What are you growing this year ?

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

Re: What are you growing this year ?

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 7:12 am

I now have tomatoes at three different stages! Biggest one is flowering. I ought to pot it on perhaps but not sure that it's sufficiently root bound.Certainly needs feeding.

IMG_9805.JPG

tiddlers

IMG_9809.JPG

I am not sure when to take things out of the heated propogator. The courgettes now, though?

IMG_9808.JPG

I am not very experienced at growing things from seed... (Big tomato it from a garden centre, but it has grown a great deal since I bought it.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 7:13 am

p.s. yes that's mould :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 9:23 am

Can’t see any pics

Tomatoes shouldn’t be fed until the first truss of fruit has set.

Take seedlings out of heated propagator once they’ve germinated and have their ‘seed leaves’. Keep them in good light but not too warm and prick out when they have their first set of seed leaves.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 10:17 am

I usually start feeding when there are flowers, I think, Suffs :o It's getting pale spots on the leaves which I thought might be malnutrition. (Not blight, I assume/hope. I have had markings like this before.)

If I pot it on, it will get more food anyway effectively, in the new compost.

Ok thanks re seedlings. At least two courgettes have their true leaves. I suspect more may have by the end of the day. Would you keep them in a non-heated propagator?

I am going to run out of space...Hmm maybe my bedroom windowsill could be put to use, although the cats do like to sit on it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 11:35 am

I’d pot the courgettes on and keep them on the kitchen windowsill ... it’s where mine go at that stage ... keeping them in a propagator can cause mould/fungal conditions die to too high humidity/condensation.
Later on they’ll go in my equivalent of a coldframe during the day and spend the nights on the dining room table.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 15th, 2019, 1:30 pm

when you pot the courgettes up (and tomatoes) you can pot them deeper than they were in the old pot, they'll grow roots from further up the stem and will be less top heavy and vulnerable.
my courgettes are on the living room window sill.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Thanks, Scully. I think I need to do that with the courgettes.

I picked up some high 'roofed' mini non-electric propagators today, but I'll just leave the on the windowsill.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » April 20th, 2019, 7:43 am

How did the trug construction go Herbi?
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2019, 9:40 am

Well, I’m back to square one

I planted lots of seeds, they all germinated, I was very careful about watering, ventilation, temperature monitoring etc

And they all moulded and died. Definitely mould, I used wooden plant labels and they are furry. I think the problem is that there are just too many mould spores up in my attic, the labels shouldn’t be the source as they are actually. tongue depressors repurposed.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 20th, 2019, 6:15 pm

The trug construction happened today, and by all accounts, went very smoothly... my husband did it :D I am tempted to buy another one. He says he doesn't mind...

It will be filled on Monday, I think. I did about 5 hours in the garden today, and am exhausted (and aching.) Mainly potting on, potting out and pricking out. Oh and a bit of sowing. No digging and minimal cutting...

That's a pity, Sue. Some of mine just withered (some of the chillis.) I wonder if I left them in the propagator too long. Two of my courgettes are ramrod straight, the rest are creeping. Looking at my photo above, they were all vertical to start with. I also have too many...
Last edited by Herbidacious on April 22nd, 2019, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » April 21st, 2019, 10:03 am

i have three courgette plants - that's usually more than enough for us.
yesterday i made a load of paper pots and sowed sugar snap peas, 'cherokee trail of tears' climbing beans, yard long beans, pea beans, stringless runners, and gigantes. i also potted up miscellaneous tomatoes (if we get some with lovely flavour i squeeze seeds into a pot in the kitchen) including a few pots of buffalo horns and seeds from some grown in the walled garden last year,- and a load of a varieties of chillies.
other tomatoes were potted on. i intend to make a dehydrator this year!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 22nd, 2019, 7:17 pm

Just realized that my 'vertical courgettes' are beans. Doh!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I have an artichoke growing on one of my artichoke plants! :bounce:

... although it's a bit early? A bud I didn't notice from last year that's coming out?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 30th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I'm running a bit behind this year but so far tomatoes, cucumbers & courgettes are coming along nicely. Peas, kholrabi & calvo nero have germinated but no sign of any beans yet. My conservatory is looking like a garden centre so I need to get the greenhouse & outdoor tubs sorted out in the next couple of weeks.
Various bedding plants bought as tiny plugs are doing really well and mainly hardened off, just need to get them potted out though set up six hanging baskets yesterday as a start.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2019, 6:49 pm

I'd like a conservatory. My sitting room and kitchen are looking like greenhouses...

I found a bag with the seed I bought and lost a couple of months ago yesterday...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 30th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I'd like a conservatory. My sitting room and kitchen are looking like greenhouses...

I found a bag with the seed I bought and lost a couple of months ago yesterday...

My kitchen and conservatory are one (fairly large) space so the plants do seem to be taking over :lol: :lol:
Last edited by liketocook on April 30th, 2019, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » April 30th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I have an artichoke growing on one of my artichoke plants! :bounce:

... although it's a bit early? A bud I didn't notice from last year that's coming out?

beat you!
mine, that i grew from seed last year, have five on one plant. four of them because of the good weather we had the other week, i think.
one is almost edible size the other four are snooker ball size. the plant is a monster and dwarfs the other three or four plants near it.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 1st, 2019, 7:34 am

Good lord. I bought these as plants last year. They did nothing and are still relatively small, but they are in pots. One didn;t sruvive the winter, but perhaps that's a blessing. Too many plants!

Will post a pic of mine and maybe you could give your opinion. Not sure if it will be edible. It's a bit unfurled.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 1st, 2019, 7:36 am

47747497991_ae010214c0_z.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 2nd, 2019, 1:28 am

hmm, it is a bit 'open' isn't it? i don't know whether i would let it flower (and cut before seeding) or cut it off in a bit and see if the heart was edible and give the plant a chance.
mine are growing straight in the ground plus a layer of (council collection) household waste compost, north facing and in the shade of a building. i'll take a photo.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 3rd, 2019, 8:03 am

My sweet potato plug plants arrived a couple of days ago. Potted up.
Clearly a heated greenhouse (aka kitchen then sitting room) is the way to go for early cropping tomatoes (unless the flavour is affected adversely.)

B41FEC27-E1F5-4A30-917C-2A9D170CD866.jpeg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 3rd, 2019, 5:33 pm

Has anyone put their tomatoes outside yet? I am wondering if I should bring mine back in. Was getting sick of the greenhouse sitting room, though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 3rd, 2019, 5:57 pm

The forecast this morning said there'd be frost over the weekend.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 3rd, 2019, 9:41 pm

:o

4 degrees in the early hours.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 4th, 2019, 6:50 am

I never put tomatoes out until overnight temperatures are reliably above 10C.

Mine are indoors overnight and in the little greenhouse by day ... as are the runner beans, courgettes, morning glories and basil ... theyre going in and out like yo-yos

The direct sown Douce de Provence peas are looking good ... about 6” tall now and the potatoes have appeared and look healthy. Must get out there with the hoe tho.

Beetroot have been a little slow to germinate tho ... I expect a later sowing when the soil has warmed up will do better.
Last edited by suffolk on May 4th, 2019, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 4th, 2019, 7:57 am

I don't know why I am so off kilter with them. Maybe it's because these plants arrived really quite early.

I brought them into the unheated lean to last night and have put them out again this morning. Still only 7 degrees out though, but feels warm in the sun. Bring them back in again? :( But they won't get much sun down the side of the house. I wish I had more room.

Will bring them oin aftere I have finished doing some washing (They have to go on top of the dryer and washing machine.)

I hope the fluctuations in temperature don't harm them.
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 4th, 2019, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 4th, 2019, 7:58 am

suffolk wrote:
Beetroot have been a little slow to germinate tho ... I expect a later sowing when the soil has warmed up will do better.

mine, too. but then i also forgot to give them a soak before planting - and they may also be old seed so i'm not really surprised.

ps. i'm leaving all of my seedlings, sowings and young plants out - no room anywhere else for them!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 4th, 2019, 8:11 am

I've just had to dash out and move the nasturtium and sunflower seedlings and the big canna plant right up against the studio wall ... it's hailing out there ... lots of it ... and it flippin stings!!! If it rips my hosta leaves to shreds I'll be more than a tad annoyed :x
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 4th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Blooming cold here too though our last frost date isn't for a fortnight or so yet so everything hardened off gets sheltered under my covered deck at night.
Most of my toms have been potted on to their "final before planting in the greenhouse" pots so my conservatory is over run with plants & seedlings. Despite attempting to cut back this year I still seem to have 46 tomato plants :o , in fairness though with such a short growing season the yield is less so I need more to get a decent crop ;) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 5th, 2019, 8:55 am

I brought things in in the end.

I am wondering what to do with plug and bare root strawberry plants that arrived this week. They are currently in a most environment on my windowsill. Should I pot them on and keep them indoors, pot them on and harden off and put out or harden off and then put straight out?

