Avocados

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Avocados

Postby Meganthemog » January 7th, 2016, 6:51 pm

I have bought 5 ripe avacados today for 50p - well it was 10 for £1 but my friend and I shared the bargain. Now I plan on making guacamole tonight but I'm going to need to eat the others up pretty swiftish. Any ideas on what to do with them - especially if you have a way of me making something to freeze.
Meganthemog
Registered

Re: Avocados

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2016, 6:56 pm

I've never done it, but this gives the instructions for freezing avocado puree http://www.wikihow.com/Freeze-Avocados

If you do it I'd be glad to know how it turns out, as OH sometimes has the option of freebie avocados from work.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 7th, 2016, 7:00 pm

I've just been researching on line and it seems you can freeze them whole and then just use them as normal. I will eat one tonight and puree 3 with lemon juice and freeze one whole. I will report back :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 7th, 2016, 7:05 pm

Avocado on toast seems to be the latest Instagram craze. I never thought I liked avocado but recently I had for breakfast avocado baked with an egg in each hollow and grilled bacon on the side. It was really filling and kept me going till lunchtime easily . I know warm avocado is a divisive thing.
Avocados also nice in a smoothie as it gives the drink some creaminess and thickness .
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 7th, 2016, 7:40 pm

I do a lovely salad with avacado, blue cheese and crispy pancetta with a French style dressing on mixed leaves. i could happily eat 3 or 4 avacados in one sitting.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2016, 7:57 pm

I had a lovely recipe for Avocado Chocolate Pudding where Avocado was used in place of cream for a sweet dessert, I only wish I could find it at this moment! There are a few on line. It is surprisingly good.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 7th, 2016, 9:39 pm

Avocado ice cream
Catherine
Registered

Postby badgerbum » January 7th, 2016, 10:41 pm

A new discovery for me is frozen avocados - tesco do them and they are great - no more ripening or chucking away over ripen ones just defrost as needed
badgerbum
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 7th, 2016, 11:09 pm

badgerbum wrote:A new discovery for me is frozen avocados - tesco do them and they are great - no more ripening or chucking away over ripen ones just defrost as needed

What is the texture like when you defrost the avocados? I imagine rather mushy ;)

We eat lots of avocados in salad and can usually get them at a reasonable price at our local Farmers Market. I love them, but never thought of freezing them!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 8th, 2016, 12:59 am

I've got one or two recipes for avocados, that use fairly large amounts - mainly Mexican.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby badgerbum » January 8th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Rainbow wrote:
badgerbum wrote:A new discovery for me is frozen avocados - tesco do them and they are great - no more ripening or chucking away over ripen ones just defrost as needed

What is the texture like when you defrost the avocados? I imagine rather mushy ;)

We eat lots of avocados in salad and can usually get them at a reasonable price at our local Farmers Market. I love them, but never thought of freezing them!

It's the same as a fresh avocado , no discernible difference and definitely no different when mushed into a guacamole

They are peeled and portioned which is another advantage - I just take a couple of bits with my lunch to work and they're defrosted by lunch time
badgerbum
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 8th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:Avocado on toast seems to be the latest Instagram craze

I read (here, probably) that Nigella did it. I hate the texture of avocados and bread, bananas and bread are the same.

Meganthemog wrote:it seems you can freeze them whole and then just use them as normal

That is a useful tip.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 9th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Pasta ( fettucine) with smoked salmon, a touch of cream... and some chopped avocado just before serving. Delicious.
A typical (and very tasty) salad here in Caracas is sliced avocado, sliced palm hearts (tinned!), a tiny bit of red onion and watercress, drizzled with EVOO and white wine vinegar.
You could make a Guasacaca - it`s an avocado-based sauce/condiment with onions, sweet chiles, red peppers, coriander, vinegar, oil, s&p.It lasts about 4-5 weeks in the fridge; great for grilled meat, chicken, even fish.
My favourite, however, is simply cut the avocado in half, salt, pepper, oil, vinegar, eat with a spoon!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 9th, 2016, 10:33 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:My favourite, however, is simply cut the avocado in half, salt, pepper, oil, vinegar, eat with a spoon!
If you dispense with the oil and vinegar, then you have my favourite way!
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » January 10th, 2016, 8:06 am

I like my avocadoes just with a little salt and pepper too. They literally "do grow trees" here, I have been given carrier bags of the things, luckily they were still hard and ripened at different rates.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Kavey » January 10th, 2016, 8:12 am

Here's a recipe for avocado ice cream I made a few years ago:
http://www.kaveyeats.com/2012/06/avocado-ice-cream.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby Monnikka » January 10th, 2016, 8:36 am

I bought a pkt of frozen avos from Tesco a couple of weeks ago but haven't used them yet. I'll take some halves out for later on. Thanks for reminding me they're there!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 10th, 2016, 8:54 am

The information about the frozen avocados is good to know, BB - we'd noticed them and were wondering whether or not to try them. We'll definitely give them a go now! :tu:

I expect fruit quickly frozen with industrial methods would be a lot different to fruit frozen at home - this is probably one of those 'don't try this at home' instances!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » January 10th, 2016, 9:28 am

I'm another fan of avocado (only if perfectly ripe) with just salt and a little very finely ground black pepper or some white pepper).

I saw these advertised yesterday. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/19461/2-Avocado-Food-Huggers. Anybody tried them?

As I am aiming to have avocado in all of my daily Nutribullet smoothies from now on I may get some frozen from Tesco although I shall probably experiment freezing it myself in very fine slices laid out on a tray just to make the comparison although I tend to agree with Suelle's point above.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2016, 9:43 am

cyprusmoira wrote:I like my avocadoes just with a little salt and pepper too. They literally "do grow trees" here, I have been given carrier bags of the things, luckily they were still hard and ripened at different rates.

Moira

Salt and lime juice for me

I must investigate freezing avos, I only eat half at a time and the second half keeps fairly well overnight if doused in lemon or lime juice and wrapped in cling film
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 11th, 2016, 7:27 am

I do the same Sue :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 17th, 2016, 8:24 am

Suelle wrote:The information about the frozen avocados is good to know, BB - we'd noticed them and were wondering whether or not to try them.

Daughter acted as the advance guard in trying frozen avocados and declared them to be terrible, so we're now torn by two opposing views. She thought they might be OK as guacamole, but were awful just eaten as slices - very rubbery.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » January 17th, 2016, 8:37 am

We also tried my pack of frozen avos and I 'm afraid they ended up in the compost bin........ Disgusting is the opinion of OH.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby scullion » January 17th, 2016, 8:42 am

i have had them as a frozen desert - mash with honey and lemon juice and freeze like ice-cream.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 17th, 2016, 9:06 am

I now have a pack of these in my freezer, but I will just sling them into my Nutribullet along with all the other stuff I make a veg smoothie with. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 17th, 2016, 8:06 pm

I'm still tempted to at least try the frozen ones from the supermarket, just so that I can say I have. My favourites are the Haas ones, I find them creamier in texture, however, they can be horribly fibrous if "not right".
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby tezza » February 9th, 2016, 6:55 am

I love them and have done for years on toast with tomato and Marmite.
(waves at Nigella hehe)
Love the idea of ice cream!
tezza
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop