[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - what have you baked today?

what have you baked today?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Re: what have you baked today?

Postby slimpersoninside » January 19th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Thanks Annie.

One of the cooking things I aim to do this year is make more biscuits and cookies. Pretty good start here methinks :tu: .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Annie » January 19th, 2013, 9:01 pm

I used to bake all my bread, cookies and biscuits I liked to know what my daughter was eating (as in no/little additives). Baked twice a week. Saturdays and Wednesdays after I'd been to the market. I'd often have a pie in the oven too on those days.

Since she went off to Uni I don't get the chance now unless she's home otherwise I would eat the lot and far to quickly.

I've baked bread today and need some to go with the coq-au-vin that is in the SC for tomorrow but I haven't baked bread for what seems like an age. Again I eat far to much of it if it is there.

I've bought bread :o in the last two years sliced it up (or get it sliced on site)and frozen the loaf in thirds. It wouldn't make it to the freezer if I baked it despite any good intentions. The only bread I do make as and when I need it are tortillas, pizza dough and naans as I can make them in very small batches.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 19th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Baked a quick cauliflower cheese tonight. Another helping left for tomorrow.

Added some soft onion in with the sauce, for a change.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Breadandwine » January 20th, 2013, 7:44 am

Hi Annie

Thanks for the biscuit recipe(s) - I've got them both saved into a Word file.

I can easily veganise the ginger cookies by substituting a mashed banana for the egg - I'll let you know how I get on with that. I do love a bit of ginger!

I've also copied your vegan (which it was) chilli recipe.

Tell me, why do you grate your carrots and parsnip? I can see it would thicken the sauce, but any other reason?

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » January 20th, 2013, 2:24 pm

#1 son and I made a victoria sandwich this afternoon, in between playing in the snow! We made one of the sandwich cakes each. His isn't bad at all, considering he's only 5! It's almost as tall as mine. I think I've got competition! :D
Hope
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » January 20th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Just starting to make my chai fruity tear n share bread, have a girlfriend coming around tomorrow and its her favourite - just hoping will rise okay as so cold even with heating up!!
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby MollyPolly » January 22nd, 2013, 2:01 pm

Pineapple upsidedown cake complete with bright red glacé cherries & extra syrup/lemon sauce to pour over.
MollyPolly
Registered

Postby scullion » January 22nd, 2013, 4:30 pm

an all in one fruit cake is in the oven right now. to all intents it's this one with the addition of a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg and different oven temp/time and my recipe says a small cup of milk rather than a measurement,
i haven't made this for many, many years but used to make it all the time in my teens (my mum couldn't make cakes - now there's a surprise huh?!!)
we both just fancied cake and he decided on the healthy option - yeah, fruit cake, hmmm.
scullion
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » January 25th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Last night I 'baked' a jam and coconut sponge in the microwave in my plastic bundt tin, served warm with lashings of custard :chops: :chops:
Hello edible world!

anneskitchen
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 25th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Another wholemeal/spelt loaf and a batch of spelt crackers.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Hope » January 25th, 2013, 2:42 pm

I've still not made those spelt crackers. Thanks for the reminder Aero!

yesterday I made some carrot, orange, chocolate and ginger fat free muffins which are divine and rather morish!
Hope
Registered

Postby irishcountry-cousin » January 25th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Today I baked 6 quiche. Three with ricotta and roasted red pepper and three with ham, cheese, tomatoes and onion. They are for the freezer to be taken out for hubby's packed lunches.

Might make an apple tart too as I have some pastry left over. :D
irishcountry-cousin
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 25th, 2013, 5:09 pm

slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Annie » January 26th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 26th, 2013, 8:33 pm

There was some lovely English forced rhubarb in the farm shop today, so today I have baked a rhubarb and orange crumble with an oaty topping, for tomorrow's supper :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby curry-man86 » January 27th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Not today but yesterday chicken and mushroom pie

Served with carrots and courgettes and plenty left over for today and tomorrow lunch
Bonne Chance

Curry-man86

If all else fails...................................

Try reading the Instructions
curry-man86
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 27th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Don't think the walnuts would sink as the mixture is quite dense with grated carrot.

Today I made an all bran loaf for work with chopped apricots, flaked coconut and chocolate bits. Will see how long it lasts tomorrow - usually a good indication of whether the flavour combo works or not.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 28th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Thanks Mrs Woof.

Didn't make the buns this weekend, made a coconut loaf cake though (nearly all gone now :oops: ?).
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 28th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Sultana Scones and a batch of crackers.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby irishcountry-cousin » January 29th, 2013, 11:45 am

I made an apple tart and took it to my Mum's. Aren't I the perfect daughter!
irishcountry-cousin
Registered

Postby Hope » January 31st, 2013, 12:54 pm

Dan Lepard's ginger roots cake (with swede). :hungry: I'm working my way through short and sweet and I've loved all of his recipes I've made so far!
Hope
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 31st, 2013, 8:41 pm

Cherry loaf cake, 'tis quite nice if I say so myself.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Annie » February 1st, 2013, 8:10 pm

Going to a friends for tea tomorrow and her daughter, who will be there is vegan. So I've just made some vegan Chocolate Almond Fudge Shortbread from the GF mag Feb issue. It says it makes 12 but I've made 10 out of it.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 2nd, 2013, 11:48 am

I've never really been a baker and have only ever made pastry a couple of times before (hands too warm). Today, I had some sausagemeat to use up though which a friend at work gave me having been on a mission to clear her freezer of bits she knows she won't eat. So, good old Delia came out this morning and I've had a go at making her quick flaky pastry - it looked OK. Mixed the sausagemeat with some chopped onion, chopped dried apricots and assortment of herbs and some chilli flakes. Made into sausage rolls, snippy decoration on top, egg washed and dusted with poppy seeds. They are now in the oven - we shall see ;)
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Annie » February 2nd, 2013, 3:01 pm

It's rubbish IMO about hands being to warm. I am told I make very good pastry and my hands are always warm. I do chill the pastry crumbs though after I've rubbed them in but before in mix it. and always run the tap a little before getting the water to use.
Last edited by Annie on February 2nd, 2013, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » February 6th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Made some sausage rolls and Cornish pasties today.The sausage rolls were made using shop bought puff pastry, some good quality sausages unravelled from their skins and red onions cooked very slowly until soft and sweet.The Cornish pasties were made with skirt, carrot instead of swede (sacrilege I know) and potato.Was very pleased with the homemade shortcrust pastry.I make mine with half fat to flour and the fat is always half lard to butter, which I find gives a crisp pastry.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » February 6th, 2013, 8:36 pm

I was mostly taster and prodder but staying with my auntie and made 2 mary berry's recipes from one of the weekend mags -

cornish sticky cake - lovely florentine style topping with a warming ginger kick, very tasty and would make again

Pear and lemon curd tart - auntie struggled with pastry - managed to line dish fairly well but you have to roll out another piece to go over a relatively wet topping and it fell apart completely, even after chilling. In the end we cut it into heart shapes and arranged over the filling. Overall it tastes really nice but the filling didn't set as much as it looks in the picture and it went quite brown on edges
Hello edible world!

anneskitchen
Registered

Postby mrsmosey » February 6th, 2013, 9:44 pm

mrsmosey
Registered

Postby Annie » February 6th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Just taken out of the oven poppy seed cookies and oat and peanut butter cookies. I'm taking them into the women's centre tomorrow where I go for my computer accounting class.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 6th, 2013, 11:55 pm

I did a fat-free sponge yesterday. But today, all I managed was two baked potatoes.....
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Breadandwine » February 7th, 2013, 12:54 am

Tonight I baked a reduced calorie carrot cake. I cut the sugar by a fifth and replaced half of the oil with mashed banana, so 40g of sunflower oil instead of 80g. I also left out the walnuts I usually use. It was OK - very nice, actually, but I admit I missed the sweetness of the original. (Didn't stop me eating two pieces of it before the cake had cooled down! :chops: )

I'll put the recipe on my blog, shortly, in the 5:2 range I've been building.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Lilylouise » February 7th, 2013, 7:18 pm

I am hoping to make Simon Hopkinsons Mum's cheese and onion pie on saturday - I have made it before and it was yummy !!
Lilylouise
Registered

Postby Annie » February 7th, 2013, 10:00 pm

I haven't made a cheese and onion pie in an age.

I love love love baking I find it really relaxing and satisfying. The only problem is someone has to eat it and that means me usually.

I bake like mad when daughter is home or I'm going through to see her.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » February 8th, 2013, 1:59 am

Here's the (calorie counted) carrot cake recipe,

I had another slice today - and I was wrong. It is just as gorgeous as the original.

To lower the calories, I:
Reduced the sugar by about a 5th
Left out the walnuts
Halved the amount of oil

I also reduced the size of the cake since, making it in the microwave as I was, I was afraid it would overflow.

It made 10 slices, each weighing 42g and containing 134 calories. Most of them are now in the freezer (the only way I know to stop me pigging out!) :lol: :lol:

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » February 8th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Paul - I often replace all the sugar with an equal amount of stewed, pureed eating apple and one or two tablespoons of agave syrup. You can use stewed pureed dates in rich fruit cakes and chocolate cake instead of the apple, or a mixture of the two, with some molasses. I haven't noticed cakes being any less sweet.
Hope
Registered

Postby EmWilk » February 9th, 2013, 2:22 pm

EmWilk
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » February 9th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Thanks for that Em. These are on the list to be made very soon so I will definately do that.

Hope you found something to bake to satisfy that urge (blast the calories, just add them to the holiday count) :lol: .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Lilylouise » February 10th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Lilylouise
Registered

Postby Luca » February 10th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Looks lovely Lilylouise. :)
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Any left Lilylouise? :hungry:

That pastry looks very good :tu:

Yesterday I made some wholemeal bread for the first time for a long time - when the children were at home I made all our bread, but since divorce and working full-time .... :roll:
Anyway, using the River Cottage Bread Book I made a two wholemeal loaves (one with roasted squash in it) and some rolls. I'm very chuffed with the way they turned out - the Baking Gods must've been smiling on me a good rise, an even crumb and good crust. OH is a happy man and is looking forward to my retirement ;) Next time I think I'll add some sage to the roasted squash.

Today I've got a boiled fruit cake in the oven for OH's after work 'tea and cake' time this week. A boiled fruitcake is so useful as it stays moist longer, and also you don't have to remember to take the butter out of the fridge to soften before you can make it :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » February 10th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Squash and sage bread sounds lovely. Must look that up as I've got the book too!

Dan Lepard let me down yesterday :( I made his quinoa and hazelnut cake and it's not very nice. The rest will probably go to the birds.

So today I made some of my standard muffin mix with the last tablespoon of the mincemeat left from christmas, some chopped apricots and sultanas. Hopefully they are nice. Currently cooling...
Hope
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2013, 1:17 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » February 10th, 2013, 3:01 pm

thanks Suffs!
Hope
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » February 10th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Not today but the past week I have baked a Date and Walnut loaf and a Marmalade loaf cake.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Annie » February 10th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Paul, Baking in the Microwave reminds me of the other day but I warn you of bad language in the clip so if you are easily offended please do not watch.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Annie » February 10th, 2013, 6:10 pm

One of the favourite breads in this house is sweet potato bread. Daughter always requests it. The idea behind potato in home made bread it to make it last longer although it doesn't last longer in this house, the opposite in fact.

Seriously though it will last a lot longer and will go mouldy rather than stale eventually.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » February 11th, 2013, 12:51 am

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Lilylouise » February 11th, 2013, 5:59 am

Lilylouise
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 11th, 2013, 7:10 am

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2013, 8:04 am

Hi Lilylouise :D - here it is - I've adapted it slightly from a very old edition of Farmhouse Kitchen - in there it was called Mrs Robin's Fruitcake.

4oz unsalted butter
6oz granulated sugar
6 oz sultanas
6 oz raisins
2 oz chopped candied peel
8 fl oz water (I sometimes use cold tea or even orange or apple juice)
1 level teaspoon bicarb
1 and a half teaspoons mixed spice
2 beaten eggs
4 oz plain flour
4 oz SR flour
pinch salt.

Place butter, sugar, fruit, liquid, bicarb and mixed spice in a largeish pan, bring to the boil and simmer for one minute.
Allow to cool (really quite cool or the eggs will curdle when added!)
Add beaten eggs, flours and salt and mix well.
Pour into a 7 inch square or 8 inch round tin, greased and lined with baking paper.
Bake in the middle of the oven at 180C/Gas mark 4 for 1hr 15 mins to 1hr 30mins.

The recipe states 1hr 15 mins, but I find it needs 15 minutes longer.
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Bakers Oven