Chatterbox LXXVIII Olivia

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXVIII Olivia

Postby dennispc » September 14th, 2017, 10:29 am

The world's gone mad. :scared: Apparently, according to the Times, sales of puy lentils has gone through the roof.

Reason? The school George attends has them on their menu, can't remember what with. Just because they're on the menu! Wanders off … shaking head … muttering ...
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 14th, 2017, 10:31 am

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Quite agree Dennipc...

jrc- congrats to you on weight loss and to Bob on new job (Bob a Job in fact! :D )
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » September 14th, 2017, 10:50 am

dennispc wrote:The world's gone mad. :scared: Apparently, according to the Times, sales of puy lentils has gone through the roof.

Reason? The school George attends has them on their menu, can't remember what with. Just because they're on the menu! Wanders off … shaking head … muttering ...

load of hot air, if you ask me - it'll pass soon.
scullion
Registered

Postby jrc » September 14th, 2017, 11:04 am

scullion wrote:
dennispc wrote:The world's gone mad. :scared: Apparently, according to the Times, sales of puy lentils has gone through the roof.

load of hot air, if you ask me - it'll pass soon.

It will with too many lentils. :sprout:

Moira, I posted the ingredients on the previous page, just in case you don't read back. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 14th, 2017, 11:54 am

jrc I make mini savoury muffins as nibbles sometimes. Cheese and ham, olive and goat cheese etc. very quick and easy. I could do a recipe if anyone wants.

As for Puy Lentils...........reported in the Times......... enough said :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby nursemimi » September 14th, 2017, 11:54 am

Good morning :wave: I have a test to take for work today. Other wise not much planned. Housework mainly.
Well done jrc and Bob. Moira I freeze all new bags of dry good's for a couple of days then place in air tight
Containers seems to work i rarely have issues with anything in them.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Hurrah! Laptop has mended itself ... switching off and on again helped ;) :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 14th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Ratatouille wrote:mini savoury muffins as nibbles sometimes. Cheese and ham, olive and goat cheese etc. very quick and easy. I could do a recipe if anyone wants.

Yes please.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 14th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Think the focaccia isn't happening

The builders came and turned the power off at just the wrong moment, will have to stroll up to the Turkish bakery

However on the plus side I will have a working bathroom door in an hour or so, handy as Book Club is here tonight :lol:
They have already replaced the damaged power socket and changed the dimmer switch for one that actually works with LEDs, Ed is currently assembling the new shower screen on the living room floor

I'm in that betwixt andf between place where I can't do much because they are here and I feel slightly at a loose end
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 14th, 2017, 1:15 pm

I think that I might prefer the components of the breakfast muffins individually, jrc but maybe that is just me. BTW do you eat them with your fingers?
The Lakeland order has been unpacked, we got a free gift of Klippets, they will replace our Mk 1 clothes pegs,

I am just about to make some Plum Sauce, I bought some frozen duck breasts, we shall have them tomorrow together with the sauce, noodles and stir fried broccoli.

No workman today, I assume that Kyriacos knows as he is both our landlord and their employer. The water supply is back to normal

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 14th, 2017, 2:07 pm

A quick :wave: :wave: .

Sounds as though things are turning a corner for you jrc :hug: :hug:

Someone once sent me a supposedly T&T recipe for mini savoury muffins to take to pot luck events etc., which I followed to the letter. They looked delicious but stuck to the cases horribly and were not very exciting to eat. ( I assume we are talking about American-style 'muffins'). I don't get on well with American muffin batters really and prefer good old British cake, scone or yeast recipes ;) . I'd be interested to see your recipe Rats, if you say it works I know it will. jrc - I hope that yours were :chops: :chops: :chops:

Sue - just realised you have the handymen in to fit your shower screen amongst other things! So much nicer than attempting it yourself! It will all look lovely when done.

Suffs - sorry to hear about DD - I know nothing of the condition but thought it could be operated on to improve matters. It sounds as though that is an unwelcome last resort :(.

Last nightshift tonight - yippee! A nice long break starts tomorrow - of course there are umpteen chores to do and a garden to clear up :(.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 14th, 2017, 2:12 pm

I am back. I found some work to do :D Not long to hometime one hour 20 minutes ish ;) I have left chicken defrosting to cook for dinner tonight ,any ideas a nice recipe of some sort would be good. I can't decide what I fancy.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 14th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Got to go we have a panic on. See you tomorrow :wave: :wave:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 14th, 2017, 4:16 pm

We had a good trip to Bastia, the old port was full of character. A quick visit to Le Clerc and a picnic on a beach on the way back to our accommodation. The aromas from the kitchen smell amazing, I am wondering if it will be sanglier ?

On the way out to supper last night we saw a HUGE boar cross the road in front of us! Then 2 younger ones on the way home !

Just one other snippet.... there are kiwi's growing here at I Fundali !!!! Never seen them growing fruit before.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » September 14th, 2017, 4:37 pm

my mother had them growing in the garden in north herts. it bore masses of fruit.they make lovely jam. i have cuttings from both the male and female. the fruit is picked in early winter.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2017, 4:52 pm

scullion wrote:they make lovely jam

It did taste really good :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 14th, 2017, 5:09 pm

:wave: :wave: Yoo hoo ... I bet nobody has noticed that I haven't posted since yesterday morning ;)

That's because yesterday I was on the cookery course that my good friend (who I am doing the informal dinner party for) bought me for my 70th birthday ... The Cooking Academy is only a 10 minute drive away from where I live and the (private) house backs onto Moor Park Golf Course. I chose the Nutritional Class but with hindsight, the tutor didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (although not the same can be said for a couple of the other participants :rolleyes: ) I think I would have benefitted more from Chinese, Thai or Indian cuisine, but I came away with some nice recipes and delicious dishes... I may just treat myself to an Indian course another time (a snip at £120 a day ! ;) :o :lol: )

In fact the main dish of Moroccan Spiced Fricassee of Chicken with Butternut Squash and Chickpeas is going to replace my original plan of Pulled Pork for the dinner party .. I think I may as well let my friend benefit from what I learned/cooked yesterday. Other dishes were Roasted Sea Bass with Red Peppers an Olives and a delicious salad to go with this of Green Lentil, Chicory and Pomegranate Seeds with Feta Cheese.

I was mildly surprised at the ignorance shown by a couple of other participants... Our tutor advised that there is no need to peel veggies, simply scrub them as most of the goodness is just under the skin. One lady queried whether this would be OK for veggies she grew herself on her allotment where she used horse manure and the land frequented by rabbits :rolleyes: I commented that both horses and rabbits are herbivores.... then another girl was worried how she could be sure the chicken in the fricassee was cooked right through (this was boneless thighs cut into chunks, sautéed off before being simmered in a stock with cubed BNS for 30 minutes) .. she also asked where she could buy said thighs. She was also worried about the fish dish (fillets) being cooked after 10 minutes in a hot oven . she admitted to never cooking meat as she lived alone, only eating meat and fish in restaurants. .. ..
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2017, 5:39 pm

We did remark how quiet it was Patsy ................... :duck:

Glad you were out enjoying yourself :chef:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 14th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Good evening everyone,
I've had a bit of a frustrating day - my loo is still not flushing 100% :sprout: , when my son is up at the weekend I'm going to get him to hoick the pressure washer out of the garage and see if a good blast with that solves the problem!

Then as the weather was dry I decided to do some gardening, popped into the greenhouse so what was needing picking to discover my toms had started with blight :x so my kitchen is now full of toms in varying stages of ripeness and the plants are binned. Consequently I'm shattered so it was lovely to get a call from friends to say they were in Troon and did I fancy a fish supper? It was lovely to see them and the fish & chips were lovely :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 14th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Miss Mouse: Here goes - basic recipe can be changed at will.

250gr plan flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
250ml milk
150 g Boursin type cheese
2 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes
60ml olive oil
60gr pitted olives chopped
seasoning
Set oven to 200C
Put everything else in a food processor and blend,
add dry ingredients

Bake in either 12 muffin tins or 24 mini tins until risen and cooked. leave in tins for a little while and serve warm.

sift the flour and baking powder
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 14th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Rats, could I use grated cheddar instead of Boursin ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Amber » September 14th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Moira, I have also suffered with flour weevils, and bought the Lakeland ' lock' boxes. They are great...but I did still get a few weevils in; it maybe better to start again completely from scratch with new flours, bicarbonate etc. Touch wood, I haven't had any weevils for about a year or more now. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » September 14th, 2017, 10:00 pm

We went to Le Puy in the summer and I was determined to buy local lentils - but the 'tourist' prices put me off.

Still a great place to visit. I'd like to go again when we have more time to just meander....
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2017, 5:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I wonder if the workmen will turn up this morning?
Patsy: I know what you mean about some people's food ignorance. When I go to Moon's Vietnamese cookery classes I am amazed at what some people do not know, there are also things like using locally grown red and green peppers instead of imported Dutch peppers. As for using Fish sauce :o

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 15th, 2017, 5:49 am

Good morning all. I am loving this beautiful and unpredictive autumn weather. They are reporting frost on the weather for this weekend! I love wrap up warm weather and luckily have no outdoor plants to have to worry about. We still have sunshine here alongside the chilliness.
I am picking up my new prescription glasses today. An eye test after three years shows quite a bit of deterioration especially in the right eye where there is apparently a large scar affecting my eyesight probably caused by an eye infection. I can't wait to be able to read, watch TV and drive and actually see what I am doing. Mum should be bringing my food processor and as many cookery books as she can carry from storage. Should be a productive day!
Have fun!
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 15th, 2017, 6:19 am

Morning all, sat on the breakfast balcony outside in the sun in my sundress.......... there is still lots of time for Autumn ! I am keeping Summer for a while longer ! :D

Might go to our local beach today for a swim and sunbathe and read. I am over half way through Red Dwarf and find myself laughing out loud at times. We are now running out of reading material and Mr. Z. has resorted to a fortnight old edition of the W/e Financial times !!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 15th, 2017, 6:37 am

Ratatouille wrote:Here goes - basic recipe can be changed at will.

Thanks Rats. It looks VG. I shall have a bash.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2017, 7:14 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
We have a blue sky here in Norfolk, and although a light breeze has arrived in the past hour, it's nothing like the blustery winds we've had for the past two days ... I'm visiting DD today to take her shopping and do some bits and bobs for her that she can't do while she rests her hand following a carpal tunnel injection.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2017, 7:35 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Guess what, it's raining :rolleyes: But it is Friday so a half (ish) day for me :bounce: :bounce:
icelesley
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » September 15th, 2017, 8:11 am

suffolk wrote:Good morning all :D :mug:
We have a blue sky here in Norfolk, and although a light breeze has arrived in the past hour, it's nothing like the blustery winds we've had for the past two days ... I'm visiting DD today to take her shopping and do some bits and bobs for her that she can't do while she rests her hand following a carpal tunnel injection.

I think she should ask about surgery. My sister had CTS in both hands and had the operation and she's fine now.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 15th, 2017, 8:26 am

Oh my goodness. Another homemade explosive detonated in London. What is the world coming to.
You all ok London based foodies?
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 15th, 2017, 8:27 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Very cloudy here clearly Zosh is using up all the sunshine!

Pat the point about the Bourssin is to provide some soft fat content, I do make a version with harder cheese but I add mustard, about a tbsp. You could also substitute a spoonful of chutney for the mustard and some grated onion for the cheese.
They are really very adaptable and if you do full sized ones make super picnic food.

The new fridge is to be delivered on Thursday which gives us timeto organise olivier to help and me to work out the logistics
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 15th, 2017, 8:36 am

Ratatouille wrote:Pat the point about the Bourssin is to provide some soft fat content, I do make a version with harder cheese but I add mustard, about a tbsp. You could also substitute a spoonful of chutney for the mustard and some grated onion for the cheese. They are really very adaptable and if you do full sized ones make super picnic food.

thanks for the explanation Rats .. :) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2017, 8:53 am

OMG another explosion :o Where? I haven't got the TV on I am about to start a training session with someone.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 15th, 2017, 9:08 am

Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2017, 10:12 am

I am back. Just seen it on the news.
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2017, 10:48 am

Not long to lunchtime :hungry: ham and cheese toasted sandwich thin for me :chops:
Last edited by icelesley on September 15th, 2017, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2017, 12:02 pm

We listened to reports of the Parson's Green event on the radio, luckily no one seems to have been seriously injured, a lot of them seem to have been injured in the ensuing confusion at the Tube Station.

I wish that I knew what the men were doing up there on the roof.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 15th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Just had my lovely friend from Kent on the phone to thank us for her birthday flowers. She's the lady who used to have her own GP practice but was diagnosed with MS some 25 years ago. They were on their way to a posh fish retaurant in Folkestone so if anyone happens to be there please giev her a wave from me :wave:

Olivier has also rung to say he'll be here on Tuesday to play chess with the fridges, giving us the chance to repaint the alcove ready for the new one.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2017, 12:24 pm

I am back.......just though you might want to know :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » September 15th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Hi Rats, I am about 35 miles from Folkestone. Will give your friend a wave from here. :wave: :wave: :wave:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 15th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Thanks jrc she'll appereciate that,
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2017, 12:46 pm

I am slowly packing up now. I have just dropped the mail at the postroom so I am finished. Have a lovely weekend everyone, stay safe, see you all Monday :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » September 15th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Bye Lesley :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 15th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Just a swift visit dear Wildies to let you know I'm off on my hols. Keep weather fingers crossed! :D

We're away for two weeks (Lakes) so will catch you on the flip side. Take care all of you :hug: :hug: :wave: :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 15th, 2017, 1:25 pm

A quick :wave: .

Have a lovely time Seatallen!!

Slept better this morning than any other day this week - typical when I can go to bed tonight (and will!). I would really like to veg out on the sofa all afternoon and watch catch up TV and eat things but there is only healthy food in the house I need to go and queue at the council offices for a parking permit for my new car and go and post a card. The council offices are dire but it is easier to do that than do it online as you have to fill in numerous forms and scan proof of residency and send the old permit back to get a rebate etc. The walk will do me good.

:hug: :hug: :mug:

Thank you for the muffin recipe Rats - will try it sometime and hope I have more luck with it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2017, 2:27 pm

The workmen have gone, they were here until 4 00pm, most unusual as most Cypriot workmen knock off at 1 30 pm on Fridays. I spent sometime giving them glasses of water, I never begrudge anyone water.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Hello everyone ... I'm home :D and very pleased to report that DD's injected hand is much less swollen and painful ... she's doing as she's been told and is resting it ... we went to Sainsbugs and filled the trolley with meals that don't require a cook's intervention, other than to put them in the oven so when she returns to work next week she can rest her hands in the evening. Fingers crossed that the improvement continues.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 15th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Ratatouille wrote:They were on their way to a posh fish retaurant in Folkestone so if anyone happens to be there please giev her a wave from me

One of my school friends lives in Folkestone and has probably been to that restaurant .. I'll tell her to keep a look-out ;) :) :wave: :wave: :wave:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 16th, 2017, 6:33 am

Wakey Wakey ! Where are you all !!!! I thought I was late? It must be nearly time to go home, it is overcast and cloudy today with a chance of a thunderstorm....... A reading day I think, maybe under the large porch we have here.
Zosherooney
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop