Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 14th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I'm back and although a bit ragged round the edges happy to say Hector didn't do any more damage to me than make me look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards. He's still out there, whipping the trees a treat. I have just enough time to touch up the paint on my walls before the opening ceremony starts. Walking around town today I realised that this time four years ago I was attaching England flags to my car and organising the sweepstake at work. Now four weeks of being able to watch any match I fancy plus two weeks in the middle with Wimbledon. Spoilt for choice! :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 14th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Lovely to see you Mary ... hope you're well and truly on the mend now :D :hug: :wave:

OH isn't at all interested in football ... I used to go quite regularly to Ipswich home games, standing in the North Stand, back in the great days of Sir Alf Ramsey and later on when dear Sir Bobby Robson was in charge and I saw some wonderful players.

Gt Grandpa was chairman of Luton Town FC (Up the Hatters, Up the Lilly Whites!!! was one of Ma's regular ssayings on a Saturday, causing much embarrassment to her teenage daughter, Lillywhites being the name of a manufacturer of sanitary protection :oops: ) .

My Aged Ps were season ticket holders and my brother can often be found in the Directors' Box at Portman Road ... my niece was a mascot when she was younger. My ex played football to quite a high amateur level and I've watched many matches. I rarely watch nowadays ... not really very interested any more, but may watch an occasional match if it looks promising ... it'd be great if England can get past the groups, but they're young and inexperienced ... this World Cup is mainly about dealing with one of those deficits ... the other will sort itself out ... in time ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 14th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Hi Mary'

Lovely to see you again and hope the improved health continues.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Guernsey film but I understand not much of it was actually filmed on the island.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 14th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Hello Mary, I hope that the weather allows you to get out

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 14th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Shall I just wrap myself in cotton wool?

Got off to a bad start, when I found yesterday's knickers behind my knee, left in my trousers

Man delivered my new backgammon board, really hard to unpack, did it carefully, it is faulty. No return instructions...have emailed them, fingers crossed (bought on credit card just in case)

Was going to go to post office to collect my new sun hat, need ot pick it up asap as I ordered Medium, but looking at their email they have sent Large, so I may need to exchange it ahead of my holiday

Didn't go as I got a text to say some wine was being delivered between 11.20 and 13.20 so I waited in. It turned up at 13.10 in the middle of an hour long slanging match ongoing in the yard, fortunately not in Englis. The thing is, I asked for delivery tomorrow, so I could clear some space and collect the hat first.

Having an ongoing quarrel with giffgaff (I'll put it on the scam thread, when I have the final details) - it's not giffgaff who are scamming me, but they are making it very easy for the con artists.

The chirping noise continues... think I'll have lunch now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 14th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Hello Mary! Good to 'see' you and I hope you'll be able to get out a bit more now we have more summery weather.

As Virgin are discontinuing my basic TV package next month and want me to have a new box, it seems a good time to finally get an aerial fitted and go over to Freeview. I made an appointment with an aerial man this morning and ended up in John Lewis buying a new TV. The man will set it up. Half of me is cross for giving in but it will be quite nice to have a modern one. Mine is 12 years old and works fine so maybe I can find a home for it. The aerial man made it sound like a museum piece. I will get the cost back quite quickly after ditching Virgin. What with that and the fact the sun has appeared so I can paint the window sills I have postponed the trip to the herb garden. I'll go after our morning team meeting next month.

Ha ha Sue! An old frie d always likes to remind me of the time I was dragging a pair of tights from my trouser leg in the pub :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 14th, 2018, 1:53 pm

The cartoon in the paper this week showed the England team bus in the Short Stay parking at Heathrow... :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » June 14th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Hello Mary!

Don't worry about your age. When I broke my leg twenty years ago, my physio told me that healing could be quite slow "because your age is against you"!! :o I'm still here!! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 14th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Sue, I think you should sit down in a dark room for a bit. The knickers made me roar. I haven't had knickers problems like that in the past, but I did once have a trail of toilet paper hanging from the bottom of my skirt. Luckily a friend spotted it as I stepped out of my cubicle so I could rectify it before emerging and embarrassing myself in front of a crowd.

The Cherry Fizz tester pot which I collected this morning is a perfect match to the paint already up, so that touch up job is done. Certainly not a colour I'd choose, but it looks much better now. I have covered up two thirds of the very scabby chimney breast in one coat of brilliant white. One more coat of that then one of Pastel Rose should do it. It's amazing how much bigger the room now appears to be. It's 14ft x 10ft anyway, so quite a size already. Colouring three of four walls burgundy really wasn't the brightest idea the previous tenant had. Maybe they did it to match their furniture. Anyway, feels good getting that job started, plus I joined the library while I was out, a must for a complete bookworm. :tu: Robbie Williams was good at the opening ceremony and I wouldn't call myself a fan. He looked chuffed to bits to be there.

Hello Mary :wave: Nice to see you! Sorry, I missed you earlier in my eagerness to get decorating!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 14th, 2018, 5:41 pm

StokeySue wrote:The chirping noise continues... think I'll have lunch now

I have been meaning to ask if you have found the source, but as you haven't mentioned it in a while now, I presumed you had :scared: :o :td:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 15th, 2018, 5:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. I had been wondering about Sue's chirping noise too.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 15th, 2018, 7:00 am

Good morning wild ones. We didn't get rain yesterday with Hector just wind and dark skies. In fact the Sun came out in the afternoon and I managed to dry some washing on my mini portable Worlygig line, it didn't take long in the wind.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 15th, 2018, 7:54 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I didn't have a great night's sleep. Mr R fell a sleep downstairs and didn't come up until after midnight. Of course I woke up and then couldn't get back to sleep again because it was very warm indeed. If this continues we'll have to get the fans out.

We're having a preview of the house contents sale later this morning and then being taken out to lunch to a nearby and very posh restaurant with a fabulous view over the Luberon,. We do seem to had a few weeks of top class food. Not that we are objecting.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 8:02 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

A lovely calm morning here in Norfolk ... soft sunlight and fluffy clouds. Hope no one had too much wind damage yesterday :rolleyes:

My two clematis for the pergola arrived yesterday, but it was too windy to plant them so I shall do it this morning. Then I will be watering and prepping the garden to be left for a couple of days when we go to MIL's, and I suppose a modicum of hsew*k will have to be seen to :rolleyes: and a blanquette of lamb made for supper along with a dish of braised lettuce and peas.

I'd better finish my coffee and get up and at 'em hadn't I?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 15th, 2018, 8:26 am

Morning all,

Hector seems to be dying down here now. I am hoping for a happy breeze for when I get the bus to the job centre just after lunch. I had intended to scour the mobile phone stores in preparation for when my contract expires in a month but I think I'd rather get home and finish my chimney breast.

Have fun all.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 8:33 am

Hmmm ... OH has to dash into the city and has forbidden me from planting clematis and putting up wires until he gets back ... apparently he doesn't want to return and find me in a crumpled heap under the pergola 'cos my knee's given way ............ so I've got to noodle with you lot and drink coffee until he returns. He shouldn't be very long :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 15th, 2018, 8:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh dear Suffs he knows you so well.
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 15th, 2018, 8:55 am

Good morning everyone,

Dull, chilly & breezy here this morning with rain due this afternoon. Some of my trailing plants are looking wind battered so my job for the next dry day will be to give these some trimming & attention.

My Dad is coming for lunch and at his request we are having corned beef, savoy cabbage, jersey royals and beetroot so not much by way of prep needed. Plenty of time to enjoy a couple of :mug: :mug: before I sort out the veg. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 9:16 am

liketocook wrote:Plenty of time to enjoy a couple of :mug: :mug: before I sort out the veg.

I'm joining you LTC :mug: :mug: a bowl of muesli too :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 15th, 2018, 9:18 am

suffolk wrote:
liketocook wrote:Plenty of time to enjoy a couple of :mug: :mug: before I sort out the veg.

I'm joining you LTC :mug: :mug: a bowl of muesli too :)

Toast and pate with mine :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 9:27 am

That sounds much more interesting than my breakfast ... but mine's healthier ......... :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 15th, 2018, 9:38 am

I had a couple of satsumas with it....... ;) :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 15th, 2018, 10:07 am

Ooh, that reminds me, I should pick up some muesli while I am out. :hungry: That might be from Asda as I want to see if they sell larva lamps.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 10:17 am

Lava lamps Tezza ... larva lamps would be made of caterpillars :lol: ;) :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 15th, 2018, 12:18 pm

:lol: Oops! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 1:22 pm

On the other hand, perhaps you were going to get one of these ...

i-wish-i-were-a-glow-worm.jpg
i-wish-i-were-a-glow-worm.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 15th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Nice one suffolk! :D
Just been watching the news, think Emil Cilliers is the best thriller villian Chris Brookmyre didn't write, but I can only be flippant about it because fortunately Victoria Cilliers looked very well today.
Also heard the news of Leslie Grantham's death

Picked up my sunhat, lovely but ginormous so going straight back for a smaller size, hope they send it in time for my holiday

Had a reply from the backgammon board people, seems like everything will be easily sorted out :tu:

It's a nice day but a little bit humid
Better get to the Post Office so I catch the evening collection
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 15th, 2018, 1:42 pm

The area on the main road down in Episcopi is an odd mixture businesses, there are a collection of automotive related concerns, Jimmy, the Tyre Man is there,and a collection of bars patronised by service personnel from Episcopi Garrison. Because of the reduction in the number of service people some of the bars have had to rethink their purpose. One of these places was a Sports Bar called The Woodman, it has now reinvented itself as The Woody.
We read a review of The Woody in the local paper, it has turned itself into Gastro Pub, so we paid it a visit last night. They have had a total make over. The menu was on loose sheets on a clipboard so that they can be seasonal . We decided on a selection of Small Plates, beautiful Halloumi in a Flaked Almond Crust, Pork Belly on Aubergine Puree , Artichoke bases in a cream sauce, Tempura Prawns and Chinese style Duck Dumplings, we were not impressed by the dumplings but everything else was delicious. There are a number of other Small Plates to try plus some upmarket burgers and salads. There are classic main courses such Lamb Shanks but we will wait for cooler weather to try those items.
The bar had an interesting collection of gins, I had Strawberry Gin. We will be paying them another visit or two and told our Mah Jong playing friends about them this morning

Edited to check about Emil Cilliers, you would think that was a far fetched plot if you saw it on film/TV
Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 15th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Love it Suffs. Just the sort of poem that would enchant your average 5 year old - or me :lol:

Wow what a time we've had. I couldn't help thinking I should ring Zosh. She would have been in seventh heaven. We have an old, heavy and wonderfully patinaed leather armchair for the library - Mr R's lifetime dream and all for 30€. I full legth mirror also old but in the Provencal style for the guest room also 30€. An antique king-sized boutis - Italian quilt - obviously hand made which I intend to use as a throw on our increasingly shabby sofa -20€. Then two beautiful old, person-sized baskets - Jules is already occupying one, 3 varying sized local pottery jars and finally 6 champagne coupes - the Mariantoinette boob sort - to serve my newly learned cocktails in.

We then went up to the restaurant with the view and had various things from steak tartare ( :sprout: ) and gambas to pasta with sea urchins. The desserts were all very retro and sinful.
John -cahrles and his daughter are finding things very hard but it will be lovely to enjoy some of their things in our house to remind us of the family.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 15th, 2018, 2:33 pm

You found some terrific bargains, Rats.
Shakshuka for supper, I sometimes make it with canned tomatoes but found some local large ripe tomatoes and peppers this morning, so that will not take long.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 15th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Love the caterpillar! :lol:

I've got my JC appointment out of the way. Told staff at the entrance that I would going upstairs to see my coach instead of expecting her to come down. I can manage that now since all this walking. Time started getting on so I asked another member of staff if there was a problem with my appointment. No, no problem. She was waiting for me downstairs! Anyway, I hopped off the bus up the road here and totally forgot to look at lamps, caterpillar or other! :rolleyes: The walk home in scorching heat almost killed me until I turned into my road straight into a huge gust of wind. Lovely! No decorating for me this afternoon. Feet up, World Cup time. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Rats ... I've done some googling and that quilt sounds wonderful ... deeply envious. Also the chair and the mirror :mrgreen:

Middle neck of lamb and a sliced onion are chuntering in a little white stock in the oven ... I'll be adding some baby potatoes and baby carrots in a little while, and then some baby courgettes (cos they need using before we go away tomorrow) and just before serving I'll add some creme fraiche and a huge handful of parsley. I've also washed and chopped a huge Cos lettuce and sliced spring onions and they'll be braised with some peas ... :hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 15th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Afternoon all!

It sounds as though you picked up some lovely things Rats and I'm sure you will enjoy them. It is always so sad to see things that meant something to people being sold off, but nice if those who have them enjoy them.

I hadn't heard any news today so had to look up what's happening. It seems the right verdict for Cilliers. I was also interested to read that one male MP blocked the bill to make 'upskirting' (photographing up women's skirts without their knowledge) against the law. In the present climate regarding that kind of thing that was a brave move but I'm not sure a wise one. They don't say what his objection was.

Tine to get ready for another night at work. It looks nice outside, I will splosh some water on some of the plants before leaving.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 15th, 2018, 3:52 pm

earthmaiden wrote:They don't say what his objection was.

ostensibly his objection is to any bill that is waved through without a debate on Friday afternoons, he and members of his group think it makes for flabby laws that don't really work, and may indeed cause quite a lot of problems
They probably have a point in general

But in this case the new criminal offence is so specific it seems unlikely to cause problems, especially as the government supports the bill

The opinion of twitter is that he is mainly seeking to make himself appear interesting :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 15th, 2018, 6:47 pm

That's why I always wear trousers ;)

Just paused for a breather from a fabulous game of football - :P even though I am not Ronaldo's greatest fan. Must calm down a bit.

See you all tomorrow!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Haven't watched a football match on tv for ages and ages ... and then I watch Spain v Portugal :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: Ronaldo ... what a fabulous footballer.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 15th, 2018, 8:37 pm

That was a match worth watching. That third goal! :kneel: I totally forgot there was a programme on 5 about the building of our canals that I wanted to watch. Ah, the beauty of +1 because this is just as good as the football was.

I don't think Snoozeville is far away, so night night folks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Is Zosh away? it's been very quiet from her direction for the last few days :?

I'm under the duvet now ... sweet dreams all ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 16th, 2018, 6:04 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bit gloomy here but I expect the sun will be through soon. A Hoopoe is poo pooing in the background, a lovely sound :)

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 16th, 2018, 6:39 am

suffolk wrote: Ronaldo ... what a fabulous footballer.

Yes - he's inarguably very talented - I'm sure he'd confirm that; but my personal taste is for the quiet geniuses. I would give you an hour of watching Ronaldo, for twenty minutes of Iniesta - complete mastery, and peerless passing.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » June 16th, 2018, 7:00 am

Good morning all :hug:

I finally had my hysterectomy on Wednesday and will hopefully be allowed home today :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 16th, 2018, 7:11 am

Good morning wild ones. Good news Cheezy :tu: I hope you are feeling ok, take care and don't be in a rush to go home. Having said that, if you are feeling ok, then home I think is the best place to be.
We have rain at last :bounce: :bounce: , the air is cool and a much needed pleasant night of sleep was had last night. I hope we have enough rain to fill the water butts :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 16th, 2018, 8:29 am

Morning all!

CJ - what ice said :hug:

We had a very cool night here so sleeping was much easier and there was no mad rush to open all the windows for oxygen when I got up. Breakfast has been had and now it's library time, see what goodies they have. I must keep in mind that I can only borrow what I can carry home! Wish I had my mum's shopping trolley....

Hope Zosh is ok!

Oh, and for excellent footballing - Andrei Kancheskis. :kneel: :kneel: Like a little whippet!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rsv-8-I-7ko
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 16th, 2018, 8:45 am

Good morning all :mug: :mug:

I woke early and was listening to the sad news from Glasgow when I saw a heron alight on the house roof opposite. He was there for about ten minutes, turning his head this way and that eyeing up the spot where their little pond is ... they didn't replace the fish after his last visit which must be some five years ago ... but he obviously keeps an eye on the place ... just in case.
After that he moved over the brow of the hill in the direction of the marshes ... beautiful bird. :luv:

Well, I've been out there and picked rhubarb to take to MIL and watered all the pots and containers and the tomatoes (which are planted out into the garden this year) and fed the courgettes and mange touts ... there'll be more courgettes to pick when we get back and the first of the mange touts are appearing so they'll be on the menu next week with any luck :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 16th, 2018, 9:00 am

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:I finally had my hysterectomy on Wednesday and will hopefully be allowed home today

Good News , now take things slowly.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 16th, 2018, 9:02 am

CJ :hug: do as Moira tells you!!!

Hope you're home and resting comfortably very soon :) :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 16th, 2018, 9:08 am

Good morning
Cheezy Jazzy :hi5: :hi5: good to hear it has finally happened, hope they let you out today and it makes you feel better in the long run. Take it easy

Sunny here so far but clouds are drifting by and we are threatened with rain around lunch time. Laundry beckons I think.
There's a Bloomsday event at a local bar, the event is run by a friend so might pop in

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 16th, 2018, 9:12 am

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:Good morning all :hug:

I finally had my hysterectomy on Wednesday and will hopefully be allowed home today :D

Take it very easy then … and accept all the help you can get. :hug: :hug: :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 16th, 2018, 9:15 am

Morning everyone :wave:

CJ I hope you are well enough to go home but please take all your Auntie's advice and gan canny as the geordies say. :hug:

Marketing done on a beautiful morning and everything done so I can watch France-Australia at lunch time. Can't see it being as exciting as last night's spectacular.

I was wondering about Zosh yesterday at the house sale.

Good luck with the shed Suffs
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » June 16th, 2018, 9:20 am

I intend to take things easy. I have plenty of reading to do, my cross stitch and unicorn plus card making. I will supervise hubby getting out my card projects as I think they will be quite accessible to him. I have plenty of DVDs to watch and some films on hard drive plus various programmes I have recorded that I have yet to catch up with.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop