Marrow recipes help

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Marrow recipes help

Postby hickybank » September 8th, 2013, 8:36 am

I have been given a Marrow but need to use it quickly as we are going on holiday in a couple of days time
I have done stuffed marrow in the past & could do it again but wondered if there is another tasty recipe out there I could try.

I found this one on the web, it looks o/k but has anyone tried it & if so was it any good

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/stuffed_marrow_43279
I have most store room ingredients in stock so dont want to have to buy extras ingredients if I can help it.
Any suggestions would be gratfully received.

Thanks
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Re: Marrow recipes help

Postby suffolk » September 8th, 2013, 9:15 am

I found this a while back and bookmarked it for the next occasion that I have a surfeit of marrows http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... nk.recipes :D
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Capt_Lightning » September 8th, 2013, 5:01 pm

We're coming down with marrows, courgettes etc.. this year! The store coupboard is full of marrow chutney and marrow & ginger jam - and we've still got more marrows coming in the polytunnel.
I've made stuffed marrow a few times, but more often we make a spiced marrow dish which I'd have to look out the recipe for, but it is along the lines of a ratatouille.
Shine on you Crazy Diamond.
Capt_Lightning
Registered

Postby hickybank » September 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Thanks suffs, I see on there he roasted some so0 today I dusted some with Tandoori powder & roasted with the spuds, it was very good, the tandoori powder works well on the spuds as well

Cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby hickybank » September 9th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Well I made the recipe I posted at the top of the page today, I have to say it is by far the best recipe for marrow I have ever tried, simply delicious

Here it is again
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/stuffed_marrow_43279

I had no Pecorino but did use a little more Parmesan

Also rather than joining together I left it in two halves sprinkled the Parmesan on top & served it like that without cutting into slices, served with a few Jersey Royals it made a great meal

Terry
Last edited by hickybank on September 9th, 2013, 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hickybank
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 10th, 2013, 7:49 am

I love stuffed courgettes, but often use an Indian stuffing, topped with parmesan cheese, a kind of mix and match :roll:
I was given a large marrow by a mum at the children's hospice I volunteer at. I was thinking of make besan chilla or koftas to take back for them, with some green apple chutney, but am now thinking on the line of cup cakes, made to carrot cake recipe. Has anyone made a marrow cake? There are just too many on the web, that is why I was thinking of adapting my carrot cake one. Any suggestions?
Mamta
Registered

Postby hickybank » September 10th, 2013, 8:42 am

As you say there are a lot out there, as marrow has little taste I think I would add some Raisins for taste.

River Cottage has a recipe for a Spicy Marrow cake that looks very interesting as well, here is a link to it if you have not seen it
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/spicy-marrow-cake/

Cheers
Terry
Last edited by hickybank on September 10th, 2013, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hickybank
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 10th, 2013, 11:18 am

Thanks Terry , will take a look in a minute :tu:
PS: Just had a look, it is savoury, I want to make a sweet, normal cake, that kids may eat a bit of. Also, I am not sure how adventurous parents will be, to try a savoury cake.
Last edited by Mamta on September 10th, 2013, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 12th, 2013, 4:04 pm

I made the marrow cake and a few muffins eventually, following the recipe for carrot cake. They are both quite nice, moist. I guess, it will be even better with courgettes. The pictures are here, if you can open facebook; https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 823&type=1
Mamta
Registered

Postby tezza » September 12th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Hairy Bikers did a lovely looking stuffed marrow on Best Of British repeated last night. It was funnily enough the vegetarian episode, although the marrow was stuffed with a kind of Bolognese sauce with cheese, they were trying to get across the point that the vegetable element of a meal doesn't have to be the centre point of the meal without meat. Anyway, as a non meat eater it looked lovely even to me. Sorry can't find the link to the recipe. :oops:
Free Tilikum and all cetaceans in captivity
Watch Blackfish
tezza
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » September 12th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Catherine
Registered

Return to The Kitchen