Staffordshire Oatcakes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Staffordshire Oatcakes

Postby Pepper Pig » March 2nd, 2017, 3:36 pm

Pepper Pig

Re: Staffordshire Oatcakes

Postby karadekoolaid » March 3rd, 2017, 2:07 am

Now there`s something that looks interesting. I`ve never eaten them; they might just be a positive addition to my breakfast menus!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"

Postby Hope » March 3rd, 2017, 7:50 am

I've never had them either, but disappointed they've added wheat flour. I thought they'd just been made with oat. Will have to google for a recipe without.

Postby StokeySue » March 3rd, 2017, 11:29 am

I have bought Staffordshire oatcakes from Neal's Yard cheese and I've eaten the Derbyshire version in the Peak District
Love them :tu:
I've often thought about making them but have never got a round tuit.
Given this prod, that I now have the time, I have a box of expensive organic oatmeal that makes horrible porridge I might just give it a try sometime soon

Hope, as FC says they were originally made with all oats, but the texture is better with 50/50, and the texture is certainly part of what makes them nice. I suspect that all oat ones will be inclined to crumble like Scottish oatcakes, I'd be inclined to use gluten free bread four in with the oats to end up with a wrap that actually wraps

The story is that originally they were made by French prisoners of war in the Napoleonic era who missed their buckwheat galettes and used oats istead

Postby Ratatouille » March 4th, 2017, 1:58 pm

I love the Derbyshire version too Sue. My SI, in Derbyshire, makes a mean oatcake. I wish I could get the ingredients.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes

Postby Herbidacious » March 5th, 2017, 7:47 pm

As I said elsewhere, I always make a point of buying them when I visit my mother and we get to go to the Chatsworth Farm shop.

I once tried making them and failed and decided it wasn't worth the effort. Probably worth another go though.

Return to The Kitchen