[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Marmite (soda) breadsticks

Marmite (soda) breadsticks

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Postby Breadandwine » December 31st, 2009, 9:14 pm

I thought I’d test out the search function on your board, Rio, so I entered the word ‘Bread’ and was quite shocked to find it yielded no results!

To prevent anyone else suffering the same trauma, I thought I’d post a reasonably unique, very simple bread that I haven’t seen anywhere else. It’s a very quick recipe – plenty of time to make it in time for this evening’s nibbles.

200g s/raising flour
125ml warm water mixed with 1 dessertspoon Marmite (or more to taste)

Put the oven on to 220C and prepare a baking sheet.

Mix the liquid in with the flour, working quickly, until it forms a ball of dough.

Turn it out onto the table and knead for about 30 seconds – just to mix it into a smooth dough.

Using plenty of flour, roll the dough out quite thinly into a large rectangle.

Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into strips about 1 cm wide and place them on the baking sheet.

Bake for about 12-15 minutes until the breadsticks are crisp.

If you're not going to need these for a day or two, dry them out by leaving them in the oven whilst it cools.

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Re: Marmite (soda) breadsticks

Postby sueturnersmith » December 31st, 2009, 10:44 pm

These sound really nice Paul - are they a bit like the shop bought twiglets?
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Breadandwine » December 31st, 2009, 10:59 pm

Hi Sue

Not really - they don't taste like Marmite as such, they've got a more cheesy flavour.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » December 31st, 2009, 11:05 pm

They still sound good Paul. A cheesy flavour surprises me, bearing in mind there is no cheese and quite a lot of marmite, but they are obviously very savoury. I will give them a try :)
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby AlisonWright » January 1st, 2010, 12:40 am

Paul, I really, really want to like Marmite - but I just can't :(

Is there any reason why this recipe couldn't work by subbing pesto sauce for the evil stuff :lol: Basil, garlic & parmesan would make me very happy :D
AlisonWright
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 1st, 2010, 12:42 am

I with you there Alison, I hate Marmite. Now Bovril on the other hand. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Catherine
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » January 1st, 2010, 1:03 am

Hi Alison

The beauty of breadmaking is that bread is so flexible and forgiving. You want to try it with pesto/parmesan? I've never tried it, but I can tell you now, it'll work!

And why not Bovril, Catherine? Give it a go!

I often make bread with curry paste - I used to make it with curry paste and Cheddar cheese, but now I'm vegan I don't.

Having typed that, I've just thought I should try it with vegan cheese - and I will, soon!

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby marcecath » March 31st, 2010, 9:03 pm

Hi Paul!!
I love Marmite and also parmeson so will try these the weekend as I know I will need a few nibbles to go with the wine!
Thankyou

Marce
marcecath
Registered

Postby kari47 » March 31st, 2010, 9:09 pm

ooh marmite and parmesan! yum yum yum! :D karen
kari47
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 26th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Reading the current Marmite thread, I thought it was time to give this thread a bit of a bump - many newcomers won't have seen it, perhaps!

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 27th, 2010, 1:27 am

When I have "pangs" of hunger - I eat slices of baguette with marmite and peanut butter.
Now breadsticks with those two, and a spot of hot sauce.......YES! We're talking!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 27th, 2010, 7:50 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » August 27th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Crunchy, mostly!
Sometimes, I sprinkle the whole lot with salt. Other times a splash of my special hot sauce . And sometimes, just on its own!

(Blimey, when I read that back, I sound like Pooh Bear :terrified: :terrified: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 27th, 2010, 9:38 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » August 27th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » August 27th, 2010, 9:45 pm

My lips are sealed, Luca, I would never betray a confidence or reveal a weakness.
--
All the best
Ian

ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby sueturnersmith » August 27th, 2010, 9:49 pm

I've never heard of a peanut butter/marmite combination, but I like both, so it could be interesting ;)

My son loves the classic peanut butter/jam combination, but I never really fancied that one!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » August 27th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Hi Sue,

Having said that you have to try it........

When I first came across such a suggestion on another board it was suggested that I do so and I did.. at once...... luckily I had some mouthwash available... :D Poor old Marmite. I've kept it mostly pure since. ;)
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby sueturnersmith » August 27th, 2010, 11:06 pm

Thanks for the warning Luca!

As I said, I like peanut butter and marmite on their own. I also like jam on it's own, but have not tried it with PB, and wouldn't want to.

So I'll give the experiment a miss, I think :lol:
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » August 27th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Chicken.... ;) You never know - you might love it.. probably not advisable to try just now though. Wait until morning. :D
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby sueturnersmith » August 27th, 2010, 11:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a shame, I think DS has finished all the peanut butter :lol: :lol: :lol:

The experiment will have to wait :D
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Return to The Bakers Oven