BIG Breakfast!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

BIG Breakfast!

Postby Grasshopper » September 8th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Anybode fancy this lot for breakfast?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... kfast.html

If I could swap out the mushrooms & black pud for more toms & beans - that lot would keep me in breakfasts for a WHOLE WEEK! :o

:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Re: BIG Breakfast!

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 8th, 2017, 9:09 pm

That is scary! Anything cooked breakfast wise for me would be limited to one slice of toast, no butter required, Marmite, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, maybe a few baked beans. A black coffee or Earl Grey. I can't think of a single person I know or have encountered who could manage that lot! :sprout: What a horrible waste of daily needed calories and nutrients!
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » September 9th, 2017, 12:41 am

But surely that's really designed for four to six people, not one.
scullion
Registered

Postby Luca » September 9th, 2017, 6:55 am

What an unappealing breakfast. It looks decidedly poor quality food and badly cooked. As for the size of it..... :o
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2017, 8:17 am

Luca wrote:What an unappealing breakfast. It looks decidedly poor quality food and badly cooked. As for the size of it..... :o

scullion wrote:But surely that's really designed for four to six people, not one.

Exactly, it doesn't look like "a" breakfast serving, but a small buffet in a box. Except there would be arguments, too much toast, not enough eggs and beans
Just silly
This is a good big breakfast, the breakfast challenge at Mrs G's cafe in Chipping Sodbury, Mrs G used to post on BBC board, will come back when I remember her name there (eta: she's tizmelouise)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mrs+g%27s+breakfast+challenge&oq=mrs+g%27s+breakfast&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.22845j0j4&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=eaKzWefNJ5mvgAaZ_LrYDw#gws_rd=cr&imgrc=KEXatoK2dbUE8M:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 9th, 2017, 9:09 am

Utterly disgusting but obviously ot meant to just one and clearly poor quality ingredients especially the bread and the sausages. Can you imaginae what it would look like once you got it to whever it was going to be eaten :sprout: :sprout:

I hate the sight of bakes beans and tinned tomatoes on breakfast.

I remeber louise well Sue. She is obviously flourishing.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2017, 9:26 am

Yes, Louise became Mrs G (lovely wedding, I saw photos), bought and revamped the cafe, and I dont think she's looked back
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 9th, 2017, 9:43 am

Actually... if there were a bunch of you and you all had raving hangovers... might be rather splendid (in a similar manner to eating the remains of last night's takeaway). A sort of Greasy Spoon experience in your own home. I can't say I'd be turning my nose up under the right circumstances... :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » September 9th, 2017, 10:47 am

It's obviously designed for 3-4 people and I imagine would go down well with students/lads in a house share. It's the eggs that'd worry me. They'd get all mangled in the box and how would you reheat them

I never get baked beans and tinned tomatoes together in a cooked breakfast. I'm not a massive fry up person but my preference is definitely normal grilled tomatoes , so everything doesn't get wet and sloppy
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 9th, 2017, 11:28 am

That looks the perfect breakfast for all those booze-laden thugs that create havoc in Mallorca.... :evil:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2017, 9:22 am

Baked beans for breakfast?
Not on my plate ... never! :sprout:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 12th, 2017, 9:37 am

Crickey there is 8 slices of toast 3 slices of fried bread cut in to halfs :shock: who can eat 11 slices of bread let alone 6 slices bacon 4 eggs 6 sausages 4 hash brons 4 black pudding slices 2tubs each of beans , tomatoes and mushrooms :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: that would last me 6 weeks + I wonder how many have been sold and actually eaten in one go.

It looks dreadful in a pizza box, Mrs G's looks a bit more appetising and presentable, but I still couldn't eat all that in one sitting. :sprout: :sprout:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 12th, 2017, 10:36 am

I really don't get the reflex reaction to baked beans for breakfast

Been usual for a long time
I sometimes have just beans on toast for breakfast, or that with a fried egg, and I'm pretty sure that was fairly common in the sixties , people who wanted to give their kids a cooked breakfast but would have found a plate of bacon and eggs extravagant for a routine breakfast

I'm not keen on tinned tomatoes for breakfast, preferring fresh grilled or fried until the cut surface has sort of caramel lace patterns on it :chops: but I know people who regard canned tomatoes as an essential part of a big breakfast

Feel free not to have them, but the expressions of shock and horror every time they are mentioned strike me as weird. You can have my fried bread instead; the only thing I dislike more than fried bread for breakfast is eggy bread :sprout: but eat it if you must.

All these breakfasts seem to lack black pudding though!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 12th, 2017, 11:05 am

StokeySue wrote:All these breakfasts seem to lack black pudding though!

Good point Sue.... :chops: :chops: :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 12th, 2017, 11:24 am

I suppose beans give you a little sugar boost. Probably good for hangovers, and less nauseating than eggs.

I don't eat breakfast, unless you count my two and a half hours after getting up banana, so I wouldn't want any of that, even if it were all vegetarian. My husband is partial to this sort of thing though. We used to go out for this type of breakfast at the weekend when we were much younger. Clearly not in anything like this quantity! Mind you in those days we used to do the buy one pizza get another free home delivery deal. Without getting fat! Oh for an early 30-something metabolism.

I eat a small fraction of that amount of food in a day. (It wouldn't last me 6 weeks though :) )
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2017, 11:56 am

Re baked beans as part of a mixed breakfast ... I've felt the same for years ... I just don't like the all-pervading sweet sauce which spreads itself all over the plate, masking the other flavours, along with the large dose of carbohydrates which I find far sits far too heavily in the morning. Until watching a few episodes of Four in a Bed recently I thought I was one of a very small minority.

However, black pudding and/or kidneys are very welcome on my breakfast plate :chops:

I'd be fine with a small portion of baked beans on toast for brunch without the bacon, sausage, egg components.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 12th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Suffs it is the sickly sweet sauce on baked beans that get me too Suffs. :sprout: Feel a bit the same about sausages too, especially cheap ones but kidney and balck pudding, now you are talking. I don't mins hash browns either but forget the maple syrup on bacon and pancakes - no thanks :sprout:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 12th, 2017, 12:32 pm

I quite like beans for breakfast. :chops: I don't like tinned tomatoes though only in bolognese sauce and the like. There is black pudding on the big breakfast pizza box one. :chops: I like a good black pudding :hungry:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Rats ... I like a good coarse meaty sausage for breakfast but hate the ones that look as if they're made from some sort of congealed paste. :sprout: Not a huge fan of hash browns, but sliced boiled new potatoes sautéed in a little butter ... yum :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 12th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Seems to me that this is a bit of a gimmick to advertise take-away breakfasts from this cafe. I find it quite surprising that so many people (and yes, there are a good few) still like this kind of eating challenge despite most being well aware of the health risks and awful after feeling they will face. As for the take-away breakfast, I think it is quite well presented and would be quite popular. Certainly working the shifts that I do along with a lot of young men, they would love to have this delivered to share at work or at home on the morning after the night before and would all probably eat helpings rather larger than they should.

I probably led a sheltered childhood, but didn't see beans served with breakfast until I was grown up when it seemed to become the norm. Beans were usually served for high tea, usually on toast, sometimes with an egg or at boarding school, sausages or beefburgers. There used to be a lot of nice little cafes where you could get tinned beans or tinned spaghetti on toast topped with a fried egg and a cuppa to drink which made a nice little meal at lunchtime or early evening if you were stuck in town between shopping and an evening meeting. Don't seem to see simple things like that much any more. For some time, there seemed to be a bit of a stigma about baked beans and I think people are divided depending on how they were brought up, I am not sure why, perhaps they were seen as poor man's food or people became tired of them during the war.

For some reason I am not keen on beans with a cooked breakfast but like them served as described later in the day. We used only to be able to get fresh tomatoes in the summer so tinned ones in winter seemed fine. I like tinned tomatoes but not with too much juice if served with breakfast. We used to call then skinless mice if they were served in a hotel or guest house :D . I love just tinned tomatoes served on buttered toast with lots of salt and pepper.

I dislike the bought hash browns served so much these days. The real thing which is more like a non-greasy potato rosti and best when made and served in backwater diners in the USA, is lovely.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2017, 1:14 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I probably led a sheltered childhood, but didn't see beans served with breakfast until I was grown up when it seemed to become the norm. Beans were usually served for high tea, usually on toast, sometimes with an egg or at boarding school, sausages or beefburgers. There used to be a lot of nice little cafes where you could get tinned beans or tinned spaghetti on toast topped with a fried egg and a cuppa to drink which made a nice little meal at lunchtime or early evening if you were stuck in town between shopping and an evening meeting. Don't seem to see simple things like that much any more.

I certainly don't remember beans being served as part of the hotel breakfasts of my childhood in the 50s and 60s, but do recall beans on toast with a poached egg being one of the choices for a Children's High Tea before the grown ups' dinner.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 12th, 2017, 1:17 pm

I hate bought hash browns EM but I love home-made ones as I was taught to make them in the southern states :drool:

I have also enjoyed Derbyshire oatcakes with bacon for breakfast - a favourite of s-i-l - in Deerbyshire
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 12th, 2017, 1:22 pm

I haven't had tinned spaghetti since I was a child, it just doesn't seem right now I am a grown up that can cook I don't know why. Yes hash browns or rosti has to be home made. :chops:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 12th, 2017, 1:46 pm

I gave my 2 yr old GD tinned Peppa Pig shaped pasta in tomato the other day (I haven't mentioned it to her mother). She looked at it dubiously, tried a small spoonful and a look of total bliss came over her face. 'Mmmmm!' she exclaimed and cleared the plate until every last scrap of pasta and juice had gone. I have never seen such a reaction from her with any other sweet or savoury food before. (Actually, it was rather nice, I might buy myself some tinned spaghetti ;) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » September 12th, 2017, 2:19 pm

I quite enjoy tinned spaghetti hoops, not keen on the strands though. I always put a dollop of brown sauce on it to spice it up a bit. Hate baked beans, have tried them a few times but I just don't like the texture.
smitch
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2017, 3:45 pm

With me it's the other way around ... quite like the strands (although haven't had them for years) but could never take to the hoops ... the strands have cheese in the recipe, the hoops don't.

If eating tinned baked beans (we like them with sausages and jacket potatoes) we usually prefer the Branston brand ... we find they're larger and firmer beans than Heinz and we like that ... we usually add a dash of Worcestershire Sauce to the pan when heating :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 12th, 2017, 4:46 pm

suffolk wrote:beans on toast with a poached egg

Oh yes- a wonderful combination! As is beans on toast with grated cheddar on top. :chops: :hungry:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2017, 4:56 pm

:chops:
But they do need a generous splosh of Worcestershire sauce to be added to the beans when heating :hungry: (IMHO ;) )
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » September 12th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Beans with breakfast- yes, although not all the time it depends on what I'm having. Tinned spaghetti (small tin) is good when added to a tin of tomato soup, never been keen on the hoops though. Black or white pudding with breakfast is :chops: or even both :lol: especially when a 'tattie scone' is involved. Unfortunately those seem rare in England and the supermarket ones are not the same as those bought from a bakers in Scotland :(

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Amber » September 12th, 2017, 7:55 pm

In Scotland last week we had haggis for breakfast...it was delicious! :D
Amber
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 12th, 2017, 8:19 pm

I was very fond of spaghetti hoops as a child. My mum used to send me to Grandmas for the day clutching a tin. In our house they are referred to as 'getti 'ings as I couldn't get my mouth around the correct pronunciation. My Grandma wouldn't have given such fare houseroom.

Haven't had them in probably 45 years.

BB

Love baked beans- Waitrose own value brand are the best. End of!
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 12th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Oh God. Baked beans with fried eggs? Pass the sick bucket. :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:
Last edited by Pepper Pig on September 13th, 2017, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 12th, 2017, 9:13 pm

I was just looking at tinned spaghetti today in Sainsbury's. I haven't had that in donkey's years. Can imagine that could set you up for the day on a couple of slices of toast. I couldn't hack hoops though. There's something in the hoops that freaks me out slightly. Unexplainable!
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 12th, 2017, 9:39 pm

When I was a lot bigger, a "double breakfast" on a construction site canteen was not unusual. All that's missing from the above is the chips and the mugs of tea. :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby icelesley » September 13th, 2017, 8:49 am

CHIPS....CHIPS !!!! on your breakfast :scared: :terrified: :terrified: :terrified: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO that is just wrong sorry :shock: I don't like chips at the best of times but for breakfast :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:
icelesley
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 13th, 2017, 9:25 am

Ah! But you work indoors in the warm and the dry!! ;)

On one site I was in charge of, the men treated themselves to liver, bacon and onions with crusty bread for "breakfast" every day, and steak and mushrooms and Mother's Pride for "dinner". This was in summer when they worked from 7.00am to 7.00pm. "Breakfast" was at 10am and "Dinner" at 3pm. It was all cooked by a 16 year old lad that they employed to do it.

They would have left home at around 5.30am after a cup of tea. And supper was probably just lots of Guinness... :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby icelesley » September 13th, 2017, 9:43 am

Ah !! If you are talking building site builders then that is different, they are not normal ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 13th, 2017, 9:58 am

aero280 wrote:the men treated themselves to liver, bacon and onions with crusty bread for "breakfast" every day,

:chops: :chops: :chops: :hungry: :hungry:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » September 13th, 2017, 10:07 am

Seatallan wrote:
aero280 wrote:the men treated themselves to liver, bacon and onions with crusty bread for "breakfast" every day,

:chops: :chops: :chops: :hungry: :hungry:

Liver = :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 13th, 2017, 12:09 pm

I adore liver, but not for breakfast which is ridiculous because I would be perfectly happy wth devilled kidneys.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I adore liver, but not for breakfast which is ridiculous because I would be perfectly happy wth devilled kidneys.

Snap! :hi5:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 13th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Not a great fan of kidneys for breakfast but in eastern Europe you often get "liver paste" (the spreadable version of liver sausage) to put on your bread, and I enjoy it, though find no need to continue at home

Going back to baked beans, a lot of the Middle East eats ful medames (brown fava beans) served with olive oil, bread, onion and egg for breakfast; can be very good (or can be very dull)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 13th, 2017, 2:14 pm

:sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: just the thought of liver or kidneys any time of day turns my stomach :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2017, 2:36 pm

icelesley wrote::sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: just the thought of liver or kidneys any time of day turns my stomach :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:

That's good Ice ... All the more for Rats and me :hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 13th, 2017, 4:48 pm

when i was little i was quite happy to chew rubber bands but not the rubber tubing in liver.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 13th, 2017, 4:58 pm

There isn't any rubber tubing in properly prepared liver :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 13th, 2017, 5:15 pm

suffolk wrote:All the more for Rats and me :hungry:

And me!! :D :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Seatallan wrote:
suffolk wrote:All the more for Rats and me :hungry:

And me!! :D :chops:

Ok, I s'pose we can share ... :rolleyes:

:lol: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » September 13th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Lob some this way then :drool:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Catherine » September 13th, 2017, 8:32 pm

I have never eaten breakfast, not even as a kid, so the thought of a cooked breakfast makes my stomach turn, but I appreciate that for some people it is a real treat, the cafes round here all offer chips in some of the breakfast menu options. I have to say when I worked nights we would quite often go to the local café at 8am and for us this was dinner so my colleagues would often go for the full English with. We now live in a 24/7 culture, so I can understand why this is offered.

Talking of peppa pig tinned pasta shapes, I once totally freaked the kids by getting Grampy pig to call them on the phone while they were eating it. Their faces werte hilarious when they actually heard him on the phone (I'm very good friends with his daughter so it was easy to arrange)
Catherine
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop