[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - what have you baked today?

what have you baked today?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Re: what have you baked today?

Postby Breadandwine » September 5th, 2012, 11:19 am

Hope, I've been meaning to answer your snake bread query - and keep forgetting!

One of my students, Matt, at the care home where I work on Thursday mornings, whatever bread we're making , always wants to shape it like a snake. He also has an obsession with curry, so that almost every bread he makes has a dessertspoon or two of curry powder in it.

If you look at my daily bread posts and search for "Matt", you'll see many versions of a curried snake bread. He's a lovely guy, really enjoys the breadmaking - and always washes up after the session - but it's not easy to get him to make something else.

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 5th, 2012, 11:40 am

Today I have some brown bread on the go. It will be in the oven in about an hour.

I may make some Spelt Crackers later. They go down well here. Much better than digestives. Although they do have a lot of butter in them..........
aero280
Site Admin

Postby MollyPolly » September 5th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Homity pies for my son & his friends when they head off to 'Bestival' tomorrow.
MollyPolly
Registered

Postby Hope » September 5th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Thanks for the explanation Paul! I really do admire you for your bread classes! :kneel:

Aero - any chance of sharing your spelt crackers recipe please?
Hope
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 5th, 2012, 5:45 pm

No problem! :)

It's a Dan Lepard recipe that I found in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... pes-lepard

I've also made the polenta crackers, but they need to be fresh and they go soft quickly, so I have to put them in the oven for a minute or two before use, even it they are kept in a tin. So I tend to make the spelt and oatmeal crackers more often.

I gloss the crackers with Lakeland Egg Spray and then sometimes I sprinkle on some topping. Usually sesame or flax seed.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Hope » September 5th, 2012, 6:02 pm

thanks. they sound nice!
Hope
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 5th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Thanks, Hope. TBH, it's not like work - it's just going to make bread with some friends!

I'm very lucky! :tu:

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » September 6th, 2012, 9:10 am

lemon and blueberry muffins today. cooked in 14 minutes at 180C. think i must've got the temperature wrong!
Hope
Registered

Postby amazing » September 6th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Just knocked up a few scones.
Attachments
Scones 003.jpg
Freshly made Scones
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby Hope » September 8th, 2012, 12:56 pm

yesterday - another spelt pan rustico. Due to a slight misreading of the recipe, I skipped the first prove. Just kneaded, shaped, proved and then backed. But it's still a fantastic loaf. I reckon you don't need 2 proves with this one (although that may just be because I use spelt). I only started eating it today and already, somehow, half of it has gone! :oops:
Hope
Registered

Postby irishcountry-cousin » September 8th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Yesterday, I made 8 apple tarts, mainly for the freezer, but one is gone already, :roll: and another found its way to a neighbour's house :D . Still only five got the the freezer. I think OH has stashed one away in a secret hiding place!!
irishcountry-cousin
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » September 8th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Today I baked three loaves of bread. One for the bread bin, and two for the freezer. Should last a few days!
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Hope » September 8th, 2012, 5:44 pm

an experimental apple and blackberry strudel today. I had a piece of Paul's recipe homemade pasta left and wondered if it'd work instead of filo. It sort of did, but needs a bit of work (especially on the folding part). OK, I admit it rather fell to pieces, but it still tasted nice! (according to everyone else, I was too stuffed after the lasagne, but there's a bit left over which I'll have tomorrow.) Definitely one to work on.
Hope
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » September 8th, 2012, 9:06 pm

I made a pissaladiere which I thought was lovely and Onslow disliked!
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 8th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » September 9th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Hope
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 9th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I started out making a dried apricot and walnut loaf for OH's lunchbox but then spotted an opened pack of prunes so used those instead of the apricots and then decided walnuts wouldn't work so added a bit of vanilla and a tiny shake of cinnamon. OH has declared it delicious and has said the prune bits taste like fudge!
Rocky
Registered

Postby Hope » September 10th, 2012, 5:50 pm

#1 son made some little plum pies after school today. I mostly just supervised and leant a hand when needed. He loved it! they are a bit wonky and overflowed, but he's very pleased with himself and enjoyed the fruits of his labour! I love letting him get on with bakimg by himself. Next time I might write out the recipe and get him to read it too (he's onlky 5, so still quite new to reading!)
Hope
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 10th, 2012, 10:07 pm

That's lovely to hear, Hope - I really enjoy reading your stories about baking with your children!

This morning I made a dozen bread rolls using the no-knead method - started it yesterday morning.

