Strawberry Glut

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Strawberry Glut

Postby cyprusmoira » May 1st, 2019, 8:32 am

At this time of year the strawberry farm sells trays of small or misshapen strawberries, probably about 3 Kg weight. Any suggestions what I can do with them? Over the last few years we have made strawberry jam/ jelly/ ice cream/ puree and various desserts, any other suggestions would be welcome, they are small strawberries not the big fancy commercial type

Thanks, Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Re: Strawberry Glut

Postby Ratatouille » May 1st, 2019, 8:39 am

Sttrawberrries go really well with basil so for a change a strawberry and basil jelly or sorbet would be good.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 1st, 2019, 9:14 am

I haven't tried any, but there are recipes online for strawberry chutneys, if you wanted a change from sweet jams and jellies.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » May 1st, 2019, 9:54 am

I make strawberry & lavender jam if you fancy a slight variation on a theme. The lavender adds a peppery depth to the jam that really works in my opinion.

Other ideas: strawberry vinegar, strawberry vodka, or I have a recipe for wild strawberry confiture if you would like it.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 1st, 2019, 11:53 am

My grandmother used to make lovely fruit syrups. They were used for ice cream sodas and as a topping for milk puddings for supper on winter evenings amongst other things. A real treat!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 1st, 2019, 2:40 pm

Strawberry gin or vodka.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 1st, 2019, 6:12 pm

Busybee wrote:Strawberry gin or vodka.

BB

Seconded makes a lovely tall drink for a summer evening with soda, lots of ice and a sprig of mint :cocktail:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » May 1st, 2019, 6:28 pm

liketocook wrote:
Busybee wrote:Strawberry gin or vodka.

BB

Seconded makes a lovely tall drink for a summer evening with soda, lots of ice and a sprig of mint :cocktail:

Oh that sounds nice . I’m very fond of vodka, lime and soda and M&S did a rhubarb vodka a while back .

In America , talking of rhubarb, I had a strawberry and rhubarb pie , which was very nice . Otherwise , addclotted cream and scoff!
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 1st, 2019, 11:00 pm

Strawberry, mango and chicken salad - Trust me it works
Macerated strawberries
Eton mess
Catherine
Registered

Postby scullion » May 2nd, 2019, 1:17 am

make yourself a solar dehydrator (when you get your sun back) - thisis the simplest type but you can go more complex, or freeze dry them so you can have them crumbled into your cereal or other stuff when out of season.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 2nd, 2019, 9:03 am

Thanks, I have found a recipe for Strawberry Chutney and another for Strawberry Gin, the latter on the BBC Food site

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » May 2nd, 2019, 4:35 pm

Any strawberry vodka T&T recipes please?

I was gifted a tray of strawberries last summer. They came from a farm I can quite easily pass on my way home from work so will keep an eye on their website to see when they're ready. They have different classes, I had some top class for eating and some 2nd class for jam. I reckon some jam class for vodka.

I will add they were the best tasting strawberries I'd had in years, they reminded of those I had as a kid.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 3rd, 2019, 10:13 am

slimpersoninside wrote:Any strawberry vodka T&T recipes please?

I was gifted a tray of strawberries last summer. They came from a farm I can quite easily pass on my way home from work so will keep an eye on their website to see when they're ready. They have different classes, I had some top class for eating and some 2nd class for jam. I reckon some jam class for vodka.

I will add they were the best tasting strawberries I'd had in years, they reminded of those I had as a kid.

I make fruit vodka/gin as follows:-
500g fruit chopped small including any escaping juice
125g sugar dissolved in 125ml water then cooled (can use less if fruit is very sweet)
1l vodka or gin
I use a large kilner type jar to make it in- combine ingredients and give a good shake, store in a dark place for around six weeks giving a good shake every couple of days. Strain out solids then filter the liquid through a fine cloth (I use a j-cloth), bottle up. Strawberry and raspberry are drinkable immediately, bramble etc. are better if stored for a few weeks before drinking.
liketocook
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » May 3rd, 2019, 5:49 pm

Cheers LTC.

They sound good and easy to do. Think I might do small ammounts using different fruits through the seasons.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 3rd, 2019, 7:38 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:Cheers LTC.

They sound good and easy to do. Think I might do small ammounts using different fruits through the seasons.

Yes really easy to do and no reason why it can't be made in lesser amounts. I have a bramble patch in my garden and make bramble vodka/gin every year. It's lovely and really handy as Christmas gifts :) . This year I should get some rhubarb from the crown I planted last year so hope to make rhubarb gin. If you are a whisky fan, raspberry or bramble whisky is rather good made the same way. I'm not that keen on whisky but found it very drinkable and a wee bit different.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 4th, 2019, 9:08 am

I had a rather nice dessert yesterday it was an individual almond sponge containing chopped fresh strawberries. Not especially well made but it really could have been improved on. I have a mind to try.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 4th, 2019, 9:47 am

liketocook wrote:make bramble vodka/gin every year.

Snap! I always make sloe gin too and often make strawberry vodka in the summer.

It's fun to experiment with different fruits and berries. I've made rowan gin a few times and jolly good it is. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 4th, 2019, 9:48 am

Seatallan wrote:
liketocook wrote:make bramble vodka/gin every year.

I've made rowan gin a few times and jolly good it is. :chops:

That sounds lovely :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 4th, 2019, 2:44 pm

It is! The first time I made it was one of those years when the sloe crop failed. There were hardly any in any of my usual spots and I left what there was for the birdies. However, for some reason it was a bumper year for rowan berries so I decided to give it a go. It comes out a lovely pale pinky/orange colour and the flavour is quite distinctive. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 4th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Seatallan wrote:It is! The first time I made it was one of those years when the sloe crop failed. There were hardly any in any of my usual spots and I left what there was for the birdies. However, for some reason it was a bumper year for rowan berries so I decided to give it a go. It comes out a lovely pale pinky/orange colour and the flavour is quite distinctive. :D

I must keep an eye out for a rowan tree as that sounds lovely.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 5th, 2019, 10:50 am

Do indeed! Recommended. :tu: :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 16th, 2019, 9:13 am

I made Strawberry Chutney, Strawberry Vodka is next on the list
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 16th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Rowley Leigh makes a superb strawberry and rhubarb pie but I’m not sure you’ll be able to open the FT link.

https://www.ft.com/content/abadd4dc-595 ... 144feab49a

Here’s an alternative.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/736 ... hubarb-pie
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 16th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I've just prepped a kg of very nice and very cheap berries for strawberry and basil jam tomorrow
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 26th, 2019, 7:19 pm

I am tempted to try this recipe from this month's Good Food Magazine. It was prefaced by a "this might sound odd, but..."!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/str ... thyme-tart

It was a strawberry feature, also including recipes for strawberry, tomato and watercress salad with honey and pink pepper dressing, strawberry and pistachio olive cake, strawberry shortcake slice, and triple layered berry cheesecake (with raspberries.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Kitchen