Another Techie Help Request!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Another Techie Help Request!

Postby earthmaiden » September 19th, 2017, 8:25 am

I have an HP Envy 5530 printer.

When I first had it, it printed double-sided beautifully with no hiccups. I am not sure what paper I was using at the time.

I am currently using HP Everyday paper - A4 210 x 297mm. I am not sure if the problem started with this paper or not - being HP it should be perfect for an HP printer!

However, if I try to print double sided it always says that the paper is too short.

I have the printer set up for A4 21.0 x 29.7cm, with HP paper inserted the usual way. Nothing I do will alter the fact i can no longer print double-sided.

I suppose could buy some cheap Sainsburys paper which i have a feeling is what I was using originally :evil: .

I am very cross.

Any ideas?
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Another Techie Help Request!

Postby hickybank » September 19th, 2017, 8:38 am

No idea unless your printer is set to landscape mode rather than portrait
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 19th, 2017, 8:54 am

Go to control Panel - Printers-Find your printer-
printer preferences
Main: Text or text and image
Paper Option: Source Auto - Type plain paper - size A4 210 x 297 Borders Yes
2 sided print select Off / Auto / Manual
Orientation: Portrait
If all that is set it should be OK
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 19th, 2017, 11:41 am

I have a question of anyone familiar with emails ... How do you set your emails so that you get a notification of when it is opened/read ? I think it may be something to do with setting a rule, but I don't know what the rule is called - or am I wide of the mark ? :? :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 19th, 2017, 1:40 pm

In outlook if you go to options, then mail, then scroll down there is a section tracking, tick Delivery receipt to show the mail is delivered and read receipt to see when someone reads a mail you have sent. Then you get the messages received and read. I am sure all emails will have similar layouts.
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 19th, 2017, 3:44 pm

icelesley wrote:In outlook if you go to options, then mail, then scroll down there is a section tracking, tick Delivery receipt to show the mail is delivered and read receipt to see when someone reads a mail you have sent. Then you get the messages received and read. I am sure all emails will have similar layouts.

Thanks Lesley ... I can find no Options, but my emails are all on my BT account... I am a bit of a technophobe/thicky though :( ;) :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 20th, 2017, 7:20 am

AH !! The wonders of BT. I don't think you can ask for return receipt or read receipt on BT mail, if you can it is well hidden, I haven't managed to find it yet.
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 20th, 2017, 8:16 am

icelesley wrote:AH !! The wonders of BT. I don't think you can ask for return receipt or read receipt on BT mail, if you can it is well hidden, I haven't managed to find it yet.

I don't feel quite so thick then ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 20th, 2017, 8:24 am

I haven't seen BT but do know that the function is in very different places on different email systems. On Virgin it is hidden in a section called 'more', right at the bottom of all the files on the left hand side. I suspect you will have one somewhere - are there any online instructions anywhere?

Thanks for the printer advice icey and hickey - it's all set up as it should be for A4 and is set to landscape or portrait depending on what I want. I still get the message saying it cannot print on paper shorter than 4.9 x 12.5cm. :evil: :evil: (when it has already printed the first side of A4 perfectly well). I bought it in John Lewis, I shall have to go and see if they have any idea. It was one of the main features I wanted.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 20th, 2017, 8:41 am

I think my version of Outlook is a bit old and doesn't have the Read Receipt facility.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 20th, 2017, 8:55 am

suffolk wrote:I think my version of Outlook is a bit old and doesn't have the Read Receipt facility.

It's been there for as long as I've used Outlook - about 22 years :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 20th, 2017, 5:50 pm

I had an online conversation with BT today and now I know where to find what I was looking for - it's easy when you know how ;) :tu: For others who may wish to know this little secret, you click on the 'Options' arrow right alongside the 'cc' and 'bcc' arrows ... and then click on the appropriate boxes - Yay :bounce: :lol: :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 20th, 2017, 6:02 pm

StokeySue wrote:
suffolk wrote:I think my version of Outlook is a bit old and doesn't have the Read Receipt facility.

It's been there for as long as I've used Outlook - about 22 years :?

Hmmm ... I can't find it, although we used Outlook at work and I used Read Receipts then .......... I must be looking in the wrong place :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 20th, 2017, 8:12 pm

I have had a day of muttering at the machines
I wanted to download all the photos from my Lumix camera
First, I can't just use the camera as a USB drive since the last updates (took me a while to work this out); I have to use the Lumix software so I had to download the new version
Then the transfer took ages because there were videos on the camera
Then I had to get the Uploadr update to get them to Flickr, that took a while and a couple of reboots
Then I wanted to do a proper hard drive back up, and that required a software update
About six hours of inanity :evil:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 21st, 2017, 7:25 am

Oh Sue, we are going to have the same problem, we keep getting a message that the camera software needs updating after computer updates, but it won't accept thye disk so we will have to find updates online, ours is a lumix camera too. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 21st, 2017, 8:28 am

Mine didn't give me any error messages,but if you open the programme already installed onthe computer it should go off and find it's own update if you say Yes when asked if you want it to do that
Doesn't help that all Panasonic products come with rubbish instructions
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop