A mobile phone handset for a complete technophobe?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

A mobile phone handset for a complete technophobe?

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 24th, 2017, 11:59 pm

No, not for me! I am quite happy with Nokia Lumia and all the functions that come with it.
This is for my Mum, bless her.
Her mobile hand set is about five years old, if not more. She is having massive memory problems and texts coming through in the wrong order. It has a tiny screen, which with her eyesight is difficult for her to see too well.
She is on PAYG and wants to keep it this way, but is adamant she does not want to upgrade her handset, think it is too much bother. My Sister saw her getting stressed about it a couple of years ago and got her an i-phone, but Mum told her to take it back, which she did! I don't blame her. I hated i-phone too.
So back to square one.
At least two or three times a day Mum moans about her phone but does not understand the difference between failing handset and battery, and the fact that even if she upgrades her handset, the poor signal where she lives will still be just as bad. At home where mobile signal is bad she still has landline. When out and about I want to make sure she has a reliable and useable mobile.
I want to take her to a local store for her provider to peruse options with them, but don't want her to end up with another handset she is not happy to use.
Any tips on handsets for the none-too-technical?
She hardly calls, mainly texts and really just wants for emergencies. She doesn't want or need a camera, although I think if she had one she would love it. No need for internet.
I would love to spend a whole day teaching her the functions of Lumia which I think are great, but think she would freak!
Any ideas? I think this phone of hers is about to die soon so better get in there with an upgrade quick before she is left phone-less!
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: A mobile phone handset for a complete technophobe?

Postby suffolk » August 25th, 2017, 3:08 am

I know your mums not really old, but it might be an idea to look at some of the basic phones designed for older people ... Larger screens and keys and simpler operations. If you google phones for elderly or something like that you should find some.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 25th, 2017, 8:21 am

If you have a weak signal in your house, you can buy a booster.

Does she have a land line in her house? You need one for emergencies, You can't always guarantee a mobile signal, even if the signal strength is normally good.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » August 27th, 2017, 7:32 pm

All my little phone does is texting & calls. That's all I want from a phone. Even so, I don't use it very often, but it's there if I need it.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 14th, 2017, 11:23 am

I needed to speak to my own mobile provider today and mentioned my Mum's need for a new phone. They recommended DORO. I have had a look online at this and it looks quite good. Does anyone have any experience of DORO handsets?
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2017, 11:49 am

Think that's the make my Aged Ps had ... they were in their late 80s/early 90s and until Ma's dementia got bad she was able to use their phone.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 14th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Sounds promising Suffolk, thank you.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 14th, 2017, 6:17 pm

We have Doro landline phones and a Doro mobile phone, mainly because they are good for those with hearing loss, but they also have large keys and are easy to use.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Amber » September 14th, 2017, 9:37 pm

My 93yr old aunt has a doro flip phone and LOVES it. She can do texts and photos...perfect. :D
And very simple to operate.

The EE chap was a great help too.
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 15th, 2017, 6:30 am

Was talking to my mother about getting new landline phones. Does the Doro enable you to increase the volume of the speaker caller? (So that they don't have to SHOUT!)?

One of the things that enfuriates me about my mother's phones (and, er, my mother) is that they are designed such that the end call button is located in such a place that she tends to accidentally terminate the call. I don't know how she holds them, as I have never done this, but I wish they would put this button somewhere else. Not sure where... I can't persuade her to have a corded phone with an extension under the carpet. (Would be an awful faff to do as anyway.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 15th, 2017, 6:34 am

p.s. Is this them? I wonder if they have stopped doing landlines.

https://www.doro.co.uk/
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 15th, 2017, 7:20 am

Herbidacious wrote:p.s. Is this them? I wonder if they have stopped doing landlines.

https://www.doro.co.uk/

There are landline phones on that site.

There is a volume control on our cordless phone, but we mainly bought because it was hearing-aid compatible.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » September 17th, 2017, 9:09 pm

ah yes, i see them now. My mother will want at least three handsets. I might see if I can contact them to see if you can just add on handsets. Thanks!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 18th, 2017, 6:58 am

Herbidacious wrote:ah yes, i see them now. My mother will want at least three handsets. I might see if I can contact them to see if you can just add on handsets. Thanks!

I have the 1010 system that came with 2 phones, but the handbook says you can add more - the system will cope with up to 5. It's still worth contacting them though, as mine are a few years old now, and things might have changed.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Return to The Coffee Shop