Adding risotto rice to soups

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Adding risotto rice to soups

Postby tezza » October 8th, 2011, 4:51 pm

On this damp autumnal day I decided that my whole body needed to eat something green and full of nourishment, so I have made a soup using the following ingredients:

Onion, celery, carrot
Curry powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika
Chopped red chillies
Veg bouillon
A bag of washed spinach
Half a cauliflower
A large portion of allotment green beans from the freezer

I would have used some potato in the soup to thicken but I used them all up Thursday night for bangers and mash.

I pureed that lot up and the result is a velvety, dark, green luscious soup. I added the juice of a lemon because I thought it needed it. It needed something else, some body, but not dumplings. Suddenly I remembered a broccoli & arborio rice soup that I made years ago following a recipe from one of my favourite cookery books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garlicky-Thick- ... 0761110410

So I added some arborio rice and the soup is now bubbling away on the hob and smells divine. I do have to keep stirring it every two or three minutes because the rice keeps clogging up at the bottom, but it's worth it, and I just know this soup will really do me some good later on when I have a bowl of it with a great big hunk of crusty bread. :tu:
tezza
Registered

Re: Adding risotto rice to soups

Postby frenchcheesequeen » October 9th, 2011, 9:33 am

I always buy that rice shaped pasta for soups. I find it difficult to buy here in Worcestershire but bought a couple of bags from one of the ethnic food shops in Finchley when we went to Kavey's last week. I do sometimes put proper rice in chicken soup when I have none of the pasta but prefer to use the pasta if I can.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby tezza » October 9th, 2011, 11:05 am

Ooh you have just reminded me fcq how good those tiny pasta bows are in soups and stews. I can't remember the last time I saw them in our supermarkets round here. I must seek some out if I can. Actually we have a very good Italian deli in Bedford, I bet they sell some bows and plenty of other shapes too, fit for soups. I must pay a visit soon.
tezza
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 9th, 2011, 2:55 pm

I have often used leftrover rice as a thickener/extender for soups.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Return to The Kitchen