Salt beef

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Salt beef

Postby Zosherooney » October 17th, 2017, 6:11 pm

From Sept W'rose mag. Now have brisket soaking in salt/sugar juice, had anyone done this before? Any tips or advice.....?
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Salt beef

Postby Seatallan » October 18th, 2017, 12:11 pm

No but have always wanted to. Do let us know how it pans out Zosh.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 18th, 2017, 12:21 pm

I made this a few weeks ago http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... dwich.html it was superb :chops: , I used a small piece of brisket and scaled down the amounts. I cooked it in the slow cooker on day 11. I didn't have salt petre but used a tsp of "bacon cure" which worked well.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Haven't done it for years ... usually the local butcher would brine some beef, pork etc (including pigs heads, trotters and ox tongues) in the autumn. If I wanted some when it wasn't worth his while doing several he would give me a small amount of the brining mix to dissolve in a bucket of water to brine a piece of brisket or silverside, or pork belly for myself.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 19th, 2017, 5:36 am

LTC the recipe is very similar to the one I have used and thank you for the SC pointer, my recipe says bake in the oven but more economical to use the SC. Incidentally I got my brisket in Aldi which surprised me, I didn't think they would have it.

Will keep you posted Sea. :tu:

I also found rye flour in Aldi so will be having a go at quick rye bread which was in the Guardian recently. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 19th, 2017, 9:07 am

I would kill for a piece of brisket - salted or otherwise :chops:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 19th, 2017, 10:40 am

Never made salt beef, though I've done petit sale according to Jane Grigson

Used to go to Kossoff's on Petticoat Lane for a Sunday treat of salt beef on seeded rye bread followed by baked cheesecake :chops: :chops: :chops:

Still plenty of salt beef places, but they tend to put it on bagels (spelled biegel and said by-gal) by older locals. Just not the same, bagels are for chopped liver or lox and schmear (smoked salmon and cream cheese) :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2017, 10:46 am

We used to have hot salt beef, simmered with lots of onions, carrots and potatoes added for the last 40 mins or so along with suet dumplings and served in a soup dish with a generous helping of the cooking liquor. One of my favourite meals as a child ... boiled beef and carrots :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 19th, 2017, 11:59 am

That sounds wholly wonderful Suffs! :chops: :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 19th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Steaming bowls of lush-ness is the only way I am accepting Autumn arriving, I will miss long summer evenings :|
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Seatallan wrote:That sounds wholly wonderful Suffs! :chops: :chops: :chops:

Ma wasn't a great cook, but with good ingredients and a solid fuel range a dish like this can't really disappoint :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » October 20th, 2017, 12:53 am

Sue - I was watching Ina Garten the other day and the dish she was making involved smoked salmon and she repeated a couple of times not to use lox as it was too salty. I'd always assumed that lox was another name for smocked salmon but it seems otherwise, a classic 'same but different' :D

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 20th, 2017, 9:02 am

Our Danish friends always refer to gravad lax as lox.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2017, 9:39 am

I remember something on the radio eons ago ... possibly/probably Woman's Hour ... IIRC lox is made from salted and smoked salmon belly whereas 'smoked salmon' is made from the rest of the fish and isn't as salty ... can't remember why it's not as salty .... :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 20th, 2017, 10:01 am

In the East End of London, lox is definitely smoked salmon, preferably London cure which is quite mildly salted with a little sugar, and moderately smoked, and my guess is that Ina's smoked salmon would be quite similar, as the "London" cure originates from the Baltic Jewish tradition, and I've had smoked salmon in the U.S. that was very similar to UK supermarket stuff. There's a Norwegian guy makes smoked salmon locally, and his cure is much stronger.

I've just looked at recipes for New York lox and as I suspected it is salted but not smoked, like gravadlax without the herbs; I've had similar in Germany a long time ago and iirc they actually took the fish out of the brine with tongs to serve

Here's the recipe for American lox
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-salt-cure-lox-at-home-f-141049

Lox is simply the Yiddish pronunciation of the German Lachs, or Scandinavian Lax; salmon. So as long as it is salmon....
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 21st, 2017, 8:52 am

There seems to be a divergence of opinion on whether you soak the beef in plain water after letting it sit in a bath of sugar, salt and water for the first 5+ days or not? Can anyone throw further light on this point ????
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 21st, 2017, 8:56 am

It depends how strong the brine is and how salty you like it ... I usually slice a little piece off the beef and taste it to test (after all, it's just very rare beef and I eat steak tartare so whats the difference?).

If it's not too salty I usually put the beef in a pot of cold water, bring it just up to boiling point and then discard that lot of water and cook the beef.

If I think it's very salty I soak in cold water overnight.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 21st, 2017, 11:26 am

Many thanks for your valued opinion Suff :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 21st, 2017, 12:41 pm

Mine had a good rinse before being added to the slow cooker then covered with water. It wasn't too salty when cooked.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 21st, 2017, 9:08 pm

Thanks LTC. Today I cut it in half. We had a conversation over tea this morning and wondered what the difference would be to cooked in the oven and SC'd so thought we would experiment and report back when we cooked it. Watch this space...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 22nd, 2017, 12:02 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Thanks LTC. Today I cut it in half. We had a conversation over tea this morning and wondered what the difference would be to cooked in the oven and SC'd so thought we would experiment and report back when we cooked it. Watch this space...

Please feedback. I only made a small piece so not worth splitting it, I baulked at bit at having the oven on for so long for 750g meat but would be good know if it is better oven-baked as I plan to make a bigger one next time.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2017, 1:06 pm

When we had it as 'boiled beef and carrots' as I described earlier, we would only ever eat part of the joint hot ... the remainder of the cooked joint would be put on a plate in the cold pantry with a wooden board and a heavy weight on top of it to press it so it sliced thinly for a salad lunch the next day and sandwiches for later in the week.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 22nd, 2017, 4:07 pm

suffolk wrote:... the remainder of the cooked joint would be put on a plate in the cold pantry with a wooden board and a heavy weight on top of it to press it so it sliced thinly for a salad lunch the next day and sandwiches for later in the week.

That's what I did with mine :- (though the fridge intead of a pantry) it was lovely :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2017, 6:25 pm

Ma didn't get a fridge until
1973 when she started looking after DS for me when I went into town to shop and get my hair cut - the marble slab in the cold pantry was cold, but not cold enough to store a couple of made up bottles.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 22nd, 2017, 8:51 pm

OK.... I cut a third off and put it in a casserole dish with juniper, garlic, onion, cracked pepper, sliced celery, bay, cloves and boiling water. As the oven was on, it went in and it was cooked on 100 for an hour. I then took it out and sliced it thinly. It was lovely for me but a tad too salty for Mr. Z. The rest is still in the fridge in the marinade. I will next soak the 2nd third in plain water before slow cooking it and see how that piece turns out.

So enjoying this 'experiment' ! Thanks all for your input :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 22nd, 2017, 9:20 pm

Zosherooney wrote:OK.... I cut a third off and put it in a casserole dish with juniper, garlic, onion, cracked pepper, sliced celery, bay, cloves and boiling water. As the oven was on, it went in and it was cooked on 100 for an hour. I then took it out and sliced it thinly. It was lovely for me but a tad too salty for Mr. Z. The rest is still in the fridge in the marinade. I will next soak the 2nd third in plain water before slow cooking it and see how that piece turns out.

So enjoying this 'experiment' ! Thanks all for your input :tu:

:tu:
liketocook
Registered

Return to The Kitchen