I bought a book called Crops in Tight Spots, which sounds like a book about suburban London sartorial tendencies, but is actually about gardening in tiny spaces. I have a large garden, but not much soil to play with. Anyway it's quite inspiring. e.g. suggestions for growing things down shady side alleys, interesting ideas for plants, no dig approach and also unusual ideas for planters. I am now tempted to get a cocktail kiwi. I was thinking of putting it down the side at the bottom. If the bottom floods, the sides are a little elevated. I could put it in a little raised bed of it's own (possibly a pot with the bottom knocked out.) I'd have to dig out some irises and turf...

Meanwhile at least one of the dahlias I planted seems to be coming up, and even some of the ancient anemones (possibly...). Need to find the new lot I bought :o

Also need to finish pulling up blubs and putting them somewhere to dry.

Back to frost, should I put fleece on my fig plants, which have young leaves on them? An air frost made them all drop off last year. (So no figs.)
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 5th, 2019, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 5th, 2019, 9:16 am

The strawberry plugs ... I’d pot them up ... harden them off for a couple of weeks and then plant them out.
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 5th, 2019, 9:20 am

I’m crossing my fingers and hoping for the best with my fig ... it’s got a promising crop of small overwintered fruits and I’m very hopeful of warm figs for breakfast on the terrace this summer ... it’s in a pretty sheltered corner so I don’t think it’ll get frosted now.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 6th, 2019, 8:32 am

i thought i'd posted this yesterday but must have hit preview and forgotten to hit submit - durr.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c9c.jpg

we shared the larger one (in the middle of the plant) with dinner the other night it may look small in the picture but it was about five inches in diameter - bigger than my fist, anyway.
the three that you can see will soon be large enough to eat and there are three more of golf ball size hiding in leaf axils, the leaves are three to four feet long and it stands about four feet high. i may have to move the smaller artichoke plants that are growing in its shadow now.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 6th, 2019, 9:16 pm

I am a little envious. I didn't feed mine enough last year, but hopefully that can be redressed this year?

I went out to pot up the strawberry plug plants and ended up also potting up the bare rooters (not looking healthy), potting on the twocherry 'bushes', some flowering plants (forgotten what they are!) the sweet peas, a load of black kale and a couple of rosemary cutting plants, as well aswatering things. Strawberries and kale went into the unheated lean to.

I have still not sown peas. The metal frame and felt trug I bought for the peas, seems to be being used by me as a potting up 'bench'! Maybe I should get a wooden version specifically for this purpose.

Might order another metal/felt veg trug.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 13th, 2019, 6:02 pm

I have tidied my containers
I have thrown out the disappointing tulips, scrubbed pots, moved things around, potted up some marigolds from the supermarket for some quick colour, repotted my winter savory - it turned out it was miserable because pot bound, so it should be happier now it has some wiggle room. I have sowed 5 kinds of basil (1 bought a selection pack), chervil, and summer savory. I’ve moved things around so that all the things that like hot dry conditions are in the same trays, and all the things that like damp shade are grouped etc.

I’m hoping tomorrow is hot as promised, to get the seeds off to a good start

And I have a question. When woul you expect dahlias to start shooting outside? I thought the one I’d left in a pot has died but when I cautiously tipped it it the cluster of tubers looks very healthy - just no sign of a shoot anywhere.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 13th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I planted three - will have to check when but I would guess 6 weeks ago - and two of them are sprouting. They have been outside from the start. Foolishly I didn't label them so I don't know which are are which.
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 13th, 2019, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 13th, 2019, 6:13 pm

They went in on April 21st.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 17th, 2019, 4:44 pm

A few plants arrived this week, some of them ordered some months ago. Unfortuately they went to the office, and although lovely husband ( :) ) went in to get them, the 5 plug tomatoes didn't sruvive (I suspect they were sent on Friday, and he picked htem up on Tuesday.) Still £6.95 down the drain isn't the end of the world. More excitingly, today's second trip to the office yielded a 'cocktail' kiwi plant (in full flower, so maybe I will get fruit if the trauma of being posted wasn't too great) two new autumn fruiting raspberries (three bare rooters I put in last year didn't make it so there was a gap) and 5 inca berry plug plants.

I thought about growing the inca berries from seed, but apparently they are hard to germinate and it takes a long time. Maybe next year. I hope I can set something up top prolong theirr growing season this year, as they will fruit until Christmas if it's not too cold. Not sure if the poly tunnel/plastic greenhouse plan is going to come to fruition or not. We shall see...

Anyway I am quite :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Not really well enough to do much gardening at the mo, other than potting up plug plants, and the patio is getting annoyingly cluttered, but hopefullly soon I can get really stuck in. And I will sow peas this Sunday!

I have put the bleached leafed tomato plant out the front now just in case it it diseased. Mustn't forget about it.

Ho are you sweet potatoes doing, Scully?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 18th, 2019, 12:17 am

pathetically.
they are sat out in one of my makeshift cold frames (in which basil has germinated and is growing so it can't be that bad out there) but haven't done anything since they came out of the propagator. if anything they've gone backwards. i'll have to work out why - maybe i'll try starting them earlier next year, let the slips get bigger before i take them off the 'mother' or work out if the potting compost/watering etc needs changing or whether i put them straight in the ground and let the bu@@ers get on with it.
i need to prep some ground (ie take out the brambles and other pernicious stuff, add a load of leaf mould and the contents of one of the worm bins) over the next couple of days to put a load of bean and pea plants in. the roots are coming out of the bottoms of the paper pots.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 19th, 2019, 9:27 am

Hmm my sweet potatoes have an aphid infestation. I really want to put them outside. Too early?

Also just noticed that courgettes grown from seed have split stems, so I guess they won't survive.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 20th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Herbi, as long as they can still take up water they should be okay. I patch up split stems on toms/courgettes with a splint made from a plant label and masking tape or sticking plaster. They are usually fine.
Finally have my greenhouse mainly set up and the cordon toms are in place. Everything else is still in conservatory and I really need to get my finger out and get stuff hardened off for outside or into the greenhouse. My courgettes desperately need re-potted and I notice one of them today has the start of two fruits :) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 20th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Oh. I chucked one away... :o I have to say it did look fine, and I had rather assumed that it had only just happened and the leaves hadn't realized it. Will try mending the rest then.
It's all much easier just buying small plants... ;)

I need to do some serious gardening at the weekend. Weeding, as well as tidying the potted things, potting on, planting out... I realize I don't usually do any weeding, leaving it to the gardeners. I hope I am up to it physically by then.

A cocktail kiwi arrived last week. I think I might take a shrub out, and put it there. Not sure what the shrub is, but it doesn't do much. I might post a pic...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 20th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Oh. I chucked one away... :o I have to say it did look fine, and I had rather assumed that it had only just happened and the leaves hadn't realized it. Will try mending the rest then.
It's all much easier just buying small plants... ;)

I need to do some serious gardening at the weekend. Weeding, as well as tidying the potted things, potting on, planting out... I realize I don't usually do any weeding, leaving it to the gardeners. I hope I am up to it physically by then.

A cocktail kiwi arrived last week. I think I might take a shrub out, and put it there. Not sure what the shrub is, but it doesn't do much. I might post a pic...

I never give up until they literally keel over and shrivel- even then I'll give them a feed a stern talking too .... :lol: :lol:
I find from-seed grown plants tend to be a bit hardier than bought and do better at recovering from growing problems.
That said I did ditch a tomato seedling that point blankly refused to go beyond the two leaf stage, mind you it was growing two huge leaves as I left it to it for a few weeks just nothing else ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 20th, 2019, 9:15 pm

One of the reasons I don’t like growing from seed is because I find it terribly hard to throw any seedlings or young plants away. Which is a problem when they all come up! I have lots of young tomato plants but am also expecting a largish delivery at some point from an online shop (where are they?!) I have too many. Will offer some to people, but few of my friends have gardens. Plus theses are a purple variety which may not be great. Indigo something.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 21st, 2019, 8:39 am

Propably Indigo Rose, I'm growing a couple of those. I really like them.
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » May 21st, 2019, 8:42 am

if it was otherwise healthy and if the split was wet you could have dusted it with a bit of cinnamon. if it was dry, just repot in a deeper layer of soil/compost. it would produce leaves further up. you could also have tried chopping the top part off and seen if it would've rooted in water.

i rescued a massive plant from being sent to the dump yesterday and re-homed it at a friend's. it had been living under the stairs in an office block and they thought it looked in poor shape. to my mind it looked really health and was just displaying a normal progress of younger to older leaves. it will be very happy in its new home though and i've asked for a split in a few months time.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 21st, 2019, 9:15 am

I feel very guilty now for committing courgetticide. At least I didn't chuck the others. They are Defenders (mildew resistant) so I am keen to grow them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 21st, 2019, 3:14 pm

Potatoes earthed up
Courgettes planted out (under poly cloche)
Teepee erected and beans planted out
Broadbeans almost ready to pick.
Gooseberry bush filling up with fruit
More rhubarb than you can shake a stick at
Pear espalier has lots of little fruit and so do the blueberries.
Love this time of year :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 21st, 2019, 3:27 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I feel very guilty now for committing courgetticide.

don't. a slug/snail has done that to two of my three. if i find it i'm going to commit slugicide.
i'm now going to sow a few more so they can have seconds.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 21st, 2019, 3:37 pm

:)
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Garden