Flirting with seitan

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: Flirting with seitan

Postby Breadandwine » August 13th, 2010, 10:35 am

Monnikka wrote:Sometimes this has to be 'arranged'
I'm with Monnikka - I vary rarely make a meal just for one. I generally make a big pot of whatever, then ring the changes over the next day or two.

Even the cutlets I made were for two meals - but my daughter snaffled a couple of them!

(BTW, Liz, nothing personal, but I hope you'll be drowning your sorrows tomorrow night! :D )

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby smitch » August 13th, 2010, 10:53 am

Paulthebread wrote:(BTW, Liz, nothing personal, but I hope you'll be drowning your sorrows tomorrow night! )

:lol: so do I but after our poor show in pre-season I am not too hopeful! I thought we played well last time Everton came to Ewood but still lost but I am so excited the new season is about to start- have missed it so much.

Back to seitan though- I have never tried it maybe I should give it a go sometime. I did buy a tin of 'vegetarian curry chicken' last time I went to the giant Tesco in Hull from the Chinese section of the 'world food' aisle. Not sure if this will be similar and I can't remember what's in it either- blame the cocktails I had last night :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 13th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Has anyone tried the 'mock duck' made by Granose and sold in H&B? I saw it last week for the first time and picked up a can.......and put it straight back down again. I'm just so put off by the name :oops:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby smitch » August 13th, 2010, 1:27 pm

No I haven't but I have been intrigued (sp?) by that for a while. In the same range in Tesco they also had 'peking style duck' in a tin but I decided not to get that too in case I didn't like the 'chicken' and was lumbered with something I didn't want. Maybe when I feel brave I will take the plunge!
smitch
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 13th, 2010, 2:30 pm

I had a look at the tin of mock duck and it's definitely seitan. I don't know about the Peking-style duck........
Monnikka
Registered

Postby efcliz » August 16th, 2010, 11:27 am

Boo to all you Blackburn fans. We were bloody awful.

Monnika - you will enjoy Viva Vegan I'm sure. Some recipes do need unusual ingredients. I did some food parcel swaps with people in America to get them, but there are plenty that don't.
efcliz
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 16th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Hi Liz,

I got the book on Saturday and have been having a good look! Most dishes I've never heard of and as for the ingredients :shock: :scared: :roll: :P

I have been having a think and am sure I can improvise on some and am willing to have a go. OH is already slavering :hungry:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby efcliz » August 16th, 2010, 1:48 pm

I tested about 80 recipes so let me know what you're thinking of doing. You can get some of the weird things from Mexgrocer online.
efcliz
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 16th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Well, I'll start off with the red and white seitan - looks straightforward enough. I also want to make the chorizo and some of the dishes including it....the bean dishes look delish....empanadas! Now there's a thought.

Thanks for the Mexgrocer tip.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby efcliz » August 16th, 2010, 2:53 pm

The chorizo is lovely!!!!!
efcliz
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 22nd, 2010, 1:56 pm

Made a batch of seitan yesterday, using spicy lentils (in a bit of a rut, I think!).

I boiled 250g red lentils with 2 tsps of stock powder, good splash of mushroom sauce, a hefty sprinkle of mixed herbs and 2 dessertspoons hot curry paste (Ferns).

Once cooked I added about 200g of gluten powder and mixed into a dough, which weighed just over 800g.

I divided it into 4 and made a large cutlet out of one of the pieces - pressed it out thinly and fried for about 6 minutes each side, for my dinner - along with some spicy potato wedges.

Another quarter I've got in the fridge ATM. I'll probably cut that into chunks to have with a chilli non carne later in the week.

The other two pieces I made into sausages which I steamed for 30 minutes. I've posted a couple of pics on the current sausage thread that's running:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1277&p=30799#p30783

I haven't told them that they're vegan - although most posters will realise they are! :lol:

Cheers, Paul
Last edited by Breadandwine on August 22nd, 2010, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Monnikka » August 22nd, 2010, 2:27 pm

Sound's good, Paul. Where do you get Fern's condiments etc?

I made some Viva Vegan red steamed seitan yesterday and formed into 4 'bricks'. I used one today, sliced and slipped into the Mushroom Paprikash recommended by Ian. I served it with a rice and puy lentil dish and it was all very tasty.

http://londonfooddrinkbloggers.ning.com ... -hungarian

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Puy_Lentils_and_Rice

Still a little worried by the texture of seitan, though! :lol:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » August 22nd, 2010, 2:41 pm

Mmm! Two nice recipes there, thanks Monnikka!

I keep meaning to make the two sausage recipes you gave me. I was in a hurry yesterday, so lentils were ideal.

I'll get around to yours soon.

I get Fern's curry pastes from my local HFS, they're very good. I've no problem with Patak's, but they're becoming quite dominant - and I like to support my HFS.

I don't have the VV book - and it looks a little too deep for me. I've only ever made a few of the recipes from Veganomicon, so far.

Cheers, Paul
Last edited by Breadandwine on August 22nd, 2010, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » January 21st, 2011, 9:29 pm

I ordered some gluten powder tonight (vital wheat gluten) from the Low Carb Store.

I’ve been trying to get my local HFS to get some in, but Queenswood Foods, which are apparently the only bulk supplier, only stock organic gluten powder, which would have cost me in excess of £7 a kilo!

By ordering 4kg from the LCS I brought the price down to roughly £4.20 a kilo.

Here’s a couple of threads about seitan that will give those interested some useful info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/F267047 ... 4&show=100

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/F267047 ... 3&show=100

Both of these threads are now closed, which I find particularly annoying since the info on these threads is OUR info!

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Monnikka » January 22nd, 2011, 2:48 pm

Thanks for the links to those posts. I remember the one when you were challenged to make your own sausages by Liz.

This website has a few promising recipes using seitan. I haven't made any of them yet but keep promising myself. I have 3/4 of a bag of gluten left from the last purchase.......

http://www.seitangourmet.it/pietanze-e.asp
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » February 28th, 2011, 10:10 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to treat seitan is to fry it - certainly that's how I've got my best results.

Tried boiling/baking/steaming - not as good as frying, IMO!

I've put my latest thinking on my blog:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/2 ... sages.html

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby tezza » March 4th, 2011, 7:43 am

My gluten flour arrived yesterday! :bounce: They tried to deliver Wednesday but we were out, left with a neighbour second time around.

Guess what I will be doing this weekend. :chef: :D

Thanks again for the prompt Paul. I will report back with my results. :)
tezza
Registered

Postby Monnikka » March 4th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Good luck tezza! Very soon you be doing your own thing :D
Monnikka
Registered

Postby tezza » March 5th, 2011, 9:28 am

Woken up quite early this morning by four hungry cats I thought 'I know, I'll go to the kitchen and have my first seitan flirt!' :bounce:

So I read the posts on here and watched some sausages being made on a video, and remembered the leftovers from last night's Mexican feast. Refried beans, chopped avocado, salsa, chopped jalapenos and sauteed mushrooms, onions and peppers. Made sure it was all chopped up small, mixed in some soy sauce, olive oil, pepper and hot chilli sauce then added a combination of the gluten flour and some nutritional yeast flakes. Shaped into four sausages using sheets of foil and they are now steaming for half an hour or so.

Not sure if they will work but they smelled damn good as I was shaping them so no reason why they won't taste good too! I think I got the texture of the dough right, and worked pretty much to a ratio of one part flour to two parts wet ingredients.

By about 10am I hope to be nibbling on one with a side serving of grilled tomatoes. :chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » March 5th, 2011, 10:22 am

Mmmmmmmm! Yummmmmmy! :chops: :chops: :chops: :bounce:

So eager was I to try I missed out the tomatoes and sploshed some homemade brown sauce on the side instead.

I can see I am going to have some fun with this new ingredient. The flavour combinations are going to be endless!

Thanks for the inspiration folks! :hug: :D
tezza
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » March 5th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Hi tezza

Glad you're up and running with seitan!

Try the cutlets next time - they only take about 30 minutes from having the idea to serving up.

(One for JO, perhaps!) :lol:

You'll soon start inventing your own variations - look forward to hearing about them!

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby tezza » March 6th, 2011, 8:55 am

Morning Paul

Already I have been rooting through the storecupboard searching for other seitan variation ingredients. I am wondering about blitzing a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce with some other flavourings and making a Mexican style cutlet or two for dinner. I really do want to try the cutlets too, rather than the steamed sausages, nice as they were I think they were lacking in texture.

I'll let you know how I get on!

:D
tezza
Registered

Postby Monnikka » March 9th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Today I bought a tin of Peking vegetarian mock duck :shock: from Tesco. I intend to use it at the weekend :terrified: but not sure how!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby smitch » March 9th, 2011, 2:50 pm

I've had that tin I think. I made a stir-fry type thing with some rice, whatever veggies I had in the fridge (maybe mushroom, peppers and baby corn- can't remember though) and some Nasi Goreng paste I got from the same aisle in Tesco. When the rice and veg were almost done, I added the sliced 'duck' and heated it through. Was quite tasty and a very quick meal!
smitch
Registered

Postby Monnikka » March 9th, 2011, 6:46 pm

smitch wrote:I've had that tin I think. I made a stir-fry type thing with some rice, whatever veggies I had in the fridge (maybe mushroom, peppers and baby corn- can't remember though) and some Nasi Goreng paste I got from the same aisle in Tesco. When the rice and veg were almost done, I added the sliced 'duck' and heated it through. Was quite tasty and a very quick meal!

I think that is just about the only type of thing I could do with it. Although it says 'roast' duck, I can't quite imagine it with roast potatoes and sprouts :D
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » March 9th, 2011, 11:31 pm

More seitan today - made two cutlets and have 300g in the fridge for a future chilli non carne or two.

I've put a detailed account on my blog of measurements and additives. Still not 100% spot on with the seasoning - although I'm getting there. I was pretty pleased with today's efforts.

Found myself snipping bits off the cutlets whilst frying my curried wedges ;) . Scissors come in very handy here!

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby tezza » March 10th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Can I freeze seitan?

Inspired by the tasty leftover chilli I had in a bowl in the fridge and a tin of pease pudding, when I got in from work I turned the two into a slurry (as Paul calls it :D) then added the flour, some nutritional yeast flakes, a splash of soy, some more chilli sauce and some olive oil and water to slacken, and then made into 8 nice sized cutlets. Four I will fry tonight. Two will be eaten for tea with a cabbage side dish, the other two I will take into work tomorrow to have cold in sandwiches, might even try and tempt colleagues to taste them.

I don't know whether to store the remaining four in the fridge or if they will freeze well?

Also, has anyone been successful barbequeing seitan cutlets in the garden? I am thinking ahead here to the summer months. :chef: :bounce:

Will pop back later with results on how the cutlets tasted.
tezza
Registered

Postby smitch » March 10th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Monnikka wrote:
smitch wrote:I've had that tin I think. I made a stir-fry type thing with some rice, whatever veggies I had in the fridge (maybe mushroom, peppers and baby corn- can't remember though) and some Nasi Goreng paste I got from the same aisle in Tesco. When the rice and veg were almost done, I added the sliced 'duck' and heated it through. Was quite tasty and a very quick meal!

I think that is just about the only type of thing I could do with it. Although it says 'roast' duck, I can't quite imagine it with roast potatoes and sprouts :D

From memory the 'duck' was in various sized chunks inside the tin. I chopped them up as they were too large for the meal I had planned. As I cook for 1 I had the leftovers cold for my lunch the next day and it was still quite good.

I really can't imagine it with a roast dinner either :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » March 10th, 2011, 10:10 pm

how strange! i bought a tin of that on tuesday - first time i'd noticed it (after making a load of seitan sausages on monday evening) - haven't opened the tin yet.
scullion
Registered

Postby tezza » March 12th, 2011, 7:06 pm

My seitan experiment a couple of nights ago was quite tasty. I had reheated leftovers last night, and the remaining seitan I have gone a bit experimental with again this evening. First of all squished the patties into long kebab shapes and fried. Added sliced mushrooms and cooked that off for a bit. Found some homemade curry sauce in the fridge, threw that in with some broccoli & cauli florets, that's been simmering for about 10 minutes. I have a handful of fresh coriander chopped up ready to go in at the end and a splash of Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce (£3 from Asda today - bargain!! :D) if things need spicing up.

A bit of a crazy combination but I am confident it will be tasty with some spicy potato wedges that are cooking in the oven. :chops:

Paul and Monnikka - you were both right, once you start playing with seitan you just can't stop! I feel like a chilld being let loose with a new toy! :bounce: :D :chef: :scared: :lol: :hungry:
tezza
Registered

Postby Monnikka » March 13th, 2011, 7:57 am

tezza wrote:Can I freeze seitan?
I don't know whether to store the remaining four in the fridge or if they will freeze well?
Will pop back later with results on how the cutlets tasted.

Yes, tezza, seitan freezes very will but it will also keep well for several days in the fridge if well wrapped.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby scullion » March 13th, 2011, 12:42 pm

just as a matter of interest, the freezer bags from lidl are actually boil resistant as well. i seal, with a bag sealer, my seitan sausages into strips of the bags before steaming so that they are totally sealed - and hopefully sterile at the end of cooking. i haven't been able to test as yet how long they last like this!
scullion
Registered

Postby Monnikka » March 14th, 2011, 7:49 am

On Saturday I used half my tin of Peking duck. I was immediately disconcerted by the sight of 'skin', complete with regular dimples :shock: Trying to ignore them I cut up the duck into smaller pieces and reheated it in an onion and mushroom gravy. It was very acceptable served with mashed potato and braised cabbage.

Today I will use the rest of the tin in a curry together with leftover odds and ends of vegetables from the bottom of the fridge.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby smitch » March 14th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Monnikka wrote:On Saturday I used half my tin of Peking duck. I was immediately disconcerted by the sight of 'skin', complete with regular dimples :shock:

:lol: sorry I forgot to mention that part. It freaked me out a bit too when I saw that for the first time! I like your idea of serving it with mash though. I just bought another tin so might give it ago...then again I have some random bits of veg lurking in the fridge and I do quite fancy noodles today...
smitch
Registered

Postby tezza » March 16th, 2011, 8:14 pm

This evening, faced with a bowl of leftover mushroom & sherry sauce, mashed potato and broccoli from last night's seitan meal, I decided to blitz the sauce, spud & broccoli, add some extra seasoning and a splash of soy sauce, mix with some nutritional yeast and gluten flour to form a dough, and then I rolled the dough into sausage shapes in foil and steamed for 40 minutes. Added some broccoli to the steamer for a bit and made a fresh batch of the mushroom & sherry sauce. Served one of the sausages sliced up alongside the broccoli and smothered in the sauce. The sausages had a great texture and taste and I felt no need for carbs. :chops:

I have three of the steamed sausages leftover in the fridge and think I will fry off the next one prior to serving to see if texture improves.
tezza
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » March 16th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Sounds good, tezza!

I made a chilli non carne yesterday, which needed freshening up. So I added onion and other veg, red kidney beans and I chopped up a seitan cutlet that I had in the freezer.

Previously I've only used sautéed chunks of seitan, which have been fine - but the seitan cutlet had an even better texture. Since shaping and frying cutlets is easier than chopping up chunks of seitan and then sautéeing them, I'll do that from now on.

I've still got 150g of seitan in the fridge - it's a week today since I made it, but this stuff keeps for ages - and I'm thinking of chopping it up finely and using it in a ragu sauce.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby tezza » June 10th, 2011, 6:51 pm

My gluten flour got an outing this evening. This is probably going to sound weird but here goes.

I had some leftover minted mushy peas from last night's dinner and today's lunch that I just couldn't face binning because it was so damn tasty, so I blitzed them with a jar of artichokes, minus their oil. Then I chopped into very small dice a red onion, four mushrooms, a yellow pepper and half a head of broccoli. Sauteed off with some garlic and chopped chilli then mixed the veg into my pea and artichoke slurry. S & P followed. Added some of the flour and kneaded, then I realised I needed more liquid so added this in the form of chilli sauce and soy.and then shaped into burgers. I made six but have fried off two and the other four I will keep in the fridge.

They are now keeping warm in the oven while OH picks up some chips from our local chippy and I will serve in buns with some salad.

I am hoping for a firm and chewy texture from the burgers with a crunch from the veggies. Will report back later once devoured (or not devoured as the case may be if they taste naff).
tezza
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 5th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Tried a new version of seitan for dinner tonight - after looking at the vegan cheese thread.

I thought I'd base it mainly on nutritional yeast (nooch):

Ingredients:
100g Water
6g Bouillon powder
6g 'Free from' cheese sauce powder
20g Nooch
10g Mushroom sauce
70g Vital wheat gluten

I had to do a bit of fiddling with this - I started out with 60g of gluten powder, but that wasn't enough, so I added 10g more and also included the mushroom sauce. I tasted it several times during the mixing - the trick, as I've found it, is to get sufficient flavour in to the mix to counteract the blandness of the gluten powder.

I kneaded the dough for a minute or so, then pressed it out into a 'cutlet' shape. I've just given it 7 minutes each side in the frying pan and it tastes pretty good - perhaps a little salty? But with the spicy potato wedges and the spicy tomato sauce I'll be having it with, I doubt I'll notice that.

Overall I'm very pleased with it. Up to now I've always used the leftovers of a made up meal - lentil curry or bolognaise sauce, either mashed or blended - but if you haven't got this, then the 'nooch' cutlet is very acceptable.

Cheers, Paul

Ps. Tezza, you never did report back on your mushy peas seitan??
Last edited by Breadandwine on September 5th, 2011, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 5th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Well, I enjoyed the cutlet - but found the texture to be a bit, well, too even. it's hard to describe, but a bit more 'roughage' would have improved it somewhat, I feel. It was tasty enough, but could be improved.

Next time I'll mash in some kidney beans from the freezer.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby tezza » September 6th, 2011, 7:40 am

Your cutlets sound rather delicious Paul. In fact, you have just reminded me that I still have a bag and a half tucked away in the back of our dry foods cupboard. I need to spend more time practising, because.......

Paulthebread wrote:Ps. Tezza, you never did report back on your mushy peas seitan??

.......the mushy peas seitan was absolutely revolting. Part of the reason for not reporting back I suppose is I was a little bit embarrassed. They weren't just revolting they were down right wrong! :oops: Oh well, you live and learn! :tu:
tezza
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 7th, 2011, 7:03 pm

No need to be embarrassed, Tezza, you'd never have known if you hadn't tried it. :)

Made a chili non carne tonight with some chunks of seitan I found in the freezer. No idea how long they'd been in there, or which batch they belonged to - but the meal was gorgeous, just the same.

I've just realised it would be a good idea to keep a bag of seitan chunks in the freezer - along with the frozen kidney beans. Next time I make seitan I'll make up a large batch.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby tezza » October 9th, 2011, 12:14 pm

A Sunday seitan experiment this afternoon, using up some of the soup that I made last night.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5102

I knew I wouldn't be able to freeze all of it, and not wanting to waste any I mixed it all up with gluten flour. Unfortunately I didn't have quite as much gluten flour as I thought I did to be able to make a stiffish dough, so dug out some soya flour and mixed that in as a binder too. I added some soy sauce to season and then rolled the mix into sausage shapes in foil. They wouldn't all fit in my steamer, so six are steaming, two are baking, and the remaining mix I have splodged into a Pyrex dish brushed with oil. I have set the timer to 20 minutes. Goodness knows what the end results will be. I will report back! :D
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » October 9th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Just noticed that the sausages in the steamer had swelled up so large they were pushing the lid of the steamer off!

So re-jigging things, that's four in the steamer, four baking, and the Pyrex dish blob. All smells very nice. Not quite so sure how they will taste. Hoping one or two will be good with roasties, sprouts, carrot/swede mash and gravy later.

:drool:
tezza
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 9th, 2011, 1:02 pm

I'm sure they'll be very tasty, tezza! Just the job as part of a roast dinner.

Looking forward to hearing how they went down :tu:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby tezza » October 9th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Just had a scoop of the Pyrex dish baked batch with some brown sauce dolloped on the side for lunch. The outside edges of it which had a bit of crunch were delicious, the middle was a bit 'puddingy'. Should have used a wider dish to obtain a thinner bake. Tasty throughout though. I reckon the thinner rolled out sausagey ones will have a better texture. Can't wait to get that gravy flowing over them later! :hungry:
tezza
Registered

Next

Return to The Veggie Place