[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Your favourite photo.s

Your favourite photo.s

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Your favourite photo.s

Postby hickybank » February 3rd, 2013, 10:43 am

Yes great video's I can hear the music clearly
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 3rd, 2013, 11:38 am

Ah, good! I had the devil's own job of converting the first one. For some reason some videos were saved in a very odd format. Will have to try and find out what went wrong. I spent some happy hours finding formatting programs and using them. Grrrr.
uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 3rd, 2013, 12:03 pm

Computers :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 3rd, 2013, 2:08 pm

Yes, but what would we do without them!!! :lol:

And while we are at it, a few more from yesterday.

Karneval being bigger business than Christmas in the Rhineland almost everything is geared toward it. Some people even emigrate for a few days because they can't bear it (my Ex tries to get Women's Karneval off, because he can't bear to get kissed and pawed. :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
You can get tacky costumes, but also some really nice stuff. That necklace is lovely.

And this hat isn't bad. Mind you, I could whip one like that up within ten minutes.

These are more on the boring side, but pretty colours.

Even the food seems to come in more cheerful colours.

I know, this is slightly tacky, but I was sorely tempted by the necklace ... you'll see later what I consoled myself with.

And for those wanting to sample some local brews, here it is, an Altbier (Düsseldorf's dark local beer) safari that boasts to make you an Altbier-expert by touring 5 breweries and sampling five Altbiere in 120 minutes.
Prost!!!! (it's not bad at 22,50 a head, beers included).

I mislaid my rings (found them yesterday), so snapped up these two tacky specimen - and then came across the bracelet. Tacky or not, I wanted it and at six Euro it wasn't too bad. All of the crystals are acryllic, but who cares!!! :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :luv: :luv:

But not all is Karneval and colourful. Here, a more upmarket boutique is plying its wares ... the angel is part of the display.

... and pigs might fly ... more of their display.

The dress would be good for Karneval, for those with more discerning tastes. I love the skirt.

uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 3rd, 2013, 2:15 pm

Amazing Uschi they really know how to party in Germany don't they, great photo's
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 3rd, 2013, 2:39 pm

Personally, I would rather do a wine-tasting tour, but there you go. :lol:

Not all Germany is celebrating, it is just areas in the West down to the South and a few enclaves in East Germany that celebrate. The North is completely untouched by it all and Berlin has to tolerate all the civil servants that were transplanted up there from the Rhine when Bonn ceased to be the capital. And they celebrate no matter what. The Berliners stand by and watch bemused as those Rhinelanders make fools of themselves, joined by Swabians, Hessians, Bavarians and a few Thuringians and Saxons. :lol: Give them ten years and they'll be joined by the Turks and we will see big parades in Berlin, too!!! :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby philFrance » February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm

Terry: your bird photos are astonishingly good! The clarity and detail are remarkable.

You got a hoopoe with its crest up? I've never even SEEN a hoopoe with it's crest up, and we get them here every summer, even right outside the house.

I won't be showing these to my teenage daughter, who's just starting in on photography, since she'll feel she can never reach that standard. But maybe once day she will.

phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 3rd, 2013, 6:25 pm

Hi Phil, glad you like them & as a teenager your daughter will learn very quickly, why not introduce her to this thread if we can help we will.

I think the bird you are referring to is a Waxwing as I have never been fortunate enough to see a Hooppoe.

Cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby philFrance » February 3rd, 2013, 6:52 pm

Oops! The hoopoe photo was by someone else.

But your waxwing photo sticks in my mind. I saw them only once, during a very cold winter in the Scottish Borders, in the late 60's,/early 70's. Exotic creatures!

If I, or my daughter, ever learn to do good bird photos, I'll try to post them, but I'm a technological disaster area.

We get a whole load of exotic stuff down here in the S of F: bee-eaters, rollers, hoopoes. Wonderful stuff!

Phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby uschi » February 3rd, 2013, 7:54 pm

The only hoopoe I've ever seen was behind the iron curtain. :lol: No camera ready then.
uschi
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 3rd, 2013, 8:41 pm

I saw a few in the Algarve. One abiding memory is of one young man stamping on the head of a hooppoe. This was in a village. Beauiful birds. And we saw Golden Orioles.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 3rd, 2013, 9:39 pm

Went for a walk today, first time I have taken my camera for a week, I took this picture, A simple memorial to a much loved pet, I thought it was quite moving
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 3rd, 2013, 11:45 pm

Nice looking doggie!
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 4th, 2013, 6:00 am

I once saw a hoopoe in Suffolk - it was in March and apparently a few had been blown North on some strong winds while migrating northwards - it was great to see it - I'd seen them in France before and it was impossible not to recognise that distinctive flight.
It's a shame I didn't get a photo but I was driving and by the time I'd stopped I couldn't see it anywhere. It was in perfect hoopoe country, a rural area with meadows and a plantation of poplars like you see in France. I did go back to the site a few times but didn't see it again. :(
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 4th, 2013, 7:58 am

Touches your heart, that dog picture on the tree :tu:
You were lucky to see them here suffolk.
Terry, you always takes such beautiful pictures of everything :-). Your orchids were really nice. You have a good camera and an eye for the shots you takes, composition etc. etc. :tu:
Hoopoes are so pretty, hopping around on the ground, feeding. I have seen them in hot countries, but they are not easy to photograph, keep moving around fast. When we were kids, they were very common in India, not so any more. If I see any next time I am there, I will try to take a couple.
I just love birds, even when I don't know what they are, which is most of the time :roll:

Here is another pretty bird, Crowned Ground pigeon, not a good picture though;

Crowned Ground pigeon  1000.jpg
Mamta
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 4th, 2013, 8:38 am

Those are beautiful Mamta, where were those I love those crowns
terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 4th, 2013, 9:44 am

Oooh, consider me green with envy, Mamta!!! We have them at the zoo ... behind mesh wire fencing ... almost impossible to get a good picture.

They are huge, almost like chicken and what wouldn't I give to get my hands on some of those feathers!!! (No, no, I don't mean plucking them from the poor birds, but waiting until they moult ...)
uschi
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 4th, 2013, 10:09 am

Mamta
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 4th, 2013, 10:52 am

Mamta wrote
Even after man polluting the earth to the best of his ability, it is still an amazingly beautiful place and we live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world

How right you are Mamta, it breaks my heart at times as we try to destroy the most wonderful planet in the universe.

Madagascar is a fantastic place, you have been blessed with some wonderful travel experiences & great that you can share them on here with us, thanks.

Here is a picture of a furry friend I have just sorted out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62075431@N02/8444491926/

Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby chicken_hot_pot² » February 4th, 2013, 10:57 am

Some wonderful photo from everyone.

Have finally seen a neighbour!! Now just got to get to know them before asking them if they have the Internet. :lol: :lol:

Some more from me, not taken that recently as it's done nothing but rain here. I need some sun.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44506883@N04/
I can still cook Yorkshire Puddings.
chicken_hot_pot²
Registered

Postby uschi » February 4th, 2013, 11:23 am

Lovely birds! "That's my girl" looks as if she's been at the powder compact and the blusher! The impatient and careful ducks are great, too.

I hope your new neighbour will be nice and accommodating!!!

As for the weather, tell me about it!! Well, I am lucky the Fairy Race is held indoors these days.
uschi
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 4th, 2013, 11:40 am

Mamta
Registered

Postby amazing » February 7th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Picture of sunset taken Tuesday night. As I was opening the kitchen window, standing on a stepladder, I noticed a murmaration of starlings doing their nightly flight round the town.

They are on the right side about halfway down.
Attachments
Sky  and battery walls 021.jpg
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby amazing » February 7th, 2013, 11:45 pm

This little brass bird in the wall is one of about eight that were placed by an artist.

They have been placed in a very old wall.

Have just noticed that just below to the right there seems to be an old man's face. Can you see it?
Attachments
Sky  and battery walls 011.jpg
Last edited by amazing on February 7th, 2013, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby uschi » February 8th, 2013, 12:10 am

I can see a face It would have to be turned upright in the shadow of your fingers. :D

What a sweet little thing and the layering in the stones is wonderful!
uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 8th, 2013, 10:30 am

Fresh snow here this morning.

uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 8th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Oh hat wonderful snow Uschi I wonder if it is coming our way

I can see a face made by the hand but I am looking at the rock as amazing says it is on the right hand side
hickybank
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 8th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Lovely pictures of the snow Uschi.
BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Lilylouise » February 9th, 2013, 10:35 am

There are some wonderful photos on this thread - haven' t seen them all yet :)
Lilylouise
Registered

Postby amazing » February 9th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Hi lilylouise, glad you found your way here. I'm using same name as on Taps.

Are you going to put some of your garden pics up?
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 9th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Last edited by hickybank on February 9th, 2013, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 11th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Hi Lilylouise, great to "see" new faces. Welcome!!!

I'm sorry I was so quiet for a few days, but Karneval needed to be celebrated.

A small report about this year's Fairy Race. I didn't go on my own as I had the last years, but my neighbours Rosi and Günther came along, too. I should have asked someone to snap all three of us, but I forgot. Here are Rosi and I after the race.

Rosi and Günther on the gallery where they prefered to watch proceedings. I'd gone downstairs and positioned myself right in front of the runway.

Before we got there, though, we met this lovely pair in the train. I would like to mention that we have no tradition of minstrel shows and people will dress up as anything and anyone. You will meet Chinese, Japanese, various African tribes, Huns, Inuit, Native Americans, Polynesians and what have you. The cowgirl of the gang was on the loo, together with a rather boring police girl.

The venue for the race is a big disco called "Nachtresidenz" (night residence) with a wonderful stage and a gallery that has curved stairs leading up to it - very pretty.

Someone's English is not up to scratch.

I didn't realise you could buy a whole barrel of beer.

The guests were certainly trying to give the fairies a run for their money.

Death here is a prime example that a less is more sometimes. No need for a costume with that make-up. His companion is the flavour of the month, costume-wise. Stewardesses in smart retro uniforms abounded. And she got it just right.

uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 11th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Conferencier Rüdiger conducted everything and exhorted the masses to greet everyone with a big "Helau!!!" from the heart.

The audience in full swing.

And now for the Fairies. I don't usually go for crotch shots, but try and avoid that here ...

I forgot most of the names this year, but this vision in white and her feather boa were certainly putting on a show.

uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 11th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Some great legs there, but not everyone could cut it ...

Still, some had great costumes and then those poses ... a purple angel.

Lady Butterfly in pink!!

And Kylie (she came on in several costumes) in her stunning blue outfit!!!

A shot for the engineers amongst you.

Konfetti!!!!!!

uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 11th, 2013, 10:36 pm

As I said, stewardesses are all the rage as these three ladies show.

And here is Dominique, a vision of loveliness. She's a seasoned veteran!

Lady Gaga and her pet.

She was recalled for the finale by the Hoppeditz (spirit of Karneval).

uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 11th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Absolutely fabulous photo's Uschi you must have had a brilliant time, wish I could have been there with you

Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 11th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Well, you could always book a hotel room in D-dorf or Cologne next year with Ann and come along. :D I'd help you with the costumes, too!!!

Singer Max dutifully measured every heel in the competition ... I think the highest heels were 18 cm (seven inches) and I tried to snap as many as I could.

uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 11th, 2013, 11:22 pm

And here are a few pictures of Karneval officialdom.

Apart from the Prince Karneval there is usually a princess, or, as in Düsseldorf a Venetia. And a very pretty and petite one it was this year.

And here are the guards ...

Prince Carsten must be one of the first openly gay princes. His partner and Venetia's rode on horseback before their float today and both cut fine figures.

One of the fairies gave up her heels so the prince could take a few steps in them. At six ft four and a half inches in his socks, these heels really gave him a lift. Oh, and last year's prince was small and stocky, but able to rock the stage, so I wondered how well this year's offering would fare ... I need not have worried, he rocked, too.

Karneval medals are an important feature in official Karneval and this gent had garnered a very pretty specimen.

Tom Bauer, the Hoppeditz (spirit of Karneval) was part of the jury. He does have a busy schedule and tries to put in appearances at all the great parties, so it is a real gift to give up four hours of his valuable time for the race. All the proceedings of the race go to an Aids charity, btw, so Kudos for him for helping to add even more glamour to the event.

Last edited by uschi on February 11th, 2013, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 12th, 2013, 12:56 am

And next, a few pictures from Sunday.

Your fearless reporter braving the cold to bring you exclusive pictures of Wuppertal's enormous and famous parade. ;-))))

Not everybody was alert and waiting for sweets to be thrown from the floats ...

And here you see them ... throwing "Kamelle" (caramels = sweets). To get a decent sweet shower one must do two things, shout the local Karneval slogan (in this case "Wuppdika!!!") and then "Kamelle!!!".

The Weinberger Funken were generous and the kids grateful.

This lot shows that you can't be too young to start being a Karneval fool.

But then it's an occasion for all ages. This lot had brough their own food and drink. I guess that scrabbling on the ground to get the sweets does lose its appeal in later years. But never mind, they still had fun.

The dance corps of the Royal pair.

uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 12th, 2013, 1:08 am

But the big clubs aren't the only ones to keep street Karneval alive, the many who lavish care and attention on small displays like this make it all worthwhile.

Mind you, a motto float is a lovely sight.

And the yellow item in the right hand side's knight is a premium bar of chocolate. The big clubs simply have more money to spend. I did not get this bar, but a cheaper nut and milk bar. And yummy it was, too.

Small bags of popcorn are also popular. I even snatched a small bag of Wotsits. :-))))

A fairytale in Wuppertal ...

A little lion feeling fed up and hard done by.

Did you have these, too, in the 'Seventies: laughing bags??? Small sacks with a canned laughter device which would be activated by pressing the sack??? These are the modern versions.

uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 12th, 2013, 1:14 am

I'm running out of steam here ... so not that many comments anymore.

Not exactly a childrens' crusade, but the kids take it seriously.

And more Kamelle for the kids lining the streets.

He looked a bit unsure, but like so many was dragged along to the festivities. ;-)

uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » February 12th, 2013, 1:16 am

uschi
Registered

Postby spotteddick » February 12th, 2013, 3:53 pm

my pics from Karneval and the pics of Rick Steins Vietnamese orang duck are contained in my Blog, link below! Both the carneval and Ricks duck went down a treat :tu: :chops: :chops: :chops:

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blog ... o-eat.html
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby uschi » February 12th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Wonderful pictures and a great bit of reporting to accompany them!

One can tell you lived in Berlin for a long time. What's the bet your Pfannkuchen are called Berliner, Ballen or Berliner Ballen in Ost-Westfalen???? :P :P :P Whatever they are called, they are delicious and I adore the boozy pudding filled ones you can get right now. :kneel: :kneel:

It's amazing that Westfalians put on such a good Karneval. Well done!!! They obviously lavish a lot of love and attention on everything all year long. :D

Love your food, too!!!
It's just Savoy cabbage stew here.
Last edited by uschi on February 12th, 2013, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uschi
Registered

Postby chicken_hot_pot² » February 13th, 2013, 10:41 am

What lovely photos, so bright and cheerful.

Some I've taken recently.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44506883@N04/

Am working on getting a wifi connection at home. Probably via a G3 - is it that in English???? Actually the offer makes it a G4 and the shop says it's probably my best bet. Just got to speak to him with the loot. He's going to say yes, or he won't be saying anything else for awhile. :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
chicken_hot_pot²
Registered

Postby chicken_hot_pot² » February 14th, 2013, 12:09 pm

I'm back in on a G3. I get a limited amount of time per month about 3/4 hours a day so the saleswoman said, but I can go and use my free connection from time to time too to save my key.

It's lovely to be back and you all seem to have disappeared. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Will pop by later and upload some photos I took the other day.
chicken_hot_pot²
Registered

Postby uschi » February 14th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Sorry, there was Karneval and then one had to recover from the ordeal. ;) ;) ;)

I love your leaden cloud pictures, especially of the Art Deko ensemble (what is housed in it now? It looks like an old cinema or theatre) and the pink house, but also all of the wonderful architectural details.

Oh, and the alarmed look on Bonnie's face with Tigger inside her bag!!!! :luv: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:

Lent seems to have been cancelled this year. ;) ;) ;)

uschi
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 14th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Nice to see you back on here Jane & sharing your photo's hopefully you will be back full time soon.

Uschi all that sweetness is making my mouth water

Been cooking all day for Valentines meal tonight as we are having our friends around as well.

I think you may have seen these before but thought I would post again.

Terry

hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 14th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Not for the faint-hearted and very spectacular!!!
uschi
Registered

Postby chicken_hot_pot² » February 14th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Last edited by chicken_hot_pot² on February 14th, 2013, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chicken_hot_pot²
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop