[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Your favourite photo.s

Your favourite photo.s

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Your favourite photo.s

Postby chools » October 31st, 2010, 8:00 pm

chools

Postby uschi » October 31st, 2010, 8:27 pm

I think this may well be the favourite picture of this autumn.

uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » October 31st, 2010, 9:12 pm

uschi.
It is amazing how something so simple can look so stunning, the lighting is just perfect, did you take it ?, if so Iwould be interested on the camera use & the settings.

cheers
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » October 31st, 2010, 9:30 pm

Terry, I am a cowgirl and shoot from the hip. I've got a Lumix DMC-FZ 10, I set it on "cloudy" as it was raining and then ... just pointed and shot. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I'm number blind, so anything more advanced than that ... :?
I do have an idea of what might be a nice picture and I thought this might be one. I just zoomed in close.
uschi
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » October 31st, 2010, 9:49 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby uschi » October 31st, 2010, 9:54 pm

I love it to bits. I know there are better cameras, but it really does well. It has a few weaknesses, though, night pictures are difficult (I think its successors will have a fireworks setting) and there is a shade of pale lilac that it can't quite capture. Wild crocus and autumn crocus defy it. Other than that ... my baby.
Here's tonight's weird sky.

And no, it's not my favourite picture, but it shows the camera's weaknesses at night. Still, I got a picture to show what I saw. :D
Last edited by uschi on October 31st, 2010, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uschi
Registered

Postby chools » October 31st, 2010, 10:04 pm

Nice shootin' cowgirl, I like the colours of the leaf with the movement of the rain drops around it :)

KrC
chools

Postby uschi » October 31st, 2010, 10:11 pm

I was a bit miffed because I'd started out in good weather, but by the time I reached the area it was pouring. So I had to make do with what I got.
uschi
Registered

Postby chools » October 31st, 2010, 10:30 pm

I have to admit Uschi that I often step outside to see what the weather is like before I pick up my camera if I'm going out. Dark skies or rain and it often stays at home when I should know better and just take it!

I have taken some night time shots that have worked out OK, but I've found that I really need the tripod and the shutter release cable to get good results otherwise 'grain' creeps into the photos

KrC
chools

Postby uschi » October 31st, 2010, 10:35 pm

This was taken with a tripod, and "night portrait" mode which uses a timer. If the light is iffy I often use the inbuilt timer. Tow seconds, hold breath, hold camera steady ... 1 ... 2 ... click - hapüüüh!!! But I did that with my non-digital, too. Got some great pictures.
As for grain ... life isn't perfect, so why should my pictures be? Besides, my baby only has about four megapixels, newer cameras can do a lot better ... still, a Leica lens isn't to be sneezed at. Basically, I try to shoot under any condition. Sometimes the camera surprises me. :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby chools » November 1st, 2010, 9:20 am

Last edited by chools on November 1st, 2010, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
chools

Postby hickybank » November 1st, 2010, 10:35 am

quote="chools"]I'd like to be able to take better photos of food, but I suspect that I will need to buy some lights to get better shots[/quote]
Morning chools,
Before lashing out on expensive lighting, have you tried reflectors, forgive me if you have but if not.

You need a large sheet of pure white paper,if the light is coming from behind the subject then plce the card in front to reflect the light back onto the subject.
If the light in coming form the front then reverse the process.

The results can be quite dramatic.

The first picture I took of this flower was without a reflector & the result was very dull, the inside of the flower was very dark.
But using the reflector to bounce the light back onto the subject got a much better result. see picture, sorry I can't show the comparison, as I deleted the other picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5134959105/

If shooting inside using flash & reflectors, try diffusing the flash by putting a white handcerchief over the flash unit

cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby chools » November 1st, 2010, 10:50 am

Hi Terry,

No, I hadn't thought of reflectors. I was thinking of perhaps making a light box which I could leave set up in a spare room, and then carry food through to it, or, getting a powerful hand torch/light to bounce light off the kitchen ceiling

To be honest I'm looking for a solution with which I can quickly take a 'good' photo of a finished dish, but not with so much disruption that the meal goes cold!

I have found that in my experiments to date that as our kitchen is quite dark and flash is nearly always needed. This results in any reflections from the moisture/wet on the food reflecting and giving the appearance of the meal being very greasy :(

The software I use (Aperture) allows me to adjust exposure after I've taken the shot, so my best results to date have been shooting with very little light and then adjusting the RAW file on the computer, but this tends to leave the finished shot missing a certain vibrancy

I consider myself a snapper rather than a photographer so really just want an 'easy' inexpensive solution that still allows me to eat a warm if not hot meal :D

I appreciate that professional food photography is very much a skill/art in its own right!

All suggestions gratefully received

KrC
chools

Postby hickybank » November 1st, 2010, 11:00 am

chools

I understand where you are coming from as I do the same, but the diffused flash is well worth trying.
cheers
terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » November 1st, 2010, 11:09 am

I don't know if that is the right solution for you, but I once worked with a video filmer who used a small 20 Euro headlight with a transparent paper "diffusor" to get extra lighting. The little thing was fairly strong and I might get one for myself one day.
uschi
Registered

Postby amazing » November 1st, 2010, 11:30 am

I have a light which is about 3 ft above my unit, it does give a good light for taking foodie photos. This macaroni cheese from the other night.
Did it in a rush though and have just noticed that some bits out of focus. My camera is Fuji FinePix a500.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 1st, 2010, 3:49 pm

They say this year is a bumper year for nuts & berries, there not wrong.

This is a Firethorn bush in my garden.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5136396940/

Last winter a single Blackbird took up residence in it & stripped it clean of berries, it would chase off any other bird that came near it & was so tame we could stand next to it while it fed,As soon as the last berry dissapeared so did the Blackbird, I love nature.

cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby chools » November 1st, 2010, 4:05 pm

We've got waxwings here at the moment, and they can really strip the berries. They're very tame birds, twice I've spotted them in the garden this year but they've gone by the time I'd got my camera

KrC
chools

Postby hickybank » November 1st, 2010, 4:11 pm

hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » November 1st, 2010, 5:26 pm

I had to look the bird up, we don't get these. I had a wren on my balcony yesterday, we looked at each other and it took flight. :?
uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 2nd, 2010, 3:26 pm

I went a walk round our local nature reserve today, nothing to get excited about but there is something about a Robin that is so cute.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5139447069/

cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby chools » November 2nd, 2010, 3:51 pm

I went out but left the camera behind (must try and break that habit) so no photos so far today and it looks as though it will be dark here in about 30 minutes!

Robins are pretty good birds to take photos of as they are relatively tame, although they can make quite a racket outside the bedroom window at an unearthly hour!

KrJ
chools

Postby ianinfrance » November 2nd, 2010, 5:18 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby chools » November 5th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Happy Diwali

chools

Postby hickybank » November 5th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Hi chools, what a nice picture, it`s amazing what certain colours do to a picture. the white of the flames playing on the red background bring a real richness to to picture.

I am quite chuffed to day as I have had one of my pictures accepted on the birdguides.com website.

The bird is a Banded Dotterel that I photographed in New Zealand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5145691297/

Would just like some sun now to make the most of the Autumn leaf fall.

cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby chools » November 5th, 2010, 4:35 pm

Well done with the photo acceptance Terry. There are a couple of photographers I know who have had their work published, one covers the Classic Malts cruise each year. The other fancies himself as a 'Pro' ever since he went on a couple of courses and bought himself some very expensive kit. Sadly he has become quite precious and sneers at any lens less than £1K :terrified: (which covers all of mine!)

I'm getting a few hits everyday on my Flickr site, one photo in particular (must come up in searches for a reason) but I'm happy to remain a 'snapper'

KrC
chools

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Love your banded dotterel. At first I thought the name was a spoof. :D
It's a pretty little thing and a wonderful picture, too.

The Diwali one is good enough for a calendar.
uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 5th, 2010, 5:37 pm

hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2010, 7:43 pm

But it's not ugly at all!!!! OK, a bit ungainly, but just look at that lovely plumage!!! :D
uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 5th, 2010, 11:03 pm

As they say uschi.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If that is not ugly then surely this is.

Once again taken in New Zealand it is a Kea a member of theParrot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5149898558/

cheers
terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2010, 11:16 pm

It's not your day with me, is it? :D OK, it's not a beauty, but certainly not ugly!
I envy you, I'd love to see all of these ugly birds. This one looks cheeky and happy. Was it playing with that cigarette butt?
Our birds are more boring, but what the hey, I had a wren on my balcony and was pleased to see it.
uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2010, 11:27 pm

OK, there won't be many beholders who will not think these two pretty. What gets me about this picture is how pleased they are with themselves and the world. There's so much in the look they share - makes me wonder whether they are still friends two years on.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1646 ... gelwb2.jpg
uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 6th, 2010, 8:59 am

Morning uschi.
That looks very Spanish to me, is that right, I was at a festival a couple of years ago & the young children were made up like that, I think it was ay the burial of the Sardine festival which is held yearly.

Re my pretty/ugly birds, I think pretty ugly describes them :lol:

So I will say nothing about this contender, it is a Myna bird, the picture was taken in Singapore, enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5150224763/

cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » November 6th, 2010, 9:24 am

OK, you win, that is ugly!! :D We've got cormorants near the river in town ... must try and get a picture of them, they aren't exactly beautiful, either, but ever so funny.

As for the little girls, I took that picture at a street party in town a few years ago. It was absolutely packed, noisy and lively there, but these two had found a little corner to share that intimate moment. I have one more picture where they have noticed me and look into the camera, but that's nowhere near as good.
uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 6th, 2010, 9:43 am

I think children when they are not posing make great subjects, I took this picture of a group of Bedouin children in Eygpt this year, I think the little girl is just charming, they have vert little but all seem so happy, perhaps we should learn something from them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5150891348/

Well I am going to sign off now as it is a lovely sunny day so I am off walking (with my camera)

cheers Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby chools » November 6th, 2010, 10:44 am

Not sure that your birds are 'ugly' Terry, I for one would be very happy to see them wandering about in my back garden :D

Sadly I'm never too sure about taking pictures of children these days. As an 'older' male the media projects that you have some sort of alternative sleezy motive if you do

Hope you manage some good shots today, sunny start but overcast here now

KrC
chools

Postby chools » November 6th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Daylight, such as it was put up the shutters early today so I tried some photos around the house

chools

Postby uschi » November 7th, 2010, 12:35 am

Even women are suspect now. I often ask and most parents are happy. The most ridiculous incident was when I wanted to photograph a Shetland pony dozing at the Christmas market. There were children on the other ponies, but I only wanted that one, sans children. The owner went ballistic. One of the mothers had a really good laugh ... it was cold and all you could see of the children were their noses, they were that well wrapped up. Still, he felt I was up to no good. Or maybe he was worried I was working for an animal rights group. As far as I could see there was nothing for him to worry about. The horses had the thick coats of animals that didn't spend all day in a stable and they all looked good.
uschi
Registered

Postby chools » November 7th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Managed to get out for a walk before the sun went in (which it now has). Not far, just to the harbour and back. The bright winter sunlight was dazzling, I used a UV filter but even so everything that was white in the photos was nearly bleached out

Alan taking his dog for a spin :)

chools

Postby uschi » November 7th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Lovely picture! I also like the lichen on the harbour wall one.

Did you have that craze for type cases hung on the wall and filled with small kitsch items in the '80s?
uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 7th, 2010, 6:41 pm

Hi chools .
Looks like a lovely calm day, bet it`s not always like that.

Living in Coventry, the nearest sea is 100 miles away so don`t get there all that often

A lovely day here again today so made the most of it and walked a local disused railway track (thank you Mr Beeching) took sandwiches & coffee & walked about 8 miles.

So here are a couple of pictures.
The tree had a large flock of Long Tailed Tits in it but far too small to see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5154056475/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hickybank/5154052085/

Hope the waether is a s good tomorrow.

cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby chools » November 7th, 2010, 7:05 pm

chools

Postby uschi » November 7th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Ahh, Terry, that sky, that sky!! And the birch's leave against it! The weather was lousy here, so I had an afternoon nap instead of a walk to snap pictures. :oops:

Chools, ist that what it's called? Compositor's case? I really like them, and the fake ones, too. :oops:
uschi
Registered

Postby chools » November 7th, 2010, 8:33 pm

chools

Postby uschi » November 7th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Thank you. It's one of those terms that one can't look up that easily.
uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 12th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Evening all.

I was checking out some of the photo`s on this website.

Just have a look at this picture & tell me it is not the most awe inspiring picture of a bird you have ever seen, if I had taken this I think I wpuls have died of exitement, enjoy

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=2387

cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » November 12th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Do you mean the eagle in flight? Yep, he's great!!!
uschi
Registered

Postby chools » November 12th, 2010, 7:05 pm

chools

Postby karadekoolaid » November 13th, 2010, 11:44 am

A bit of local talent(the birds, not me!)
Attachments
DSC01422.JPG
No eagles here; buzzards, hawks, parakeets, macaws and an awesome number of thrushes. Oh, and these fellows, called Guacharacas (because of the infernal din they make when in my garden!)
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby uschi » November 13th, 2010, 11:54 am

I've had to look them up on Wikipedia ... and boy, am I glad I don't have them in my garden!!! :lol: They sound as noisy as peacocks.
uschi
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop