good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » August 18th, 2017, 8:55 am

Good morning
The sun is fading fast, we are threatened with a wet afternoon
Better get out in it soon
Played backgammon last night, lost one then won two so won the magnificent sum of £10 (£5 stake) but had the kudos of completely thrashing an international standard player on the way
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 18th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Yes, we had a bit of sun first thing, it has now degenerated into another bout of brilliant sun and torrential downpours every 10 mins, we are now having thunder in with it. I suppose it is the tail end of the hurricane.... Gerta wasn't it ?

Well done that girl on the backgammon front :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » August 19th, 2017, 9:42 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
yesterday's prediction of showers didn't really happen other than a handful of spots that evaporated pdq in the early afternoon.
we are eating a lot of beans and pea beans at the moment - and freezing them. we also have some drying for further plantings. the pea beans are rather good - they can be eaten like mange-tout (except for a bit of string) when young or when left produce a, proportionaly, large (and pretty) seed to dry for later.
i am drying some already that escaped earlier picking.
we also have a bowl full of currant tomatoes that are being eaten like sweets.
nothing planned other than maybe a bit of shopping. - we don't need beans - or tomatoes - or courgettes.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2017, 10:48 am

Good morning all :D

One load on line, another nearly ready to go out, a load of cleaning materials and stuff not supplied by the farm shop purchased from W'rose and strong smelly drain curing stuff has been poured down bathroom drain as other tamer household remedies have not got rid of the whiffs :sprout:

I shall now make a batch of shortcrust pastry which will rest in the fridge until to
morrow when I will bake a sausage and egg pie and an apple cake to take with us to supervise DS's house move.

I may also mow the lawn (or rather, cut the grass) ;)

Have a lovely day. :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 21st, 2017, 9:29 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a touch of cloud.
two loads of washing on the line, another in the machine - i will be glad when our young have their kitchen finished and their white goods plumbed in - and get a washing line.
i spent about four hours yesterday opening up and tidying the tomatoes in the poly tunnel. i'm feeling it today. some of the plants produce the most wonderfully tasty, cherry tomatoes. they're a heritage variety and i'll be saving the seed.
as my partner has taken the car and gone to play plasterers mate again i have nothing on the cards other than processing two baskets of beans and one of tomatoes for the freezer and dinner. i think my partner will be glad when all the young's work is done, too.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 21st, 2017, 9:41 am

Good morning
Grey, grizzly, and surprisingly cold here
Must be the summer holidays or summat
Must gird my loins and see if my PC can be persuaded to wander t'internet, but I fear this means an hour on the phone to Microsoft Customer Disservice
Wish me luck chaps, I'm going in
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 22nd, 2017, 8:38 am

good morning, al.
sunny with a veil of cloud every-so-often but a little more breeze than yesterday.
i think my smoking dust may be a little damp. i couldn't get it to keep smouldering yesterday. i've set it going again but might have to result to 'measures' in order to rectify the problem.
tonight, we're at the minack to see 'twelfth night'. we have decided to take pastys (not home made) this week as we are getting a bit bored with the veg offering at the food hut in the car park. they advertise a sample menu in the email i get for the show we'll be seeing in any week which describes a different veg option each week - but so far we seem to have had the same thing every time. it's very nice, don't get me wrong, but we're fancying a pasty for a change.
the weather is set to be fair for the day so -
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 22nd, 2017, 2:51 pm

Good "well into the afternoon almost evening" everyone :D
Life's been a bit discombobulated over the past few days, due to DS's complex house move ... but we've done the worst of it now 8-)
I've been left feeling a bit emotional about it all, so no wonder he's found it difficult to deal with ... but he's keeping busy and his life looks to be on the up :D
Hope everyone else is having a good day :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 22nd, 2017, 3:05 pm

suffolk wrote:Good "well into the afternoon almost evening" everyone

Ditto
Having a duvet day, surprised how tired I am, must go and potter and wash hair etc.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 22nd, 2017, 3:08 pm

I'm having 'an afternoon on the sofa' Sue... you're welcome to join me when you've washed your hair :D :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 23rd, 2017, 10:29 am

good morning, all.
overcast but predicted with a bit of sun - and still dry.
the production of 'twelfth night' at the minack, last night, was good. the only props used were a table and two chairs - and a recording of the sea. ok i suppose it was necessary as you couldn't hear waves crashing for the shipwreck scene for real last night.
the hut offering was the same curry so we decided against it and shared a veg pasty and a sandwich from the kiosk in the theatre, hmmm, i will buy some better pastys for the freezer for future trips.
we have an ominous slow drip/tapping sound where there are no pipes and it hasn't rained for a while. my partner has turned the water off and it's still there - i may have to stick my head into the loft - of course the house may be falling down!
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 23rd, 2017, 10:43 am

Good morning
Overcast here, no rain expected so will get out at some point.
Hope the house is not falling down scully, now I don't a cat I have discovered that many of the little noises I had ascribed to little paws are actually made by the building creaking and groaning, well I'll be creaky when I'm 160!

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 24th, 2017, 9:08 am

good morning, all.
weather - as the last few days.
a bit of washing to do, some clearing up and hswk (spit) and a stint at the community garden.
my partner has just got back from the dump - via a milk shop - coffee should be on the cards.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 24th, 2017, 9:26 am

Good morning
A bit meh from having my sleep curtailed by the roadworks
Will do a bit of tidying up, a bit of filing, a bit of ironing, then walk through the wild life reserve to backgammon is the plan
Hope I manage to stick to it
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 25th, 2017, 7:14 am

Good morning. A nice sunny one with a good forecast. I am wearing a strappy summer dress to work (damn it!), although in spite of the forecast it feels very autumnal. I feel like we have missed out on a chunk of summer. I haven't worn everything yet!

I hope everyone has a lovely day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 25th, 2017, 7:48 am

Even when a house move is going well it just takes one useless solicitor to bu$$er it up :x Life is complex at the moment.
Wishing you all an easy day :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 25th, 2017, 9:18 am

Good morning
Nice here at the moment but I know what you men about not having worn everything yet, I was thinking much the same as I put my laundry away yesterday, I repaired two maxi skirts, maybe I'll wear one of them.
Need to go to the butcher and the recycling
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 25th, 2017, 9:53 am

good morning, all.
a bit more overcast, today. it would be nice if it rained for a while then i wouldn't have to go and do some watering - which is becoming a bit of a need, now.
i have a few kilos of tomatoes (and more beans) to deal with. i found a massive aubergine last night which, unfortunately, had also been found by other creatures - they haven't left a great deal of it for us but what's left will go into the mix with the other, smaller, ones. stuffed aubergines for dinner.
personally, i think we've had a long and rather good summer.
the sun has come out again.
the coffeelepathy needs a bit of working on, it seems to have got a bit rusty.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 25th, 2017, 11:01 am

scullion wrote:personally, i think we've had a long and rather good summer

I feel the same Scully ... although in my case a large part of it was spent with my foot up ... the garden certainly responded well to the warm spring and things got going early and have cropped all the better for it :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 25th, 2017, 11:43 am

The thing about the weather and clothes is that we had the very hot spell (beach wear as far as possible) since when it has been cooler and wetter (jeans weather for me) but the usual city summer clothes haven't realky had an outing, it's either been too hot or too wet and windy
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 25th, 2017, 2:29 pm

I guess I missed a lot of it being in an office where I have to crane may neck to see the sky. It often seems to have been not so nice at the weekends though. There were certainly quite a lot of successive weekends in South London, at least, when photography (my number two hobby) was not really worth bothering with because of the rubbish (lack of) light.
I did have two different weeks in Normandy with almost unprecedentedly good weather, I admit.
I suppose it's hard to say really just how good it's been, and perhaps the general tone of my year has (metaphorically) clouded my memory. But I am sorry summer seems to be nearly over, at any rate. If I could pop off somewhere for some more really hot sunshine, I'd be off like a shot.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby cooksalot » August 26th, 2017, 8:42 am

Morning all! Looks like its going to be a lovely day in London. Good for the Carnival, although I won't be going - bit too hectic for me! There is a dance festival happening at Clapham Common, and more stuff tomorrow, including a performance by Madness, apparently.
So I think it'll be sitting in the garden mostly this BH weekend, with as little travel as possible! And maybe a :cocktail: or two! ;)
cooksalot
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 26th, 2017, 9:07 am

Good morning ... I have been awake since 5 am :( - so annoying when you have nothing to get up early for :evil: ... It is lovely and sunny here and I am soon going out to meet daughter to do some foraging on her local Nature Reserve while she is doing something called a butterfly transect (monitoring and counting them at designated points round the NR ). .. later on I will be re-heating a chicken and mushroom pie I made last week, with mash and veg, for supper, then out to listen to live music at a pub in the village.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 26th, 2017, 11:45 am

Good lunch o'clock
I fell asleep on the sofa well before bedtime, then of course overslept having relocated in the very early morning. Must go to butcher's soon

Avoiding the carnivals etc, but tempted by the Enfield food festival at Forty Hall Sunday and Monday, may or may not bother, not sure if relevant transport is running full force, must check
Nice day here anyway, enjoy!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 26th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Good after lunch all :D

Kitchen drain has been unblocked, washing hung on the line, food shopping done and put away, condolence cards purchased for SS and SiL's family's sad loss, prep for Ping Coombes' Cantonese Roast Pork done for our lunch tomorrow :hungry: and lunch eaten ... just the kitchen floor to wash now ...

Hope everyone's having a lovely day :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 26th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Lovely clear bright and sunny day here, grass is being cut as I type, various stuffed veg have been prepped for another days meal/s just have to flavour some other minced beef for the tortillas tonight together with a sort of rat-the-tutt. The Cathcart hotel have been dug over and left in a style that the cats will indulge... They are finding it a tad warm today and have sourced cooler leafier places. I have inbibed of a fizzy apple beer !!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » August 27th, 2017, 8:42 am

good morning, all.
sunny. yesterday was sunny with 26°c.
we joined both sets of young for brunch at the beach bar earlyish (to get a table) yesterday.
we found spaces in the rapidly filling car park to discover that the meter was out of order. you may think this was a good thing however i'm pretty sure it wasn't. if no-one came out to fix it over the weekend it would mean a massive amount of revenue which will not be put into the council's pot (and therefore an offset to some of the community charge). the beach and carpark were rammed by the time we left, with people prepared to wait a few minutes while we loaded ourselves into cars to head off home.
this morning, i'm going up to the community garden to water - i have the feeling no-one would have been to do it for a couple of days - and tidy up the currant tomatoes.
later, i'm cooking a selection of curries for dinner with the local young.
better finish my coffee and get a move on.
have another glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 27th, 2017, 9:00 am

Good morning ... looks like it's going to be a nice day here ... the man will be arriving about 12.30 so I will set him working in the garden doing a tidy up while I fix lunch/dinner .. it's leg of lamb today and I'm going to try doing it in the Instant Pot on a bed of onion and rosemary; studded with garlic and rosemary too.. Then we will have a relaxing afternoon (finishing off the bottle of wine he will be bringing with him) and doing the codeword, Sudoku and other puzzles in yesterday's paper ;) Oh and playing FB scrabble .. :)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 27th, 2017, 9:46 am

A glorious morning here ... OH is now 'on holiday' and doesn't go back to work until after we get back from Cornwall ... he's been given a list of 'things to keep him occupied' ;)
Have a lovely day folks 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 27th, 2017, 10:13 am

Good morning
Lovely here too, I've been pottering around the kitchen but must get out now
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 27th, 2017, 11:49 am

Absolutely stunning weather here today. Cats have disappeared - to keep cool somewhere.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » August 28th, 2017, 9:28 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
i was right about the watering. the poly tunnel was sweltering as i was doing the toms and it occurred to me that taking my clothes off would be a good idea - except that if i did someone was bound to turn up. i now have a load more veg to find space in the freezer for.
as my partner is slashing stuff down in the garden i may have to make my own coffee - and a drink for him - and find him a hat.
have a gorgeous day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 28th, 2017, 10:14 am

Good morning
Definitely hat weather here
Just waiting for a couple of things to thaw before doing a bit of prep for a meze to serve tomorrow
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 28th, 2017, 10:28 am

Hot hot hot! I like to think I brought this about by saying that I was regretting that summer was over :) Mind you Wednesday onwards doesn't look great. I shall enjoy today as much as I can.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 28th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Good 'after lunch' :D

Glorious day here too - last lot of pre-holiday washing drying on the line, lists made, gin decanted, route planned, bookings checked etc etc etc.

OH has sorted fridges and cleaned the kitchen windows etc. :D

Camera batteries are on charge and torch batteries have been checked/changed.

We'll soon be ready ... just three more sleeps :bounce:

Continue to have a lovely day folks 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 28th, 2017, 6:52 pm

suffolk wrote:gin decanted

hip flasks at the ready, huh‽ (i keep cointreau in mine).
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 29th, 2017, 7:00 am

Where are you off to Suffs?

Brightish but cloudy here right now. I am putting my faith in the forecasts in my dress today - it's hard to believe it's going to get to a hot and sunny 26.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 29th, 2017, 8:41 am

Morning
Bright and cloudy here too, the forecast tells me I am currently experiencing light rain but there's only a 7% chance of rain this morning
Rain tomorrow which is annoying as I'm staying over with a friend and will have to pack a mac
I'm taking dinner so need to get on with preparations as have a little shopping to do
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 29th, 2017, 8:52 am

good morning, all.
overcast and so a bit cooler.
the minack tonight is 'the country wife'. food will be a tiffin box of leftover curries from sunday (from the freezer) rather than going for the hut offering or a repeat of the rather poor pasty.
we have just been subjected to the longest three quarters of an hour's worth of radio i can remember - 'conversations on a bench'. the sort of conversations that would make you move to another park bench because they were intruding on your book in the most annoying fashion. this was interspersed with the readings of a poet - by himself - never a good thing if you aren't pam ayres. think simon armitage but even worse. i need to regain my will to live.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 29th, 2017, 9:15 am

scullion wrote:we have just been subjected to the longest three quarters of an hour's worth of radio i can remember - 'conversations on a bench'. the sort of conversations that would make you move to another park bench because they were intruding on your book in the most annoying fashion. this was interspersed with the readings of a poet - by himself - never a good thing if you aren't pam ayres.

I caught some of this Scully ... and entirely agree with you .. but then listened to Robert Webb reading today's episode of his autobiography.. and enjoyed that. ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 29th, 2017, 11:12 am

You need to use the independent radio monitoring authority OFFSWITCH (very old Jeremy Hardy joke :D )
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 29th, 2017, 11:17 am

I just have Radio4 on in the background while I am getting ready to drive to the shop .. so missed parts of it anyway...
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 29th, 2017, 11:21 am

I can't do that, if it's speech radio I have to listen to it, I can manage some music ans at the moment I have Robert Elms on, sort of a magazine programme, some speech some music
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 29th, 2017, 11:37 am

Herbidacious wrote:Where are you off to Suffs?

Staying with friends near Dartmoor then on down to Cornwall ... will meet up with Scully :tu:

Dining table now becoming laden with 'things we must remember to take'.

OH is cycling into the city as he's decided he needs more tee shirts. I've done the 'last trip to supermarket' thing. We don't take much food with us as we prefer to "shop local" and help the economy where we're staying, but I've got some stuff for the journey etc.

Just plant watering, a quick sweep of the floor, a note for the neighbours telling them to help themselves to raspberries, courgettes and and runner beans etc, and them there's the clothes packing to do ................ and we'll be ready to leave first light Thursday :bounce:

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 30th, 2017, 10:11 am

good morning, all.
it has rained - hooray! the prophesy for the rest of the day is sunny, rainy, sunny, rainy.
the menace's (that was the minack's) country wife wasn't last night - it's next week. guess who felt silly. we ate our food in the picnic area before coming home via the supermarket.
lunch is tomato soup then a doc's apt later and some hswk that desperately needs to be done before the young are down on saturday evening, are on the cards for today.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » August 30th, 2017, 10:34 am

the forecast now says patchy overcast with sunny periods - that was a quick change of mind!
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » August 31st, 2017, 10:35 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a few fluffies.
hswk is in desperate need of doing now - i can't really put it off much longer - but maybe until coffee is finished.
there's nothing else i can distract myself with that wouldn't cause the guilt to kick in.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » September 1st, 2017, 9:36 am

good morning, all.
sunny with the prediction of sunny all day.
managed to avoid the hswk yesterday other than washing the hob (well, bits went in the dishwasher). i got a text to ask if i was free for the pub quiz. i'd forgotten it was the last thursday of the month. we got a terrible score - however it was still good enough to win. it was a bit of a random quiz - some rather specialist cricket facts were not in our repertoire - or many others by the scores but at least i remembered what ocr stood for.
i have been asked if i want a coffee but i think he's got distracted.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » September 2nd, 2017, 8:52 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment but due to cloud over later.
busy day, today, a bit more hswk, followed by lunch with suffolk et al (we all know he's not called al), followed by a chat with a builder friend and then the arrival of the upcountry young late in the evening.
the up country young are down for the gorsedh kernow esedhvos festival where a relative is being made a bard, today.
my coffee is in hand and i'd better get my bum in gear or we'll have to rush off for lunch at godrevy while i'm still in my 'jamas - and what will be thought of me then‽
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 2nd, 2017, 9:02 am

Good morning
Sunny here too
Stuff to do but nothing special, need to walk as well, haven't done much for the last few days
Need to decide what food I want to buy before I go shopping
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop