acquired, this is the first book that I reach for.

As detailed on the back cover of the copy I have, tomatoes lend themselves to being stuffed, roasted, made into sauces, eaten in salads or as a snack, tart tatins, savoury clafoutis, Bloody Mary, salsas, souffles, chutneys, how could we be without this wonder fruit?

But of course you already knew that. :chef: :D

When I think back to the most memorable meals I have eaten, a tomato or two is bound to have featured.

My first Gazpacho. A lovingly prepared starter to a birthday meal. At the time (around a decade ago) I don't think I could recall ever eating something so perfectly delicious on a swelteringly hot August evening in the garden, followed by mushroom risotto and strawberries bobbing in Champagne for pud, it was the perfect start to the meal.

I remember the time I perfected a bolognese sauce, which very soon helped me to tweak and again perfect a tomato pizza topping sauce. Just knowing how to balance the tartness with a touch of sweetness is key to mastering the tomato, because they are all so different. Some riper, sweeter, tarter, not as flavoursome as others.

I also remember the ugliest food I ate - a tomato purchased from a sleepy, village shop in Galera, southern Spain. It looked me in the eye as I perused the fruit and veg they had on offer as if to say 'Come on, I dare you to eat me'. :lol: How could something so hideous to look at taste so utterly divine?

I could go on and on.......

So I wondered if we could keep a record of our favourite tomato dishes here.

After admitting that for me, tinned tomatoes on toast has to be the ultimate in speedy deliciousness, I will start the ball rolling with a recipe from the aforementioned book - P94. Brown Tom.

Brown means brown bread, Tom means tomatoes.

Preheat oven to 200c. Process 150g wholemeal bread, minus crusts, into crumbs. Mix with 2 onions finely chopped, 1 clove garlic finely chopped, about 8 tbsp finely chopped fresh mixed herbs such as basil, parsley, oregano, 6 tbsp grated Parmesan, S & P. Grease a gratin dish with 1 tbsp olive oil. Cover with 1/3 of the bread mix. Peel, core and thickly slice 1kg ripe tomatoes. Lay 1/3 over the bread. Repeat the bread layer, then the tomatoes, then more bread, then tomatoes, finish with bread and dribble over 3 tbsp olive oil and dot with 25g butter. Cook 35 minutes until brown and slightly crusty. Dust with extra Parmesan to serve.

The notes I wrote in my book:

'27/4/02 - delicious flavours, quite moist, ate with Jersey Royals, green beans, salad, and also cooked salmon fillet marinated with lime and soy sauce, grilled, for fish eating guests. All very tasty as a Saturday night treat'.
Last edited by tezza on May 8th, 2012, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tezza
Registered

Re: Tomatoes - the possibilities are endless

Postby frenchcheesequeen » May 8th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Lindsey Bareham's Tomatoes survived the downsize. As did the Onions and the Potatoes.

She is one of the tutors on my Arvon course in September and I am VERY excited to be meeting one of my heroes.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby tezza » May 8th, 2012, 9:13 pm

I hope you enjoy your meeting with LB FCQ. Do report back! :bounce:

I do also have Lindsey's Fish Store in hardback and have been known to cuddle up in a cosy corner with it and eventually fall asleep, full of inspiration, as I have with her tomato book. I must check out more of her titles.

In the meantime, I promise myself I will make a tomato concasse with red wine and thyme syrup for serving with fish some day very soon, from P205. Sounds so intriguing it has to be given a go.
tezza
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » May 9th, 2012, 10:28 am

Just ordered a hardback copy of the book for £3.48, thanks Tezza, I'd not come across this before :D

As for favourite tomato recipe, ripe home grown tomato, rocksalt & BP, basil leaf & a good drizzle of oil on fresh toast :hungry:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » May 9th, 2012, 10:36 am

I have to admit, I adore tommys too. Cannot get enough of them, which is why my greenhouse is full to bursting with them. Moneymaker and cherry tommys for the hanging and sitting baskets for this year - you can only eat a few flowers ! ! So versatile and when picked still warm from the GH and eaten straight away - awesome ! :chops: :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » May 9th, 2012, 11:29 am

Love all tomatoes and use a large variety, from tiny olive tommies to large beef heart tomatoes. Many raw with evoo, fleur de sel, but also roast, fried, small ones in sauces, large one in sauces too, peeled and seeded. As a child I ate tomatoes as fruit instead of apples. :lol: They are part of virtually every day food in this house.
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 9th, 2012, 4:17 pm

I've just picked a kilo of these tiny, wild cherry tomatoes:
Wild tomatoes 001.JPG

As you can see, they're tiny:
Wild tomatoes 003.JPG

But absolutely delicious pickled:
Wild tomatoes 004.JPG
Wild tomatoes 004.JPG (48.88 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

They explode in your mouth!
I have to pick them unripe, otherwise the birds eat them!

I've got two favourite Indian tomato recipes. Tomato Kuut, and Hyderabadi-style tomatoes. Really wonderful!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » May 9th, 2012, 4:22 pm

They look lovely Clive. You pickled them in vinegar, onion, and?
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby tezza » May 9th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Those tomatoes look amazing! Literally had my mouth watering at the prospect of them exploding when bitten into and filling your senses with the aromas of beautiful, sweet tomato and tangy vinegar pickleyness. :chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » May 9th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Wow......the tomato concasse with red wine and thyme syrup is just so good I have to share the recipe.

This is a spicy, sweet and sour sauce, almost like a salsa, to serve with an oily fish. It tasted divine on its own, I could almost mop it all up with a bit of baguette!

In a small pan place 2 glasses of red wine, 1 tsp redcurrant jelly (I used double that as the wine was quite 'winey'), a sprig of thyme, 1 clove garlic very finely sliced, a pinch of dried chilli flakes. Boil rapidly and reduce to a syrupy consistency. Strain through a sieve (the recipe did not suggest this but I thought it necessary) then season with salt & pepper and add to 4 concassed tomatoes and 1/2 tbsp chopped parsley.

:chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 9th, 2012, 9:11 pm

BelgianEndive wrote:They look lovely Clive. You pickled them in vinegar, onion, and?

Errrm... let me find the bible where I write all my recipes.. :oops: :oops:
Ahh!
Mix of white and white wine vinegar (50:50); onion, garlic, fresh basil leaves, fresh oregano, salt, sugar and pink peppercorns.
What is the aesthetic, taste-marrying reason for those ingredients? 8-)
That's what I had in the cupboard at the time! :lol: :lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby elaine » May 10th, 2012, 7:29 am

Tezza - I've bought a used copy from Amazon, delivery next week. :D

I have Lindsey's book on Pasties which is also excellent.

Clive - those tomatoes look delicious :chops:
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » May 10th, 2012, 8:09 am

Mix of white and white wine vinegar (50:50); onion, garlic, fresh basil leaves, fresh oregano, salt, sugar and pink peppercorns.

Thank you Clive. Might just do that when I get some firm tiny ones. :tu:
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby tezza » May 10th, 2012, 10:01 am

Those that have bought the book I assure you, you will not be disappointed. I am now on a mission to collect any other LB (used copies for cheapness) books that are not already on my book shelves. :tu:
tezza
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » May 11th, 2012, 3:27 pm

This talk about tomatoes made me want some roast tomatoes. I was making a fillet of pork for lunch just fried in oil/butter with fresh thyme in a Creuset cocotte. So I halved some lovely tomatoes, scooped the seeds out, sprinkled with fleur de sel, oregano, and finely sliced shallot and drizzled with evoo. Baked at 160° fan for 1hr30. Divine! :chops:
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby Annie » May 12th, 2012, 8:17 am

Sounds to me as if this is a must book.
Like others I love tomatoes, I also like many grow my own in the greenhouse and can't wait every year for the first harvest even if it is the one and only that ripens first it is pure heaven.

I am always so disappointed when the last one is picked and gutted if some go to waste (like develop a mould or disease on the vine ).

For a while after the crop has finished I can't bring myself to buy any as they are just not the same.

I'm definitely going to have a go at making a tomato clafoutis.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby jodie » May 12th, 2012, 1:58 pm

karadekoolaid
the tomatoes looks great my mouth is watering now wish ours were ready
. we have moneymaker and some other brands I in the greenhouse my hubby looks after them. I'm not well up on preserving them but I make loads of soup to freeze and can eat them off the vine
jodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 13th, 2012, 1:06 am

I was at a Gourmet Event today and took 12 jars of the "wild tomatoes". I sold them at a ridiculous price and they'd all gone within 2 hours!!
Jodie - I'd not normally pickle tomatoes, but one day I thought: "well, why not?". These tiny ones are perfect. The fresh herbs and the sweet/sour combination of vinegar and sugar works fine. The tomatoes literally "pop" in your mouth, and work wonderfully with cold meats, cheeses and as an added extra on salads.
If you've got loads of tomatoes, however, it's really worth trying to make "Tomato Kuut" ( a truly inspired Indian recipe) or Hyderabad-style tomatoes.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Annie » May 13th, 2012, 5:09 am

There are a few of these books on ebay some at twice the price of the official site but the cover seems completely different and some at as little as 99p which one is it you've got please Tezza :?:
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby tezza » May 13th, 2012, 11:37 am

This is the one I have.

Published by Penguin Books 2000. :luv:
tezza
Registered

Postby jodie » May 13th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Thanks karadekoolaid cant wait now until they are ripe and be more adventerous
jodie
Registered

Postby Annie » May 13th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Thanks Tezza that is the one I can get on ebay for 99p :)
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby elaine » May 14th, 2012, 4:47 pm

My second hand copy was put in the post to me today. It cost 47p - postage was higher. I'm really looking forward to reading through it.
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby tezza » May 17th, 2012, 12:07 pm

On the back of this thread, my used copies of Lindsey Bareham's 'Supper Won't Take Long' and 'In Praise Of The Potato' arrived today. Both in very reasonable condition. Perfect bathtime reading material this evening me thinks. :D
tezza
Registered

Postby elaine » May 18th, 2012, 9:00 am

Thanks Tezza for mentioning how good this book is - my copy arrived this morning, cover needed a bit of a wipe as it had a few dirty marks on it, which are now gone, edges of pages a little bit yellow but other than that the book is in really good condition - all for 48p :D

I've had a quick look through it and will spend time this evening looking at it in more detail but there are loads of really good recipes in it - I keep being drawn to the Tomato Cobbler recipe :chops:

Do let us know your opinion on the two Lindsey Bareham books you received.
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby tezza » May 18th, 2012, 7:16 pm

So glad you are pleased with the book elaine. I will have to check out the tomato cobbler recipe! :tu:

I may also start up a Lindsey Bareham thread all of her own, as I have so much to say about my latest books written by her but they are not all tomato related! Watch this space. 8-)
tezza
Registered

Return to The Kitchen