Cooking pizza on chiminea

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Cooking pizza on chiminea

Postby tezza » June 26th, 2011, 9:46 am

A couple of months ago Paulthebread posted about making pizza on a chiminea. Yesterday we finally got our chiminea in the garden (it's been in storage since the house move) and we are going to have a BBQ tonight, so I instantly remembered back to those pizza posts.

Just been having a read up here.....

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/2 ... -2011.html

And am wondering if Paul or anyone can tell me if I can successfully cook a pizza on this.

Okay, so it's no fire pit (I wish!) but we have managed to get a good fire burning in there and I do have a pizza tray that will fit. I'm thinking I may have to put a couple of bricks or something in there to rest the tray on so that it is not in direct contact with the flame. Wouldn't want a mouthful of charcoal!
Free Tilikum and all cetaceans in captivity
Watch Blackfish
tezza
Global Moderator

Re: Cooking pizza on chiminea

Postby Breadandwine » June 26th, 2011, 3:22 pm

I'd do just that - light the fire with wood, get it really hot - then use charcoal if you're at all concerned about the smoke.

Place your bricks in and put your tray in on top of that. Being the cautious guy that I am, I'd make a calzone first up - then if it doesn't cook on top you can turn it over.

You'll have a lot of fun experimenting, Tezza, I'm sure!

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby miss mouse » June 26th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Is it possible to put the bricks in at the beginning? I think that you had trouble adding them later, Paul though I know that you have a different style (from your pics). Should they be fire bricks rather than house bricks?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » June 26th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Hi Miss M

You could well be right about putting the bricks in at the beginning. Certainly firebricks would be better than housebricks.

Once the fire is well alight, I was just thinking of using them as a support for an oven tray.

Perhaps an oven shelf-type support would be better, supposing Tezza can fit it into the oven.

Not sure if I have a style? If I had I'd describe it as 'muddled'! :D
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby tezza » June 26th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Thanks for the responses, and for the reassurance that my planned method will be okay. :tu:

After reading Paul's blog I realised I maybe should be investing in some firebricks, so next time we are down the building supplies I will pick a couple up.

I feel a plan taking shape. :D

The BBQ is lit and all the ingredients prepped up ready to go on, but tonight it is so hot, the heat from the BBQ alone is enough to cause us to melt a bit more than we already were without adding more heat by lighting the chiminea, so the outdoor pizza cooking will be saved up for a cooler evening later in the year. Gives me plenty of time to stock up on wood and charcoal. :bounce:
Watch Blackfish
tezza
Global Moderator

Postby miss mouse » June 28th, 2011, 2:08 pm

tezza wrote:
The BBQ is lit and all the ingredients prepped up ready to go on, but tonight it is so hot, the heat from the BBQ alone is enough to cause us to melt a bit more than we already were without adding more heat by lighting the chiminea, so the outdoor pizza cooking will be saved up for a cooler evening later in the year. Gives me plenty of time to stock up on wood and charcoal. :bounce:

If the BBQ has a lid pizza can be cooked on it.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby tezza » June 28th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Our BBQ does have a lid but I don't really fancy my veggie pizza being stuck under it while OH's meat is spitting about all over the place. :?

So I am planning on making the chiminea a place where meat is not allowed to venture. :tu:
Watch Blackfish
tezza
Global Moderator

Postby tezza » July 3rd, 2011, 9:40 am

We lit the BBQ last night and alas it was too hot to justify having another heat source a.k.a the chiminea roaring away aswell, so I cooked these under the lid of the BBQ before the meat went on.

Just Morrisons value pitta topped with my own rich red wine, herb and sun dried tomato paste, on top of that a sprinkle of vegan Parmesan substitute, a slice of vegan mozzarella and some sauteed mushrooms. Delicious. :chops: And the tray fits exactly inside the chiminea. OH refuses to BBQ in the chilly months, but I have to say come late summer/early autumn I am positively relishing the idea of cooking similar pizzas for one on the chiminea whilst wrapped up in a cardie and reading by lantern light. :P
Watch Blackfish
tezza
Global Moderator

Postby Riocaz » July 3rd, 2011, 10:22 pm

how did they come out tezza?
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!

Can't login? Please try this: ucp.php?mode=sendpassword
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby tezza » July 4th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Done on the gas BBQ with the lid down they only took about 5 minutes to cook and were very tasty indeed. I think they will be even tastier cooked over coals and wood on the chiminea.
Watch Blackfish
tezza
Global Moderator

Return to The Bakers Oven