[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Pikelets (freeform crumpets)

Pikelets (freeform crumpets)

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Pikelets (freeform crumpets)

Postby Breadandwine » June 2nd, 2010, 10:00 am

There are few things easier than making pikelets (free-form crumpets). It’s a good way into breadmaking if you’re at all nervous.

300ml lukewarm water
1 teaspoon yeast – any kind
Enough strong (breadmaking) flour to make a thickish paste

(Add a little fruit juice with the water if you want to hurry things along a little – it helps the gluten to form.)

Stir the water/yeast/flour mixture, adding more flour if it’s a bit thin – or more water if it’s a bit thick, and leave for ten or so minutes.

Oil a frying pan and place over a medium heat.

Place a spoonful of batter in the frying pan to see if the batter is the right consistency. They shouldn't spread very far and holes should start appearing in the top almost straightaway – if they’re slow to emerge, and fairly sparse, this is an indication the batter is too thick; add another 25ml of water. If they spread across your frying pan the batter is too thin and you’ll need to add some more flour. Cook them until the top has turned pale and is set in a mass of tiny holes.
As soon as the top is dry – and not before – turn them over to cook on the other side. They should be nicely brown on both sides.
Keep them warm in a folded cloth until they are all done.

For fruit pikelets, as in the pic, add a handful of sultanas after you’ve mixed the batter.

I made these last night and had half the batter left over for this morning’s breakfast. The fruit plumps up lovely.

I’ve got a couple of pics on my blog:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/2 ... elets.html

Cheers, Paul
Last edited by Breadandwine on June 2nd, 2010, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Re: Pikelets (freeform crumpets)

Postby Mamta » July 23rd, 2010, 10:41 am

Every time you mention picklets on various threads, I promise myself that I will try them and then forget I bet they will be nice with chopped apricots too (dry ones) as my husband does not eat raisins.
Mamta
Registered

Postby pinkmacaroon » July 23rd, 2010, 12:33 pm

I love pikelets but don't make them very often due to the butter needed to fill up the holes!

I have a very handy heavy bakestone made by Club with a temp indicator in the handle to show when it ready, I've had it for donkey's years and it is brilliant. I don't know how I will cope when it dies. Best 20p I've spent in a Boot Sale!
pinkmacaroon
Registered

Postby Mamta » July 23rd, 2010, 4:27 pm

I just got an idea from your description of a bakestone pinkmacaroon. I have a pan for making Appe, a south Indian dish, see here; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=13564 . I am going to use this for making a different version of picklets. If it doesn't work, there is always a skillet! I am not free this week-end, but will try making them very soon.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Fiona » July 26th, 2010, 8:59 am

Oh Paul, they look fab! I've never made them before - its raining today so maybe today is the day to make some with my little girl. She is always so impressed that I know how to make stuff like this, she jokes that it all gets taught in 'mummy school', but of course it all comes from this board!.

BTW, how much oil do I have to put in the pan please, and how do you serve them...buttered?

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » July 26th, 2010, 9:10 am

I would think they'd be nice (and decadent) spread with butter then a dollop of jam of your choice and then a spoonful of clotted cream :hungry:
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » July 26th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Mamta » July 26th, 2010, 4:17 pm

I should add the word 'picklets' to it's keywords, shouldn't I :lol: ?
Mamta
Registered

Postby Fiona » July 26th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Thanks Paul
Fiona
Registered

Postby Monnikka » July 26th, 2010, 5:39 pm

I like pikelets (or crumpets) fried in olive oil and used as the base for a baked stuffed mushroom. I generally serve them with spinach.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » July 26th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Mamta » July 27th, 2010, 5:51 am

Ha, the intricacies of English language :lol: ! So it is pronounced as pikelet, is it?
I am always grateful for the corrections you make. You know, for years, I spelt grateful as greatful :oops: ! Both sounded same to me!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » July 27th, 2010, 7:35 am

Last edited by Breadandwine on July 27th, 2010, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » July 27th, 2010, 8:08 am

Last edited by ianinfrance on July 27th, 2010, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Fiona » July 27th, 2010, 10:40 am

Morning Paul,

Okay, so I had a go at these, just a trial run. I have successfully created a nice set of indestructible coasters to protect my desk from the heat of my coffee pot!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I only had strong wholemeal flour, or ordinary plain flour, so i tossed up and the wholemeal won - just because it says its for breadmaking!

With a bit of trial and error I think I now understand the consistency that the batter needs to be to get the spread/appearance of bubbles right, but even after I got this bit right they tasted horrible (even teenage son said they were not nice, although he did eat some!). So with the addition of some salt I think its nearly there.

So, my question is: is wholemeal flour a complete no-no for pikelets or would they be improved if i did something differently please?

I would like to master this as we are going camping and I thought I could make the batter before we go and fry them in the morning with eggs and bacon!

Thanks very much, how wonderful to have a resident expert in these matters to refer to! :)

ps Ian, you are very sharp and witty this morning!! :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby Fiona » July 27th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Success! Tried them again with the plain all-purpose flour and they were delish! Did need a little salt adding but ate them naked! (without butter!!!!)
Fiona
Registered

Postby Mamta » July 27th, 2010, 4:50 pm

:lol: Ian! English language is not easy to master for us poor foreigners, who spell using phonetics. There is a song about our difficulties in Hindi about it; which asks questions like this;
Why is it that 'but' has a sound like 'a' and 'put' has an sound like 'u' in English? There are many similar questions throughout the song from a poor student, who is having trouble passing his English exams!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Fiona » July 27th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Mamta, as my children have learned English grammar at school, I have been increasingly amazed that anyone ever masters it at all! So many exceptions to rules, so many things to trip up on! I think anyone for whom its not a first language (and many for whom it is!) its fantastic they learn it at all!
Fiona
Registered

Postby Mamta » July 28th, 2010, 4:36 am

...and I trip up all the time Fiona ;) !
Mamta
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven