Board Rules & Frequently Asked Questions.

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Board Rules & Frequently Asked Questions.

Postby Riocaz » April 1st, 2010, 1:38 pm

Rules:

No harassment, racial, sexual, religious, political, or any other form, in public or private.

No discussion or advertisement of activities which are illegal in the UK (e.g. drug taking and the likes)

No Trolling/flaming/spamming.

Advertising is allowed, but please keep it relevant. If I consider it spam I will remove it. But generally foodie blogs/services/etc will be allowed.

When posting recipes please stick to your variations of a published recipe (Please give attributions, and if possible a link to the original).

If you are a copyright holder and feel your work is being infringed then please get in contact.

When arranging meet-ups and the like please put the date of the meet in the subject line!

FAQ:

How to use the boards functions, reset passwords etc etc:
http://wildfood.info/faq.php

Everything else:

1, Why can't I use private messages?

You have to have been a member and have posted a few times before some functions of the board become available. This is to prevent spammers joining the board and being able to immediately send spam to all and sundry.

2, You said Advertising is allowed, but then said you wanted to keep the board ad free?

Advertising your own (or a friends) site in a relevant way is fine.
Advertising your own (or a friends) site in your "sig" is fine.

What I mean by Ad free, is I want to keep the site without people paying me to advertise on it. I will do so as long as I can, so long as it doesn't impact my hosting service (i.e. so long as it isn't costing me anything beyond what I am already paying). Which given that I use a tiny fraction of my service should be a good long time.

However if you do not contribute to the board (by actually being a part of our community, and post just to advertise a website) you are a spammer, and you will be treated like one. By which I mean, I will complain to your service provider and/or ban you.

3, You said that posting recipes is fine, but then said post links?

Simply put I believe in paying the author for their work. If someone has made their recipes available online (either on their own site or the BBC, or a newspaper site then it makes sense to link to that recipe, if for no other reason than they may be getting paid by advertisements on their site).

If you have a recipe you have modified from theirs, then at least give them credit for the idea and post your variations. Just try whenever possible to follow the rules the professionals have set for themselves:

http://www.gfw.co.uk/page.cfm?MenuGroup ... PageID=107

4, Are any topics banned?

Okay so No one has asked me this yet but in my experience it comes up at some point on every board.

No topics are banned...

However Religion and Politics are always contentious and have a tendency (again In my experience as we've not had this here so-far) to end up public slanging matches. In which instance I will refer those responsible to rule one.

Update 22/12/2010 This isn't a ban, but it's an addition to the "contentious" list.

Discussions of other forums and their management is discouraged. Mainly because, in my opinion it makes us look bad

And to be frank I can't cope with being whinged at by the same people over and over because someone has hurt their feelings by expressing an opinion that differs to their own and is therefore completely wrong***.
***Colour added for those who don't realise this is sarcasm

5,Private messaging, how private is "private?

If I really wanted to I could probably find some way to read your messages as I have access to the database. But please remember I am very very lazy (just ask my boss :D) and frankly you lot aren't that interesting :D. Seriously it's not designed to be an ultra secure system. it's designed for a quick chat. And for myself I will always respect your privacy. If you have something that private to discuss simply do it via email.

Without going out of my way to invade anyone's privacy the only time I have the ability to read a private message is if it has been "reported" to me when it shows up in my "moderation queue" as a report.

6, This person really irritates me, what can I do about it?

Mark them as a "foe" and the board will hide their posts from you unless you click on them.

You do this by clicking the "user control panel" which is 2 links below the logo at the top left of the screen. This will give you a bunch of tabs and "friends and foes" is at the end.

If you feel they are harassing you,either publicly or via private messages, simply click the upside down triangle (with a red exclamation mark) which will flag the offending posts to me and my Moderation team, (when I get round to appointing some). Unlike the BBC board this will not hide the post just flag it for mod attention

Yes I hate the term "foe" too. I wish I could change it but it's hard-coded into the board systems and I can't change it.

7, Why "Wildfood"?

Well the obvious answer really. I registered the domain when I moved out of "London" (albeit about as close to London as you can get without technically being in it) with a view to taking autumnal strolls through the local forests and a bit more interest in game and the likes. And I was given a freebie domain name by my hosting provider.

Then discovered that my commute kills most urge to walk in the evenings, and my weekends are taken up with other things. The domain sat unused.

And I decided to start a blog.

Then over xmas 2009 when we were told the board would be down for 2 weeks I installed a forum (and of course the board didn't close) to let people continue chatting. It was going to close after xmas. But I was asked to keep it alive and as it doesn't cost me anything I don't see the harm.

The domain is a little misleading, but still quite apt I think for foodies who have escaped the confines of other more restrictive sites.

8, Are we allowed to arrange public Meet-ups?

The simple answer is yes.

Though I would always advise anyone meeting up with people they have met from the internet to take basic precautions.

And to quote the very good BBC article on this subject:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/hub/A13601260

• If you are going to the event alone, tell someone exactly where you are going, who you are meeting and what time you expect to get back.
  • Bring a friend or family member if you are under eighteen, or are at all worried about travelling or attending on your own.
  • Make sure that you find out when your last train home leaves, know how long it takes to get to the station and leave in plenty of time to catch it.
  • If you think travelling home might be difficult, arrange some accommodation in advance. Don't come along hoping someone will 'put you up' at the last minute, it's not guaranteed to work, it's not a safe thing to do and it's not fair to expect others to take the risk of taking a stranger like you home with them.
  • Make sure that you know the route to the meet-up points. Either print out a map in advance, or bring along the addresses and a copy of the A-Z street guide of the town you are visiting.
  • Eat! If it is going to be a long day, make sure you have a hearty breakfast or something to eat before you meet up with the rest of the attendees. Take a sandwich or enough money to buy yourself lunch too, especially if you're going to be drinking in the evening.
  • Don't drink alcohol if you are under the age of 18, or ask other to buy it for you!!!

The only guideline is that once a date has been agreed it should be entered into the subject line.

9, Who or what is "google[bot]"/Yahoo[bot] etc etc?

It means google or yahoo's web spider robot is trawling the site for indexing purposes.

10, Advertising this board elsewhere?

Yes you are allowed too. I will never object to something which brings in new members.

However I do request that you not spam other boards with advertisements, and if they have rules about advertising that they are obeyed fully.

11, How do I change my name?

Send me a Private Message or email me.

12, Do I have to put my picture up?

Gawd no. Seriously it's an option, but you neither have to have an avatar and if you choose to, it doesn't have to be you

Why can't I change my email address?

You can. But certain email providers are banned (Hotmail/gmail being the most common ones) from sign-ups and we can't separate new users from old. When we have unbanned these addresses we immediately get an influx of thousands of spammers.
Last edited by Riocaz on January 26th, 2015, 11:41 am, edited 18 times in total.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Reporting posts:

Postby Riocaz » August 16th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Because several people have asked me over the past couple of days I thought a sticky was appropriate.

At the top of every post to the right hand side you should see a red exclamation mark inside a triangle right next to the quote button. Much the same as the BBC's but with the triangle the other way up.

If you click this, and then fill in the report, and hit submit, it will flag the offending post into the moderation queue (and your report), so the Mods will be aware of it and if neccessary can take action.

UNLIKE the BBC board reporting a post will NOT hide it!!!

The same works for PMs. The PM will become visable in the Moderation queue while the report is active. This is the only time a Mod can see a PM which hasn't been sent to them directly.

Feel free to try it, it won't flag anything into the moderation queue, unless you hit submit on the "report this post" page.

Please do NOT report issues to me directly. I can't guarantee I will be about as regularly as I have been before, which is why I appointed Mods in the first place. The only exception to this is if the report concerns a Mod.
Last edited by Riocaz on August 24th, 2010, 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Re: Board Rules & Frequently Asked Questions.

Postby Murphbridge » September 26th, 2010, 9:16 am

What does "WUM" stand for??
Murphbridge

Postby aero280 » September 26th, 2010, 9:45 am

Wind up Merchant/Member
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby mrsmosey » October 23rd, 2010, 7:43 pm

How do I upload a photo of say a dish I have cooked or baked and are we allowed to?
Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars.
mrsmosey
Registered

Postby Rosie » October 23rd, 2010, 8:01 pm

mrsmosey wrote:How do I upload a photo of say a dish I have cooked or baked and are we allowed to?

Don't try to post a picture on the Quick Reply section. Go down to Post A Reply.

Under the reply box you will see "Upload attachment".

Click on that and you will see Filename and then Browse.

Click on Browse and find the picture on your computer, and click Open.

The file name should then appear in the blank box between Filename and Browse.

Click on Add the file and add a comment if you wish.

Click on "Place inline"

and voila - your photo will appear!
Rosie
Registered

Postby mrsmosey » October 24th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Thank so much!!
MM
mrsmosey
Registered

Postby mrsmosey » November 5th, 2010, 9:27 am

In laymens terms , how do I send a private message. It is in my outbox but am now!
mrsmosey
Registered

Postby Riocaz » November 5th, 2010, 10:46 am

it stays in your "outbox" until it has been read by the other party, because up until that point you can edit it.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Oldends » November 19th, 2010, 8:52 pm

How do I make a word or short phrase into a link to particular website?
Oldends
Registered

Postby Riocaz » November 19th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Like this?

Wildfood

Click the url button, then type the phrase you want between the url tags. The type =and the url you want before the right square bracket of the url tag on the right...

Or if that doesnt make sense click quote on this post and you will see how I did it ;)

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Oldends » November 20th, 2010, 8:32 am

Oldends
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » November 20th, 2010, 10:30 pm

And so have I!

Thanks, Oldends - and Lee!
Last edited by Breadandwine on July 16th, 2011, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

New guideline!

Postby Riocaz » May 26th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Festivals/meets/events...

Please can the date be put in the title of the message (In the case of meets this should be once a date has been decided obviously).

Just to make life a bit easier for the mods to move them up to announcements, and to know when they should be dropped back down to normal topics.

Thanks! :D :D

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Re: New guideline!

Postby frenchcheesequeen » May 26th, 2011, 6:49 pm

That makes sense Lee - I have a feeling that I posted something about meeting up in Lowestoft in August but have lost it. Would you please use your superman powers to bring it back into circulation? Thank you.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Luca » May 26th, 2011, 7:04 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3742&p=98363&hilit=lowestoft#p98363

There you go FCQ. You can bounce it back up now.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » May 27th, 2011, 10:43 am

Well Lee, what a dambed good idea, thanks for doing it ;)

Cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 27th, 2011, 3:07 pm

Polishes halo :tutu:

Mine was done right first time! :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby 18kari » May 29th, 2011, 5:17 pm

thank you lee, i know i said thank you to tezza as well, but yes what a good idea! thanks again :hug: :) karen
who is now slowly getting there!
18kari
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2011, 8:33 pm

I notice that my in folder is getting a bit full, how do I delete stuff to reduce the percentage ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Riocaz » July 15th, 2011, 9:05 pm

go into a message and click the X at the top right that will delete it.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby scullion » July 23rd, 2014, 12:14 am

Ah, so that's where it went!
scullion
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop