What to do with Haddock

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

What to do with Haddock

Postby BelgianEndive » July 21st, 2012, 8:57 am

Morning all!

I have finally got my mitts on a whole fillet of smoked haddock. Got it from my fishmonger in Paris who smoke their own. As we are going to Brussels tomorrow I shall take it with me as I remember that I have a recipe in one of my books which is over there. I have a recipe here too, but it is really a haddock salad with oranges, a Moroccan salad.

As I would rather make something warm with it, I was wondering if any of you have good T&T recipes for haddock and what to serve with it?

Merci!
Elisa
BelgianEndive
Registered

Re: What to do with Haddock

Postby Catherine » July 21st, 2012, 10:26 am

I have fond memories of simple smoked haddock poached in milk, served with mash potato with a little of the poaching milk added and butter and peas. Simple and easy, but the best comfort food ever. It was the best meal my grandmother made. Another simple is haddock and spinach florentine
Catherine
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » July 21st, 2012, 10:35 am

If you can be bothered, Elisa, I've got a wonderful recipe for a leek and smoked haddock tart on my website. The advantage is that a relatively small amount of smoked haddock goes a long way. Also uses a standard white fish like cod etc. 175g of it does 8 as a generous starter. The disadvantage is that it's a bit of a fiddle to do.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby frenchcheesequeen » July 21st, 2012, 10:38 am

One of my favourite meals of all time is smoked haddock gently poached and served with a poached egg on top. Or butter a small frying pan, lay the haddock on it and cover with a lid. Bring gently up to heat and add half a pot of creme fraiche to the pan juices with a tablespoon or two of chopped chives. Serve with mashed potatoes and spinach.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Luca » July 21st, 2012, 11:46 am

Hi Elisa

I love haddock, as others have mentioned, simply poached in a little milk and served with mash and spinach. Another option is kedgeree which always goes down well.

It has as has also been mentioned a wonderful affinity with eggs too.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » July 21st, 2012, 12:42 pm

I often make a sort of 'Kedgeree Lite' (sorry :duck: ).

Skin the haddock and cut into bite-sized pieces.

In a hot wok or large frypan and a little groundnut or corn oil soften a coarsely chopped onion, then add the smoked haddock and cook quickly until it loses it's translucency. Add some cooked Basmati rice and turn it gently so as not to break up the haddock. Then add some coconut cream and a good handful of coarsely chopped fresh coriander and a good squeeze of lemon juice stirred through.

Couldn't tell you amounts as I do it all by eye - sorry.

It is absolutely delicious :chops:

Edited to say: Decorate with quartered hard boiled eggs if liked.

Edited again to say: OH has reminded me that a couple of times I added some deseeded and chopped tomatoes - he liked that addition.
Last edited by suffolk on July 22nd, 2012, 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 21st, 2012, 12:48 pm

Smoked Haddock flaked into a Bechamel or cheese sauce and used as a pancake filling (brush with butter, dust the with parmesan and bake).

However, you have a beautiful piece of fish and it seems a shame to 'muck it about'! I rather like it with a little cheese sauce, mashed potato and spinach or the poached egg idea already suggested.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » July 21st, 2012, 2:17 pm

I have bought two lovely fillets of smoked haddock on my back from the gym. This posting had me lusting for the cremefraiche and chive version and I have bought some pearl baby potatoes to go with it and some French beans.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » July 21st, 2012, 2:41 pm

Cullen skink.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Capt_Lightning » July 21st, 2012, 3:56 pm

My favourite brekkies is smoked haddock (naturally smoked - yellow dyed fish puts me off) poached in milk with a poached egg on top.
A favourite recipe from these parts is Cullen Skink - a rich soup with smoked haddie, onions, potatoes etc and thickened with cream. Of course everyone has their own recipe that they recon is the original and best!
Shine on you Crazy Diamond.
Capt_Lightning
Registered

Postby Fidea » July 21st, 2012, 5:39 pm

smoked haddock and leek risotto with poached egg on top - heaven!
Fidea
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 21st, 2012, 6:10 pm

Smoked haddock poached in milk
Make parsley sauce with the flavoured milk
Serve with new potatoes, peas or broad beans - or any other veg you like

Any excess haddock gets kedgereed - I amke my kedgeree by making a pilaff with onion and curry spice, and stirring flaked haddock through the cooke drice
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 21st, 2012, 6:28 pm

Sorry I have taken a while to answer. OH decided we should go out after I had just started this thread! :roll:

Thank you all for the lovely ideas. There is a general concensus that the smoked haddock should be poached in milk. So I shall do that.

Hi Catherine, thank you. OH doesn't like mash :shock:, I do though. So I think some green vegetables will be fine.

Ian: the leek and haddock tart looks fab. I don't have leeks in the house, but I am keeping that recipe as next time I might make it as a starter. Should look good! I can very well see how it would go well with leeks.

Hi FCQ: haddock with chives and small potatoes and haricots verts... right up my street, as well as the chives. Enjoy your haddock tonight!

Hi Luca: I'll definitely be doing the kedgeree in the fall. Merci.

Hi Suffolk: I love "lite", so does OH, so the rice and coconut cream version might well be made as OH loves rice and coriander and the lemony taste as well. I'll be fine with the quantities "by eye" too, thank you.

Hi Earthmaiden: a bechamel or cheese sauce does sound good and of course the poached egg too. I'll keep that in mind as well.

Hi MagicMarmite: I see Capt_Lightning has explained what Cullen Skink is. I wouldn't have known! ;)

Hi Capt_Lithtning: let me reassure you immediately, the haddock is not dyed yellow. 't would put me off too! :D

Hi Fidea: another beautiful idea, smoked haddock and a leek risotto! I bet OH would love it.

Thank you all again, I'm looking forward to preparing it now and I'll report back when the haddock has been prepared! :tu:

Elisa
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 21st, 2012, 6:36 pm

If you're going to cook that lot, I think there may well be a temporary world shortage of smoked haddock ;)
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 21st, 2012, 6:40 pm

:shock: Indeed Suffolk :D :D Some I keep, some I cook, never all at the same time.
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 22nd, 2012, 12:51 am

I forgot to mention smoked haddock souffle
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 22nd, 2012, 5:46 am

:shock: We've neglected Arnold Bennett!!!

http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages25/recip1220.htm
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » July 22nd, 2012, 8:02 am

Indeed, and eggs, mushrooms and smoked haddock are a combination made in heaven. I didn't mention it because I was sure lots of others would!!
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby BelgianEndive » July 22nd, 2012, 3:53 pm

A soufflé? I usually fail those... :terrified: I'm sure I don't know why, but I must be doing something wrong.

MMMmmmm, the Rick Stein omelette looks really nice.

I was just looking in "Jamie's Dinners" and he has a goodlooking recipe in there for haddock fishcakes, which looks quite nice too.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish ... -fishcakes
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 22nd, 2012, 7:21 pm

It is, really really nice :hungry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 23rd, 2012, 11:08 am

StokeySue wrote:Smoked haddock poached in milk
Make parsley sauce with the flavoured milk
Serve with new potatoes, peas or broad beans - or any other veg you like

Any excess haddock gets kedgereed - I amke my kedgeree by making a pilaff with onion and curry spice, and stirring flaked haddock through the cooke drice

Hi Sue: I'm poaching the haddock at the moment and will make a parsley sauce !
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 23rd, 2012, 4:06 pm

We had the haddock for lunch and it was absolutely lovely! :tu: Poached it in a mix of milk and water, added chopped onion, bayleaf, pepper corns. Took it out after 4 min. Had cooked some basmati rice as that was what OH wanted (he is a bit under the weather and I did not have much time today) and I made a creamy sauce with some curcuma, lemon juice and zest, some of the poaching liquid, lots of parsley (as per Sue) and lot of chives (as per FCQ) and it tasted great. Haddock will now feature regularly at our house. I made a last minute photo. The fish sort of fell apart when I detached it from the skin. The taste was great though! Thanks again all for your help. :D
Attachments
P1010502.JPG
P1010502.JPG (48.72 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » July 23rd, 2012, 10:16 pm

That looks wonderful - but what is curcuma please?
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » July 23rd, 2012, 10:20 pm

Turmeric
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby frenchcheesequeen » July 23rd, 2012, 10:24 pm

Thank you Ian - but in that case what makes the sauce creamy?
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 24th, 2012, 6:25 am

Morning FCQ: sorry about that. I wrote curcuma without thinking. I usually do write turmeric. :oops: The sauce was creamy because I heated up thick crème fraîche with a ladle of poaching liquid and then added the herbs. So that is what made it creamy and I added a pinch of turmeric. I should have been clearer.
Last edited by BelgianEndive on July 24th, 2012, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » July 24th, 2012, 7:29 am

Thank you - I shall try adding a touch of turmeric to my creme fraiche and chive sauce next time.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » July 24th, 2012, 7:42 am

I mix the poaching milk with cornflour (lazy way) and some mustard to make a mustard sauce then serve with new pots and any green veg. Nice with asparagus when in season.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 24th, 2012, 10:04 am

Noon NLB: yep asparagus should be nice with the haddock. They are selling green and white small asparagus in our supermarket but they come from far afield!
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » July 24th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Hmm - I am not sure about the delicacy of gras with the strong smoked flavour of the fish. However, I shall bear it in mind for next year.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 25th, 2012, 8:13 am

Morning FCQ: is "gras" short for asparagus? That is a new one on me, so I don't know.
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » July 25th, 2012, 8:20 am

Yes - we live in the Vale of Evesham which is the premier asparagus growing area in Britain and locally it is called gras. There is a famous pub at Badsey called The Round of Gras and Bretforton has a major Gras Festival at the beginning of the season.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 25th, 2012, 8:28 am

That is interesting, thank you!
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby FoodMary » July 26th, 2012, 10:33 am

I love it poached lightly and served with a poached egg and home baked bread and butter. Alternatively Kedgeree is one of my favourite breakfasts, especially at 4 a.m. after a ball. :lol:

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Luca » July 26th, 2012, 12:16 pm

The perfect breakfast Mary! It soaks up the Champagne nicely. :D
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby BelgianEndive » July 26th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Hi Mary! I am aiming for the kedgeree next time. But not necessarily at 4 a.m. ;)

And you are telling me to have some champagne first Luca? :D
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby FoodMary » July 26th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Hi Elisa

We mention 4 a.m to eat Kedgeree as I believe both Luca and I are from Military backgrounds and it is traditional, especially after Summer Balls which go on until the early hours to serve a buffet breakfast with all the usual ingredients and Kedgeree, which I think harps back to the days of the British Army (known there as the Indian Army) in India which is why it has a spicy/curry finish to it's taste.

I have a recipe for curry powder given to me by a Great Aunt who was with her Army Officer husband in Poonah. If anyone is interested I will post it on a seperate thread.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Luca » July 26th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Hi Elisa and Hi again Mary

Elisa - Mary is spot on and not just for military balls and yes.... Champagne goes very well with it, before it, or after it. :D
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » July 26th, 2012, 1:42 pm

I have a recipe for curry powder given to me by a Great Aunt who was with her Army Officer husband in Poonah. If anyone is interested I will post it on a seperate thread.

Yes please, would love to try it!

Yes the Balls, we have just had ours (last weekend) I don't visit much anymore (the young, just don't have the same qualities that we had :lol: :lol: ) Even the Brigadier is a young whipper snapper, was chatting to him just the other day about how the mess could do with a good refurbishment while 2 are away doing their tour, he said no money or so the Mess treasurer said, Pah said I look at the number that are now in the Mess compared with 10 years ago, yes said he, but they are all singlies and go down town for their entertainment. Wouldn't have happened in my day, the President would have had a three line whip on them.

Of course at sea it was different, when we got to Port we would ring the local Hospital and ask the Matron if a few nurses would like to come aboard for a bit of a party, it was always a yes.
I remember well, when in Calcutta (Kolkata), we would get the ladies from the finishing school down and festoon the poop deck with all manner of lampinions and bunting, as well as a smashing buffet (one had to be very careful what was surved up and every thing was labeled to avoid embarrisment. we would hire a dance band (cost just a few Dollars) and we would dance until the early hours (No alcohol on the Poop, so had to dash up to the cabin for a quick G&T ;)
I had the proud pleasure of playing against the Indian National hockey team, not hockey but football, they still thrashed us :lol: :lol: those lads could move like lightening. Afterwards we had a great knees up in the Mohun Bagan club (Part of the Eden Gardens). About 70% of their players where Sikhs, the rest a mixture of the other ethnic groups that make up the multi cultural population.

But I remember the great array of curries, biryanis and of course kedgerees, One thing is certain, no matter who first put smoked haddock into a kedgeree wasn't Indian, could have been Scottish, as the Indian Kitchiri contains no fish at all and consists of a mixture of rice, lentils, onions, chopped hard boiled eggs, sultanas (or other dried fruits) a mild garam masala, it is quite a dry dish but I have had it served with a side curry gravy. But in the main as it would be eaten with the hand it would not be sloppy.
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 26th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Those must have been wonderful times for all of you, balls, delicious snacks at 4 a.m. or for breakfast, including champagne and a good deal of flirting as per Dick's report! We didn't have those things in Belgium! Still we had late night snacks too! :D
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 26th, 2012, 3:23 pm

I keep reading

What to do with Haddock

and thinking 'Oh dear, the Captain has been at the whisky again' :lol:
miss mouse
Registered

Postby FoodMary » July 26th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Dick have posted the recipe.