Chocolate cake question

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Chocolate cake question

Postby slimpersoninside » May 4th, 2019, 8:30 am

I made an 8 inch sandwich cake from these ingredients (it's the first chocolate cake I've made that I really like!) it will be my go to recipe from now on. I would like to make some cupcakes with it next time, would I be right to treat it as I would an ordinary mix re oven temp and cooking time?

Thank you.

190g/6½oz self-raising flour
150g/5oz caster sugar
2 level tbsp cocoa powder
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 level tsp baking powder
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 free-range eggs
150ml/¼ pint sunflower oil
150ml¼ pint milk
slimpersoninside
Registered

Re: Chocolate cake question

Postby earthmaiden » May 4th, 2019, 8:54 am

How long was the cooking time for the sandwich cake? I'd use the same temperature but the cooking time will depend on how thick the cakes are. I would expect small cakes to take less time than a large one but a sandwich cake is very different to something in a deep tin and even 'cupcakes' can mean different things to different people. I'd start looking through the oven window first of all after 15-20 mins and do a test when they looked done.

It looks as though it would be a lovely light cake. I'm always wary of adding baking powder to SR flour in case you get that nasty mouth feel so it's good to know it works well!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » May 4th, 2019, 9:29 am

Thank you EM.

Cooking time is 25-30 minutes. I can't remember how long it took to cook but it was in this ballpark.

I thought it a bit unusual but it was recommended with great enthusiasm. It's lovely and light and I didn't notice a nasty mouth feel.

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate cake but do enjoy, what I consider to be, a good one. I filled and topped it with a nice chocolate butter icing. It certainly hit the spot for me and my somewhat fussy and honest daughter thought it was a keeper.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 4th, 2019, 9:44 am

I have a chocolate muffin recipe that's almost identical so I think you'd be fine with that cooking time for cup cakes.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » May 4th, 2019, 9:53 am

Ta very much Sea.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 4th, 2019, 11:08 am

The usual baking temperature for cup cakes is slightly higher than for large cakes, so I'd up the temperature by 10C and expect them to cook in about 15-20 minutes, depending on their size.

There are many variations of that recipe around! The one I've been using for many years uses black treacle instead of golden syrup, but I've seen it with things like caramelised condensed milk too, although I can't imagine 2 tablespoons makes much difference to the flavour. I don't know if he devised the original recipe, but I've always known it as Michael Barry's Crafty Chocolate Cake:

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/members ... olate-cake

Much nicer than a chocolate sandwich cake based on a Victoria Sandwich mix! :)
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby slimpersoninside » May 4th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Thanks Sue.

The recipe was posted as being a Mary Berry one. When I looked for it online I was surprised not to find it, now I know why :lol: .

I think I'll use less flour and more cocoa powder as in the original, I wouldn't mind it being a bit more chocolaty.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven