[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - what have you baked today?

what have you baked today?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Re: what have you baked today?

Postby fizl » December 15th, 2012, 10:41 am

This was the carpet picnic - just a picnic in the living room :)

fizl
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 15th, 2012, 11:00 am

Pork pie, celery and coleslaw :D :chops: :chops: :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » December 15th, 2012, 6:46 pm

today I baked:

mince pies
cheese straws (because it's impossible not to when I make pastry!)
and spelt mincemeat chelsea bun type thing (which is gorgeous!)
Hope
Registered

Postby Lily » December 15th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Today I baked Mary Berry's mincemeat loaf using up half a jar of leftover mincemeat

Then I made parsnip and celeriac bake for dinner...delish. A huge bag of parsnips from Lidl were 50p this week.
Lily
Lily
Registered

Postby fizl » December 16th, 2012, 11:39 am

Me and my 2 year old have made christmas fairy cakes. The kitchen may look a little 'decorated' now

fizl
Registered

Postby Hope » December 16th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Love it Fizl! I can see lots of little green dots on the worksurface! enjoy the clean up! Will he help? My son always likes cleaning up with me!
Hope
Registered

Postby fizl » December 16th, 2012, 1:32 pm

She will happily clean the floor all day, and the dining table. Haven't convinced her to do the worktop yet as she has to stand on a chair and she is still very small (wearing 12-18 month clothes still and she is 2 years 4 months)
fizl
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » December 18th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Lovely stuff, fizl!

Breadmaking next?

Made a carrot cake and a chocolate cake - both vegan - plus a pizza with blitzed roasted onion and balsamic vinegar instead of tomato, plus vegan cheese.

Couldn't try either of the cakes since I began a fast straightaway after dinner! :(
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » December 19th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Paul I love the sound of your onion pizza sauce. I will definitely do that one day!

Today I baked yet another spelt soda bread (love it!) and Dan Lepard's stone fruit cake with (tinned) peaches and (frozen homegrown) raspberries. Unfortunately it wasn't cooked until just before the boys' bedtime, so we'll have to wait until tomorrow to have any.
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 19th, 2012, 9:08 pm

You make too many nice things Paul, don't know how you keep your weight under control :)
Mamta
Registered

Postby fizl » December 20th, 2012, 6:59 pm

If I can convince her to make bread I will, at best I can get her to knock it back, but she doesn't like the feel, so haven't convinced her to try any kneeding yet
fizl
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » December 21st, 2012, 12:13 am

Great stuff - you're ahead of me!

I have a pic of my grandson, Alfie, kneading dough in his high chair at 15 months! And of his sisters making Chelsea buns and rolling out pizzas at age 2+.

Here's a post on my blog about breadmaking and kids with some ideas - I'm sure you'll have more:

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » December 21st, 2012, 11:44 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 22nd, 2012, 9:21 am

Hello Paul, good morning. I went to Sainsbury's at 6 this morning to avoid crowds,, but no luck, people were already there before me :roll:
I must do a fast day tomorrow. there are just too many temptations around the kitchen at the moment!
No, I am not baking this week, too much to do. I just bought some ready made artisan breads for the family visiting on Christmas day. We will be around 10 people (2 children counted as 1one ) for two breakfasts, 25th and 26th.
Have a lovely baking session with grandchildren and a lovely Christmas :tu:
Mamta
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 22nd, 2012, 1:44 pm

I've baked a madeira cake! First one I've ever made and I'm quite proud of it. Unfortunately, the lemon peel I twisted artistically on the top sunk a bit during cooking and is now just underneath the surface, but hey :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » December 23rd, 2012, 6:46 pm

I made a big batch of my chai fruit dough and made a loaf, buns and tear share round one - ones for friends, ones for work and the other will be munched at home over the next few days :D
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » December 25th, 2012, 1:40 am

This morning, with the help of my grandchildren, we baked (all with bread dough):

Mincemeat tarts
Christmas loaf
Christmas tear and share loaf
Marzipan sandwiches - cut out the dough in a bell shape, say, roll out the marzipan and cut out the same shape, then another dough shaped bell on top
Reindeer droppings
Gluten free 'sizzlers' - bread wraps with cheese and tomato filling

This evening I made 5 rolls from the rest of the GF dough which I'd had proving all day, plus a sunflower oil brioche with which to wrap my homemade haggis for Christmas dinner tomorrow.

The haggis en croute has just come out of the oven and I've had a taste of the crust - it is absolutely gorgeous! No, glorious is a better word!

While I'm writing this down I'll give the ingredients - otherwise I might forget.

160g mix of strong and plain flour (I'd run out of bread flour!)
1 stock cube
1 rounded teaspoon of curry powder
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
4 s-d-tomatoes chopped small
10g fresh yeast
70g lukewarm water
20g tomato puree
1 dessertspoon vegan pesto
25g EVOO

Mixed into a dough.

Then 80g of the oil from the s-d-ts was poured into the bowl and incorporated into the dough - with difficulty. After a couple of minutes squeezing and turning repeatedly it was pretty ragged and I thought I'd used too much oil. But I persevered and suddenly it became like a ciabatta dough - neither a batter or a dough, but somewhere in between. At this stage I added a further 25g of flour and, after a bit more kneading and squishing (to use the technical term! :)). I was able to begin rolling it out. It was a very wet dough and after a couple of attempts I realised I'd be better rolling it out on some baking parchment, which was what I did. Flouring it liberally, I got it to the size I required, covered the dough with thinly sliced mushrooms and gently folded the dough over the haggis. Normally I would hack away with a pair of scissors to get the least amount of dough to haggis ratio I could. Not this time. I was just happy I'd enclosed it.

I'll continue this story tomorrow - I have a load of pics I'll post on my blog and I'll give all the references I need to (including Tartine's olive oil brioche recipe, which I followed loosely).

Goodnight, and a Merry Christmas to all the bakers out there! :D :D :D
Last edited by Breadandwine on December 25th, 2012, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 25th, 2012, 6:49 am

Merry Christmas Paul !!! :chef:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » December 25th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Thanks, suff! You're an early bird, aren't you?

However, on this occasion, I wasn't far behind - the grandchildren were ready to open their presents at 7, so we all had to be there to witness it! :(

Must admit I had an hour's kip this afternoon! :tu: :tu: :tu:

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby elaine » January 1st, 2013, 12:13 pm

I made bread pudding and Pan Rustico yesterday. I had run out of wholemeal bread flour for the Pan Rustico so used wholemeal plain flour. The bread came out lighter, tasted ok, so may use wholemeal plain flour again.

Today, I'm making bacon & onion fougasse. Never made it before, so will be interesting to see how it comes out.
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby terifaulkner » January 1st, 2013, 3:58 pm

hi everyone...I just put an upside down german chololate cake in the oven to take to a dinner later...teri
terifaulkner
Registered

Postby Hope » January 3rd, 2013, 7:03 pm

yesterday I made a chocolate and orange drizzle cake. accidentally!

I started off making this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/choco ... cake_44817 but with sunflower oil instead of olive, and the zest of one orange instead of vanilla.

But it had a bitter aftertaste and didn't taste orangey enough, so I squeezed the orange, poked the cake with a skewer and poured the juice over.

It's gorgeous - moist, light, tasty. Even Mr Hope who professes to not like chocolate loves it. (Shame really, as that means there's less for me!)
Hope
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » January 7th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Yesterday I baked a pear, almond and sultana cake, which came out well - light and flavoursome. I had lots of pears all ripe so helped dispose of some of them! 8-)
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby MollyPolly » January 8th, 2013, 8:39 am

Yesterday I baked two banana-based loaves, one with sultanas and one with stem ginger. They looked lovely when they came out of the oven and I put them on a wire rack in the back porch to cool. Foolishly, I didn't cover them or close the outside door so when I went to retrieve them something (birds?) had tucked into the tops of them!
(I cut the damaged tops off then tasted a slice. Sod's law - it was one of the best I've made so I sliced them both & have frozen the individual pieces for later. Would you have thrown them away?)
MollyPolly
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 8th, 2013, 11:11 am

I made Dan Lepard's Panettone yesterday. It's turned out OK. I think it could have risen more, but I seem to have a poor rise every time I make a sweet, buttery, dough. Next time I may put in more yeast. I think that was the tip from Paul Hollywood on GBBO.

I'll try a photo later...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » January 9th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I've just remembered about a photo - and we have eaten half of it!! :)

Photo is slightly blurred... Could have risen a touch more and it coud have done with 10 mins more in the oven, but the top was getting very dark and the skewer came out clean.

DSC03114.JPG
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Breadandwine » January 9th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Looks absolutely delicious, Will! Wouldn't mind a slice myself... :chops:

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 9th, 2013, 6:39 pm

I'm afraid that it's not for you, Paul! It has eggs in it. :(

Recipe is here - and he forgot to list the sugar in the list of ingredients for the sugar crust!! :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... NTCMP=SRCH
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » January 10th, 2013, 12:37 am

An attempt at German sourdough, but with a packet of German "Sauerteig" powder rather than one I made from scratch...

Last edited by aero280 on January 10th, 2013, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Breadandwine » January 10th, 2013, 1:54 am

I bags the crust! Now that I can have, I'm sure! :D

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 10th, 2013, 10:04 am

Yes, just the normal bread stuff. Flour, salt, honey, yeast.
aero280
Site Admin

§

Postby Breadandwine » January 10th, 2013, 10:20 am

Damn honey! That's a no-no, too, I'm afraid! :(

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 10th, 2013, 11:37 pm

I baked 18 big blueberry muffins. I'll take them to work for people to have with a brew.

Forgot to take a picture and I'm in bed now. Maybe tomorrow if I remember!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 10th, 2013, 11:37 pm

I baked 18 big blueberry muffins. I'll take them to work for people to have with a brew.

Forgot to take a picture and I'm in bed now. Maybe tomorrow if I remember!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 10th, 2013, 11:53 pm

aero280
Site Admin

Postby MrsWWoof » January 12th, 2013, 11:18 am

I'm having a go at making naan bread today (never made it before). It's on it's prove at the moment with another 45 minutes or so to go then I'll be knocking it back, rolling it into naan shapes, brushing with melted ghee and cooking on both sides in my large crepe pan. Getting quite excited - I love naan bread.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 12th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Well, that was a complete disaster!

The dough was very sticky and not at all of a consistency where I could roll it out. Not wanting to completely waste it - I "dolloped" it onto the heated griddle pan and cooked on both sides but it just wasn't naan bread! The recipe I used said to use plain flour which I did - could this have been the reason for failure?

Oh well, will have to try again - if anyone has a simple T & T recipe I'd quite like to have another go today.

I have in: bread flour, plain flour, yoghurt, fast acting yeast, sugar, salt, eggs, ghee.

Any help would be gratefully receive as really don't want to go searching around the internet.

Thank you x
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » January 12th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Hi Mrs W!

Here's my T&T naan bread recipe

As long as you keep the proportion of water to flour the same, you can play around with this recipe as you wish!

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 12th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Many thanks Paul - I was hoping you'd be along at some point. I have printed the recipe out and will now have a go tomorrow instead as I was in a definite baking mood so decided to make some individual carrot buns to keep me out of mischief and satisfy my baking urge for today.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » January 12th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 12th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Carrot Buns

3.5 oz dark brown sugar (I used demerara)
6oz margarine
1 egg
1 tbsp water
8 oz grated carrots (had some leftover from Christmas languishing in the bottom of the fridge)
5 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nugmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 180C. 12 cup bun tray greased or use muffin paper cases

Cream marg and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the egg and water. Stir in the carrots. Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir well to mix. Spoon mixture into your bun tray or cases (sitting in bun tray). Bake for about 25 mins until the top springs back when touched lightly. Stand for 10 mins in tray and then put on cooling rack.

Mine will be iced/decorated with some form of buttercream icing and various decorations tomorrow. Recipe makes 12 (but I only have 10 left due to the necessity to taste). The texture is nice and light.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » January 12th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Thanks.

For comparison here's the recipe for my vegan carrot cake - could easily be carrot buns, of course!

165g s/r flour
200g sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground ginger
80g grated carrots
70g chopped walnuts
80g vegetable oil
220ml water

Assemble dry ingredients - stir with a whisk to distribute spices evenly. Add oil and water - stir with a spoon then with a whisk. Bake in an 8" tin for 35-40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.

I don't bother icing this cake - for two reasons. First of all we can do without the extra calories - and secondly, I'm a lazy git!

The s/r flour just saves baking powder, really. The different spices are interesting - I really like the flavour that the addition of cloves gives to the cake.

I'm much less adventurous with sweet spices than I should be. This is the only recipe I use cloves in, for instance.

Note to self:
Next time you make fruit buns, include a teaspoon of ground cloves!

Just to finish, it's my wife's favourite cake! :)

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Annie » January 15th, 2013, 4:22 pm

I've had a great few weeks baking while daughter has been home.

Oat cookies (vegan) with peanut butter and/or raisins. Ginger cookies with lots of spices and stem ginger.

I made a batch of basic cake mixture on Sunday and added, fruit to some, Turkish delight drinking chocolate to another few and coconut to a few more. To name but a single batch of cakes.

I've baked several pies both vegetarian and meat.
And the bread, loads of it in particular her favourite sweet potato bread.

But tomorrow my daughter wends her way back for exams so it will be no more baking for a while. I must send her stocked up with baked goodies though.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » January 15th, 2013, 11:48 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 16th, 2013, 12:12 am

Tonight was a slow cooked beef casserole with onion and carrot, served with braised celery and jacket potato. Mmmmmm! :chef:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby terifaulkner » January 19th, 2013, 4:57 am

hello all...today...sat 19th...we are having a birthday party for my fil...his 80th..I have made brownies...but willmake pineapple upsidedown cake...cocktail sausages..a shrimp platter and a block of cream cheese covered with pepper jelly...it should be fun...teri
terifaulkner
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » January 19th, 2013, 6:19 am

I have removed some home made puff pastry from the freezer and intend to make some Eccles cakes when it has defrosted.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Annie » January 19th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Last edited by Annie on January 19th, 2013, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 19th, 2013, 5:30 pm

slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Annie » January 19th, 2013, 8:06 pm

I used to often mess about with the recipe slim. Leaving out the raisins, adding chocolate chips or roughly chopped hazelnuts leaving out the peanut butter but adding an extra tablespoon of margarine (or butter in the case of leaving out the peanut butter) to get the right consistency as they can be a bit on the dry side to work with without that bit extra.
The recipe is quiet old and only in oz I've never converted it to grams.
Ginger cookies:

10oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tblsp vegetble oil
5 tblsp black treacle
8 oz dark brown sugar
1 very large egg or 2 small ones
8 pieces ginger in syrup(cut 2 into small thin strips and reserve for the tops and chop the rest)
caster sugar for coating.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
beat until smooth the oil, treacle and sugar, add the egg, chopped ginger (with any syrup attached) and flour.
Put caster sugar on a plate and when the mixture is combined take dessert spoonfuls, form into a ball and toss in the sugar to coat. Put coated cookies onto a baking sheet and place a piece of ginger on the top of each one they will spread quite a bit so allow plenty of room. Bake at 180C for approximately 10-12 minutes.
I find it makes around 45 cookies. The sugar coating does make a difference.

As with the oat cookies I have no idea how long they last as they disappear very quickly.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Bakers Oven