Trust me....

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Trust me....

Postby Hope » February 16th, 2018, 2:46 pm

This week's episode, about the spinach, beetroot etc nitrates - does it have to be raw? Did they tell us doseage?
Hope
Registered

Re: Trust me....

Postby earthmaiden » February 16th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Sorry to be dim, the only programme called Trust Me I can find is a drama .. could you elaborate?

I hope they're not saying we can't have raw spinach or beetroot - I prefer both raw.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » February 16th, 2018, 5:06 pm

No, it's "trust me I'm a doctor".

DIdn't explain well because of fatigue. They said nitrates (nitrites?) in spinach and beetroot help brain function, but I'm not sure if it has to be eaten raw (as they did in the programme). Or how much you need. Brain function not very good right now!
Hope
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 16th, 2018, 5:18 pm

They only tested salad leaves and beetroot juice, against a salad containing no nitrates:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... n-and-body
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Hope » February 16th, 2018, 5:28 pm

I was wondering if nitrates were still present in cooked spinach and beetroot. (I can't eat them raw)
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 16th, 2018, 6:16 pm

I would guess (definitely nitrate not nitrate) ther would stiil be a fair bit in cooked veg as I can't see where it would go unless you boiled it and discarded the water

But they didn't say

Is it just me finds them increasingly superficial? Are they perhaps running out of topics on which they have in-depyh information and just skimming the headlines? I've found this series quite irritating, starting with the very 'lite' feature on Raynaud's disease
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 16th, 2018, 6:23 pm

I love spinach and beetroot, cooked and raw! I'm not sure how nitrates work, even what they are (I'll read that link to educate myself) I just figure if a healthy foodstuff is appealing then get it down ya!

I was looking through some soup recipes earlier and raw spinach and raw beetroot both featured. I really fancy doing a spinach soup tomorrow with spices and yoghurt. If I can remember where I saw the recipe I'll post it for you. My mum got me some baby leaves a couple of days ago and would rather 'do' something with them than nibble them straight out of the bag like a nibbling horse! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 16th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Hope wrote:No, it's "trust me I'm a doctor".

Doh :idea: - sorry, I had forgotten about that programme!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » February 16th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Thanks Sue. I do find I often have questions after! And they didn't say how much you need to eat.

They do seem to be rather scraping the barrel, but I still watch in the hope of finding some little things that help.

I've been diagnosed with raynauds since watching that episode. I thought I didn't have it because my hands don't go blue, but the pain I get from touching cold things or having cold hands, my GP says that's what it is. (No treatment, just wearing gloves more!)
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 16th, 2018, 7:01 pm

I have classic Raynaud's, as did my mother
One of the many things they didn't say was that there's a large inherited component, although there is also acquired Raynaud's syndrome, caused for example by using pneumatic drills
The classic version does tend to improve as you get older, your blood vessels just can't shut down so hard
I had a lecturer years ago who was a leading authority on the disease. His advice was not to lose my gloves, as each attack damages the blood vessels just a liitle more, and sets them up for the next one
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 16th, 2018, 7:10 pm

I was annoyed by the coverage of Raynaud's too, as the introductory segment implied that there was a new treatment available (not just a new way of showing its affect on the body). I watched because my daughter has it, and was disappointed to just hear them bring out all the standard advice about always wearing gloves and so on.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Hope » February 16th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Oh I didn't realise each attack makes it worse. It is apparently very common in people who have connective tissue disorders, like me!

Putting the washing out can sometimes trigger it for me. Haven't worked out a way to do that and keep my hands warm!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 17th, 2018, 7:39 am

I also have Raynaud's phenomenon, very annoying when I am out all day birdwatching for example, or on a long walk in the cold. Mine is probably a drug side effect to one of my medication. For information, this is not bad; http://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/encyc ... phenomenon

Wearing a glove liner or a thinner glove inside a very warm glove like the skiers do, helps. I also put hand warmers inside each outer glove (or inside my pockets), so I can warm my fingers quickly when I finish doing whatever I am doing. It is difficult to manipulate fine things, like manipulating binocular focus control, with heavily gloved fingers.
Two layers of socks are also very helpful, especially if your outer later is something like skiers use. I have a couple of pairs I bought at an army shop in Laddakh, in India, the kind Indian army soldiers wear when they are out and about in the frozen Himalaya s . They are very warm, never need to wear another pair with them them.
I agree about the standard of Trust me... Going down. It has got a bit boring.
Take care of your Raynaud's :hug:
Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » February 17th, 2018, 8:04 am

Thanks for the tips Mamta.
Hope
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 17th, 2018, 10:08 am

A good friend of mine suffers too, she was always a vegetarian and ate a lot of dairy, last year she went Vegan, and this year her condition is very much better. Not offering that as advice, just thought I would throw it in to the mix. :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Hope » February 17th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Oh that's weird Chinch! (no way could I be a vegan, though, diet is already far too limited!)
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 17th, 2018, 6:27 pm

The change could also be due simply to age, got a lot better for me as I got older

Random tips from me
- If your feet suffer, keep you ankles covered, the current fashion for slipper boots is :tu:

-Beware running cold taps, let water run warm before you stick your hands in it, it's too easy to "just get on with it". I even rinse my toothbrush in warm water, so I don't chill my hands
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » February 17th, 2018, 7:11 pm

I'm now using the warm tap to wash my hands. I feel like it's got worse as i've aged, but more likely I've become more aware. I always wear two pairs of socks (or currently thick thermal tights and thermal socks!) wear gloves outside, and I have some fingers glove things I wear at home (can tuck my fingers away when I get too cold!) But mostly learnt through discovery rather than since being diagnosed! Also getting stuff out of the freezer using oven gloves!
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » February 17th, 2018, 7:13 pm

(and slippers at home)
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 17th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Hope wrote:Also getting stuff out of the freezer using oven gloves!

:tu: :tu:
My teacher said he swore that the (relatively rare) men who were predisposed to Raynaud's were also genetically inclined to work at Billingsgate fish market, handling ice for six hours a day :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to TV and Radio