Made a dozen GF scones tonight, in response to a request from a local cafe - and a GF loaf from Andrew Whitley's Bread Matters.

Haven't tried the loaf yet - I want to take it into the cafe intact, tomorrow.

However, despite me making a real cock-up with the flour to liquid ratio with the scones, they've turned out quite nice!

I shall stick the recipes, with links and pics, on the GF post on my blog shortly.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Suzanne » September 11th, 2012, 11:06 am

Morning

I tried the no knead loaf yesterday and was very pleased with the results. Will be making rolls and pizza at some point this.
Suzanne
Registered

Postby mrsmosey » September 11th, 2012, 11:53 am

A batch of rusks in the oven and a wholewheat loaf in the breadmaker on the go!
mrsmosey
Registered

Postby Hope » September 11th, 2012, 3:42 pm

apple and almond cake with some of the apples I picked at the weekend. I had to make it when #1 son was at school or he'd probably refuse to eat it after seeing the state of some of the apples (some of which had residents!)
Hope
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 11th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Another batch of Dan Lepard's spelt crackers.

Probably bread tomorrow.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Hope » September 12th, 2012, 1:33 pm

pan rustico today. only did one rise again. best one so far.

I hope to make some breading pudding for #1 son's lunch boxes later. hopefully with him helping too. if not today, tomorrow as i've already got my old-dry bread bag out of the freezer.
Hope
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 15th, 2012, 9:51 am

Last night I made a vegan chocolate cake:

in the microwave. It's very odd - after about 8 minutes partly on full power partly on 50%, the middle of the top stubbornly refused to set.

I even inserted a skewer horizontally about 1cm down from the top - and it came out clean.

In the end (since I was freezing it in 50g chunks) I cut out the circle of cake and did that for another minute on full power - and finally it was cooked.

I'm afraid only about 400g made it into the freezer - and the whole cake generally weighs about 700g!

Then this morning I've made 2 large spicy naans:

for my breakfast for the next couple of weeks.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » September 15th, 2012, 4:12 pm

I love the sound of your fruit naans Paul. Must try that next time we have curry.

Today, pizzas and a small loaf (possibly "splat" would be a better word as it's not held its shape) of spelt bread.
Hope
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 15th, 2012, 5:04 pm

I've just made some bagels... Can't believe how easy they were! Will definitely be making those again.

There are 2 very sorry looking bananas in the kitchen so may just go and make banana bread too.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 16th, 2012, 10:14 am

Scones :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » September 16th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Em - I need to make some of those. what recipe did you use?

#1 son and I have been baking again - lemon drizzle cake. his favourite! i even let him crack the eggs today - normally i'm too much of a control freak to let him!

looking back at this thread it amazes me how often i do bake something!
Hope
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 16th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Hope, I got the idea reading Paul's blog. I then had a look at a few other recipes and they all seemed to be a standard dough just like I'd use to make pizza.

After proving, I just shaped into rolls, then bagels by sticking my finger through the middle and twirling them round. Rested for 10 mins then poached for a minute each side before egg washing, topping with sesame seeds and baking at 200 for 20 mins. Soooo easy!

Last night I made a variation on my banana and walnut tea loaf by swapping the walnuts for some mixed nuts which I'd baked with sugar and salt and had been sat in a jar on my shelf. Yum!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » September 16th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Flapjacks, plain and chocolate chip.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby elaine » September 16th, 2012, 5:09 pm

I made a tea loaf earlier - possibly the nicest I've ever tasted

Made 2 plum pies yesterday and a few days ago made Pan Rustico again! but this time I divided the mixture to make 2 small loaves, one went in the freezer which I used earlier today, having crisped it up in the oven first- it was delicious :chops:

Hope - if your son enjoys baking then encourage him. When my son was younger he too helped me to make cakes, although he disappeared when the washing up needed doing. He makes very good sponge cakes - apparently - as I've never seen one he's made, he hasn't made me any! :lol: He's also good at making chocolate & caramel slice.
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby Hope » September 16th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Thanks Em. that does sound really easy!

Elaine - i definitely do encourage him! He really enjoys it and I love the special us time with him! I hope it lasts.

I'm going to need to make a banana cake or banana muffins soon and we've gt a banana that's passed it and a few more on the way!
Hope
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 16th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Tonight we're baking a stuffed marrow for supper. We won the marrow in a raffle on Wed night! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby irishcountry-cousin » September 16th, 2012, 10:32 pm

irishcountry-cousin
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » September 17th, 2012, 9:52 am

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Lily » September 17th, 2012, 10:05 am

Yesterday I made mini apple strudel cakes, so yummy. The recipe was one from Jo's Blue Aga, Jo Wheatley the winner of the Bake Off last year. I was a bit nervous baking filo pastry on top of a sponge type mixture but it worked a treat. :flip:
Lily
Lily
Registered

Postby elaine » September 18th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Hope - next time you make PanRustico, cut a small piece of dough and give to you son to knead so he can make his own special roll - I'm sure he'll enjoy that too.
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby Hope » September 18th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Thanks Elaine. I usually make it when he's at school. He does help me knead (we take it in turns or do half the dough each, then swap every now and again) when I make bread and he's around. He was too tired after school to help make the flatbreads for dinner last night, so he opted to just watch. He was quite fascinated though!
Hope
Registered

Postby elaine » September 18th, 2012, 1:18 pm

I think its really great your son is interested in cooking - so much better than the Playstation or whatever they play with! :lol:
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby Hope » September 21st, 2012, 8:25 am

yesterday 8 banana muffins. 4 with mixed spice and raisins, 4 with chocolate, 2 of which also had chopped hazelnuts in.

Not sure if it's because I've got sinusitis (again) or because i bought the cheapest cocoa powder, but i can't taste the chocolate! :(
Hope
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 22nd, 2012, 10:49 pm

4 pizzas - 1 potato and cheese (for my wife who doesn't like tomatoes) and 3 normal vegan ones. These were topped with a mix of mushroom pate, pesto, hummus and tomato puree - plus a splash of tamari sauce, some dried herbs, 1/4 tsp chilli powder and a dessertspoon of nooch.

Oh, plus mushrooms and tomatoes (on mine).

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » September 24th, 2012, 9:36 am

yesterday i made a rather scrummy apple crumble with some scrumped apples. really intense apple flavour. topped with a mixture of equal parts of butter, oats, ground almonds and gluten free flour, plus a bit of cinnamon. not traditional, but i found it works! and the apples are sweet enough that it doesn't need any extra sweetener in the crumble. yum. will make some custard to go with it later.
Hope
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 24th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Yesterday, we had homemade pizza for tea. I made extra dough and shaped into bagels but didn't really have time to cook them so have left them, covered up, until today. Am going to poach and bake as normal later and see hoe they turn out.

Tomorrow is planned bake day for me... We are doing MacMillan Coffee Morning(s) from Wednesday to Friday this week as people are in and out of the office on Friday when it's supposed to be.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Hope » September 25th, 2012, 5:33 pm

did they work Em? i've still got to make bagels.

today - apple tart tatin (mary berry would give me a telling off as the pastry's a bit soggy, but it's still very yummy!) and garlicky flatbreads to go eith dinner.
Hope
Registered

Postby Suzanne » September 26th, 2012, 7:19 am

Yesterday Banana Bread for hubbys packed lunch and today I have some no knead bread ready for when I get in tonight. Will be making pizza and a couple of rolls for tomorrows lunch. Also plan on making Lemon drizzle cake.
Suzanne
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 26th, 2012, 11:25 am

Hope... they were rubbish! They just went flat after being out for so long so they had to be binned!

I made some more last night though for our Macmillan coffee morning(s)... I made some sundried tomato & olive ones and some cranberry, cinnamon & orange ones. Had a cranberry one for my breakfast and it was lovely. Might toast one of the others later!

I'm gonna do a bit more baking tonight too - brownies, cupcakes and something with the one over ripe banana which i have.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » September 28th, 2012, 6:23 pm

I also baked for the Macmillan coffee morning over the past two evenings - made a batch of chocolate orange oat cookies, a chocolate and almond fudge cake, mocha buns and coconut jam buns. We raised over £50! :tu: :D
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby terifaulkner » September 29th, 2012, 5:39 am

hi everyone...I didn't bake today,but made some potato salad and grape salad for a picnic we are attending saturday...was going to make a coconut cake,but there will be several desserts...anyway grape salad could really be one...could someone give me a recipe for "Christmas cake"..we have fruitcake,but I don't think it's the same...thank you...teri
terifaulkner
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2012, 6:05 am

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuis ... -cake.html

Hi Teri, Delia's is about as good as it gets for traditional English Christmas cakes. :D

then you have to store it properly, and feed it

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/ ... -cake.html

As for marzipanning and icing - of course that comes nearer Christmas time.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Bakers Oven