Autumn vegetables

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Autumn vegetables

Postby Ratatouille » September 29th, 2017, 9:11 am

It feels only right to have a vegetable thread as well as the fruit one.

Talking to my tame chef at the weekend we were discussing what was available at the moment, what he was usingand how.

I just adore wild mushrooms and use them whenever I can. We had a girolle omelette last night. Mannu is a fan of squashes and pumpkins of which there is an abundance this year. He prepared a delicious butternut squash veloute on Sunday topped with crispy pancetta and a drizzle of parsley oil and served with a wild mushroom croute on the side,

What are your favourites and how do you use them?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Autumn vegetables

Postby Badger's mate » September 29th, 2017, 9:49 am

We have got plenty of veg on the plot at the moment.

BNS and other squashes - lovely in a soup with shelled beans and corn, in a tomato base with smoked paprika (Michael Michaud recipe) Also roasted, scooped out, mashed with Stilton & Walnuts put back and baked again (HF-W/Sarah Raven). Plus the usual combo with sage in risotto or pasta.

Collys - also great in risotto (JO) or baked with cheese or cooked in an Indian style. Nice with oyster sauce in a Chinese meal (Ken Hom). Out local takeaway used to do a salt & pepper colly, as per squid, but I haven't managed to copy that yet. Colly is also lovely roasted; florets with a roast dinner, or a thick slice roasted and used as a base for devilled kidneys (Mark Hix recipe :drool: )

Tomatillos - we eat a lot of chile verde in the autumn. Pork, fish, turkey. A friend uses prawns. The excess sauce (there's always excess sauce) can be poured over burritos or used for dipping tortilla chips or nachos.

Cabbages, kohl rabi, for slaw or cooked. I prefer them done simply.

Celeriac for soups or remoulade

Beets for soup (with feta) or hummus, or pickled in a cheese sandwich

Plus the recently harvested spuds and onions. Lots of jackets and check out the JO roasted onion recipe.

So much to pickle too. Just done a batch of cucumber relish (thanks KK & Scully), will make red onion marmalade (thanks Keith Floyd).

There is so much we have to leave some things for later; Don't touch the parsnips or sprouts until the frost, but in any case we're still eating our way through the other stuff so carrots & leeks are largely untouched for a while too.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2017, 11:02 am

I love eating seasonally and am looking forward to some winter cabbage dishes when the runner beans are finished.

Butternut squash mash will go beautifully with a shin of beef casserole for this evening's supper.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 29th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Butternut squash mash will go beautifully with a shin of beef casserole for this evening's supper.

:drool: :drool:

It's nice in a venison stew too, with home-grown butter beans and carrots (and the juice from a jar of pickled walnuts).
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2017, 1:56 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 30th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Other veg coming on now are relatively unusual catch crops. I've got some fenugreek ready for methi gosht (there's some goat meat waiting for it), Chinese cabbage and pak choi beginning to shape up, and some achocha forming on the vines.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 1st, 2017, 10:55 am

Badger's mate wrote:It's nice in a venison stew too, with home-grown butter beans and carrots (and the juice from a jar of pickled walnuts).

:hungry: :chops: :hungry:

I also love it roasted with garlic & sage. Perfect with pork.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 1st, 2017, 10:56 am

...Not long until swede and sprouts.... :tu: :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 1st, 2017, 1:24 pm

I don't eat sprouts until Christmas (obviously they'll need putting on the stove soon :D ) and usually leave swede until then too. However, I can't get decent swedes off the plot. Used to do alright in Edmonton but not here. My current plot is much more freely-draining soil. I'm never embarrassed about buying tropical fruits or local strawberries and asparagus, but feel somewhat inadequate if I have to purchase a swede :oops: .
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 1st, 2017, 1:52 pm

There were some sprouts in the reduced section and the kids asked me to get them as I was making cottage pie for dinner. It was a 500g bag ready washed and trimmed for 6p. 3 boys ate the lot

I love autumn vegetables except parsnips.
Catherine
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 1st, 2017, 6:14 pm

I like parsnips boiled then mashed with butter, pepper and grated cheese.
Then either poured into a dish and baked, or thickened with a bit of cornflour, shaped into cakes and fried.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 2nd, 2017, 8:44 am

Roast parsnips are lovely with Sunday dinner. Delia suggests gating Parmesan over them. They are also nice mashed (as Jane Grigson said) with plenty of butter or cream. Parsnip crisps are good too.

Parsnip & pancetta tagliatelle (JO) is worth checking out, though in this house it's always made with bacon and whatever pasta is available. There's a nice recipe for parsnip fritters/rosti in VWAV if you want to try something different.

Finally parsnip soup, especially with a hint of curry spicing.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 2nd, 2017, 9:11 am

I love parsnips and they are used in traditional Provencal dishes though they rarely taste as good as Dad's used to because we don't have much frost here.
Here they are mashed and mixed with flour and an egg to make fritter like things which are lovely with game
I make a layered parsnip and carrot bake with olive oil and cheese too and I love curried parsnip soup.

Swede, called rhutabaga here, is a real rarity but I love it with cream , butter and lots of black pepper. lovely with pork.

Being a northerner by birth leeks have to be a favourite. Fish is gorgeous served on a bed of leek fondu ie "melted" in butter and a leek pudding , these days made in individual portions has been a real hit with friends and neighbors served with beef braised in ale :drool: :drool:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am

I love soups made with squash, sweet potato etc and also make quite a fuss about the first leek and potato soup of the year.

I am very fond of the squash family and other root veg just roasted with honey and ras hanout and also fond of similar veg and legumes served in tomato sauce with a cheese and crumb topping.

Not so fond of celariac (or preparing it) and loathe parsnips (except for some reason when they are juiced or when they are transformed into a veggie gratin mashed with lots of cheese and egg and topped with cheesy crumb).

Nowt wrong with a lovely stew either - with a whole onion cooked in it which goes gorgeously soft and sweet when it is cooked ... and some dumplings. That's very late autumn / winter though!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » October 2nd, 2017, 10:19 am

I never realised parsnips were so divisive. I love them and some lovely ideas on here. I was saying the other day how I much prefer winter food to summer. Summer food is more assembling with salads etc. . A nice stew or curry reLly hits the spot on a cold wet day.

I love soups made with roasted winter veg, lots of garlic, and spices. Perfect with a chunk of nice bread
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 2nd, 2017, 10:29 am

I have a recipe for parsnip fritters with a blue cheese dip. I often make it at Christmas/NYE and it goes down a treat. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2017, 11:00 am

I have already made a pureed soup with a really good onion squash with a definite chestnut flavour, and don't forget chestnuts are in season now, there were roast chestnut sellers out all over Zagreb on Saturday
I love parsnips in curried parsnip soup (with or without apple), roast or plainly mashed (please do not ruin parsnip mash by adulterating with potatoes or carrots :( )
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 2nd, 2017, 11:21 am

Badger's mate wrote:We have got plenty of veg on the plot at the moment.

Do you want a new best friend Bm ? My neighbour has an allotment and grows plenty of veg, more than he and his missus can eat/use, but I rarely get offered any. :( He's the village barber, so his customers probably take/buy whatever he takes to the shop when he has a glut .

I am just about to roast a bns, sweet potato and red onion together before deciding what to do with the resultant mixture ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 2nd, 2017, 12:36 pm

A root vegetable crumble is delicious and makes a comforting main course. Sometimes I add bacon lardons to the mix which goes down just as well. It is also good served in smaller potions as a side with some sausages. Any which way, the kids like it
Catherine
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 2nd, 2017, 12:52 pm

There was a layered parsnip and cashew roast with mushrooms in it in the Sarah Brown BBC series and book. I made it once, liked it and intended to do it again, but haven't got a round tuit.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 2nd, 2017, 5:13 pm

Catherine wrote:A root vegetable crumble is delicious

Oh yes! As I think I've mentioned before, my mum had the most fantastic veg crumble recipe. I've been trying to recreate it for years (said recipe vanished at some point) but have never quite succeeded.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 3rd, 2017, 8:21 am

My neighbour has an allotment and grows plenty of veg, more than he and his missus can eat/use, but I rarely get offered any. He's the village barber

I'm guessing he doesn't do your hair!

I'm just jealous; my barber charges me £8.50, which these days is £1 labour and a £7.50 search fee...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 4th, 2017, 9:34 am

After reading this thread the other day I made a huge tray of roasted veg sprinkled with chilli infused oil, ras el hanout and honey ... there is still half a squash to eat up so I can make it again tonight ... it was sooooo nice! I like to roast halved garlic heads with it as well ... :chops: :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 4th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I think I have a veg crumble recipe in my very old, very battered Cranks cookbook.
But I am at work so I can't check right now.
WWordsworth
Registered

Return to The Kitchen