Cornflakes recipes please

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Cornflakes recipes please

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 6th, 2017, 4:47 pm

I have two great big boxes of unopened cornflakes which I am never going to eat for breakfast before they go stale if opened or out of date if not.

I wondered if anyone has any other uses for them, sweet or savoury.

Google seems to offer up chocolate crispy cakes but I am not a chocolate lover, and other puds including peanut butter which I also have loads of, but it would be nice to peruse t&t recipes to help me decide what to do with them all.
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Cornflakes recipes please

Postby Mamta » October 6th, 2017, 4:58 pm

There are a couple of decent ones here
I think that they will make nice crumbs for anything you need crumbs for.
Mamta
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2017, 5:22 pm

I dislike cornflakes but I'm sure I've quite enjoyed "fried" chicken made with cornflakes crumbs

Here's a basic recipe, but you could always add a blend if 11 herbs and spices, like KFC :D And it doesn't have to be chicken

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/oven-fried-chicken-with-a-corn-flake-crust-232683
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 6th, 2017, 5:25 pm

crumbled up for treacle tart.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 6th, 2017, 6:05 pm

My mother used to make flapjacks with cornflakes. I wonder if it was a Be-Ro recipe - most of hers were!

It was, but it's not on the web site:

5oz SR flour, 4oz marge (I'd use butter now), 5 oz sugar, 1oz cornflakes, 2 1/2 oz desiccated coconut. (
Melt marge in a pan, stir in everything else, mixing thoroughly. The result will be crumbly and dry. Put into a greased, or lined, 9" x 12" swiss roll tin; spread evenly and press down firmly. Bake at 180C for 30min. Cool a few minutes in the tin, then turn out and cut while still warm.

My recollection is that these were quite crisp once cold, rather than the chewy flapjacks that I make now, with oats. The recipe won't use much of your stock though!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » October 7th, 2017, 10:02 am

Tezza, if there's a local food bank they might welcome the unopened boxes. There's probably a donation site at one of your local supermarkets.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 7th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Suelle - that sounds like Kelloggs Flaky Bars which were always a hit when my mother made them. Her recipe came from the back of corn flakes packet.

I have just found her recipe - almost the same: 4oz butter or marg, 2oz crushed cornflakes, 4oz flour, 3oz coconut, 1oz caster sugar and a pinch of ginger powder.
Melt the fat in a large saucepan, add everything else and mix well. Put into a greased baking tin and bake 360F for 20 mins,
When cold, they had a drizzle of water icing over them before being cut into bars. :chops: :chops:

I immediately thought of school treacle tart too :chops: :chops:

I love cornflakes just eaten with milk as intended too!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 7th, 2017, 4:56 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Suelle - that sounds like Kelloggs Flaky Bars which were always a hit when my mother made them. Her recipe came from the back of corn flakes packet.

Copied from an undated Be-Ro book! Can't be any later than 1960 and probably a bit older than that.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby MagicMarmite » October 7th, 2017, 6:58 pm

How have you ended up with them when you won't eat them?
I'd donate them to a food bank, as Seatallen says, if you won't eat them plain, it's highly unlikely you're going to eat them all with extra stuff added, thus creating more food and costing more money.

You've said finances are tight, could you not just eat a bowl each day?
Certainly when my daughter was small and it was a case of heat or eat, we ate what was on offer.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 7th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Finances being tight is temporary, and I have been donating to a local food bank (Noah Enterprise) already but was looking for creative ways for me with these cornflakes. I think I will go down the flapjack route.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2017, 6:02 am

Suelle wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:Suelle - that sounds like Kelloggs Flaky Bars which were always a hit when my mother made them. Her recipe came from the back of corn flakes packet.

Copied from an undated Be-Ro book! Can't be any later than 1960 and probably a bit older than that.

I can't remember when we started having them. It could even have been in Australia which would be 1968/69 as we didn't have cereal and my mother was too busy to cook much before that. I'm sure there's another recipe somewhere which has golden syrup. I will have to try and find it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 8th, 2017, 8:00 am

I just remembered that I have a double length Bounty bar in my fridge for emergency sweet treat fix needs and think that if I melt this and stir in some cornflakes I could set spoonfuls onto a plate ready for my Aunt's visit tomorrow. She mentioned she loves coconut, so that's an afternoon coffee accompaniment sorted!
Does anyone think this won't work? Maybe I need golden syrup or something, or an extra element of chocolate?
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2017, 1:42 pm

I think that would work Tezza - it's like cornflake cakes. I don't think that one Bounty bar would make a lot (but enough for a small treat) so don't overdo the corn flakes or they won't stick together! More chocolate would ensure they stuck together but would lose some of the Bounty flavour.

Your aunt might just prefer pieces of Bounty!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 8th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Thanks EM. I'll bear that in mind. :tu:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen