Out of date bread flour

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Out of date bread flour

Postby FoodMary » April 2nd, 2013, 11:47 am

I have been clearing out and re-organising my baking cupboard and have come across half a bag of ciabatta flour - don't really know how it is different from ordinary bread flour - but it is about a month out of date anyway.

Decided to use it and it is proving near the wood burner and seems to be rising quite well. I only bake bread occasionally even less now I'm on my own.

I'll let you know how it turns out but would be interested to know if others have used out of date flour for bread?

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Re: Out of date bread flour

Postby 4dogsagain » April 2nd, 2013, 11:53 am

I never look at dates, and have probably used out of date flour. All I look for is weevils!
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby hickybank » April 2nd, 2013, 2:32 pm

4dogsagain wrote:I never look at dates, and have probably used out of date flour. All I look for is weevils!

Same here, never go by dates, i it looks o/k, smells o/k then use it.

As for weevils they do not bother me as they are hamless & dont taint the food, pop the bag in the freezer for a couple of days then use it.
You should always check other things it the same cupboard as they do spread though but just treat the same as Flour.

Terry
Last edited by hickybank on April 2nd, 2013, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby FoodMary » April 2nd, 2013, 2:36 pm

Not a bad result, but I would have expected a better rise - maybe my yeast is old too! However, it is edible and probably tastes better than bought.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby hickybank » April 2nd, 2013, 3:40 pm

Hi Mary, much better than shop bought I should think, just taken a Bloomer loaf out of the oven the smell is divine.

Re yeast, this is the one thing I will throw away once it is out of date I have had a couple of failures & always when using old yeast.

Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 4th, 2013, 3:01 pm

'Made' a loaf in the breadmaker recently with flour that was over a year past its sell-by date. Loaf came out fine.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 4th, 2013, 6:15 pm

I made the Mary Berry simnel cake yesterday. Then I realised that the SR flour said "Best before June 12". Cake is fine. :) I did add a touch of baking powder just in case it had lost its "zip".
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 5th, 2013, 11:16 am

iI'd expect a white flour only a month overdue to be fine

Be a bit cuatious with wholemeal though - it can turn rancid as it has an oil content - a good sniff is recommended!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Annie » April 5th, 2013, 7:27 pm

When it comes to bread mix there is also the yeast in it that may die and not allow the bread to rise. A month over the date shouldn't be a problem though. I've had packets of dried yeast that have been poor to work that have been 6 months out of date so if it has been past that I wouldn't bother with them (not that they get that far TBH). like others I look to see if the flour is infested if out of date.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Rainbow » April 6th, 2013, 1:26 am

The bread mixes I buy (Laucke) have the dried yeast in a sealed foil packet. I keep the dried yeast in the freezer and it lasts for ages - not checked how long, but freezing prolongs it's active life.
I've used mixes and flours up to 6 months past the use by date and had no problems.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Annie » April 6th, 2013, 10:59 am

The only time that the dried yeast has gone past the date (or anywhere near it) is when it has got lost in the back of the cupboard. I have a tin of dried yeast sachets of fast action yeast and at one point wouldn't consider anything else other than fresh the drying and storing process has improved a lot over the years. Fresh was always divided into 1oz cubes and frozen.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Lokelani » April 7th, 2013, 8:26 am

I sometimes use the Wrights Ciabatta in my bread machine if I want a super speedy loaf as it works really well with the 1.55 hour fast setting. If it's a little out of date I add half a sachet of fast action yeast just in case. Other than that a very careful look for creepy crawlies.

That's a good point about wholemeal. I suspect I have some to use up now, or sniff carefully if it's just over, as I can really taste if oils or fats have that rancid taste.
Lokelani
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven