Scones: how to you make yours?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Scones: how to you make yours?

Postby 4dogsagain » September 29th, 2012, 5:22 pm

I make my scone the traditional way: flour, bp, salt, butter and milk.
I have a friend who makes them a rather peculiar way. She adds eggs and oil (no butter) and sugar. I must confess that I am none too fond of them.
Today I took scones (28 of them) to a fete held at the old folks home, as our church was doing teas. As usual, we do scones with jam and cream.
When I went to get my tea and scones, one of the servers was eating a scone.
"You must try these," she said. "These are the best scones I have ever tasted." She was eating one of the ones that I had made.
I was chuffed!
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Re: Scones: how to you make yours?

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Just as we would have expected! ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 29th, 2012, 7:26 pm

I had never heard of adding egg until I read a recipe for some award winning cheese and chive scones at a National Trust teashop. I have since seen it in recipes several times. I have tried it a few times, it makes a slightly more crumbly texture but I feel is quite unnecessary. I would add a little sugar to sweet scones. I think most recipes call for that but your recipe sounds pretty traditional.

Glad yours attracted compliments!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 30th, 2012, 6:48 am

Adding egg is a standard method for what my old cookbooks call 'rich scones'. Using oil instead of butter is more unconventional, but maybe she's afraid of saturated fats. Scones have quite a low proportion of fat, so it's not worth sacrificing the flavour, in my view!

My standard recipe for plain scones doesn't add sugar, but adds a tablespoon to fruited scones.
Last edited by Suelle on September 30th, 2012, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make more sense
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby 4dogsagain » September 30th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Suelle wrote:Using oil instead of butter is more unconventional, but maybe she's afraid of saturated fats.

Apparently, it's a recipe that she uses. No fear of sat fats.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 30th, 2012, 2:56 pm

4dogs, whar a lovely compliment!

I wish I could make decent scones. I've been trying for years but somehow I just don't have the knack.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » September 30th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Seatallan wrote:I wish I could make decent scones. I've been trying for years but somehow I just don't have the knack.

I've been making them since I was about ten. I don't even measure anything any more, it's all done by eye.
When I was doing domestic science at school, we had a lesson on how to make scones, and had to follow the recipe.
I told the teacher that I didn't need a recipe, as I had been making scones for ages. I was told I had to use the recipe.
The resultant scones would have been great in a wall, they were like bricks! Went home and made some 'real' ones, and gave the school ones to the dog.
Last edited by 4dogsagain on September 30th, 2012, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 30th, 2012, 4:10 pm

:lol:

I remember it well. We once had to make Apple Snow. Mine fell out of it's tin on the school bus en route home- I can still see it flowing down the aisle.

Share the secret of your scones! Mine never seem to rise properly.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 1st, 2012, 3:36 pm

As I have mentioned ion another thread, I don't really have a recipe, but here goes.

Put about 250g plain flour into a bowl, add 4 teasp baking power and 1/2 teasp salt.
Rub in about 50g softened butter.
Using a flat-bladed knife, stir in enough milk ("off" milk is great!) to make a soft-ish dough.
Sprinkle the worktop with flour, and tip out the dough.
Using the tips of your fingers, bring together into a ball, sprinkle with a little flour, and pat gently to about 2 to 2.5 cm thickness.
Using a floured cutter, cut into rounds. Do not twist the cutter, but press down firmly and lift straight up. Gently bring the 'bits' together to cut more scones.
Put onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake at 200deg C until well risen and browned, about 10 - 12 minutes.
The scones can be painted with egg or milk before baking.
Sometimes, I pat the dough into a round then cut into eight wedges with a sharp knife. I find that these triangular scones rise very well.
Good luck!
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » October 2nd, 2012, 10:14 pm

I make my scones without egg - I think if you add an egg they become "cakey". I really get a bit OCD about cream teas and always interrogate the waitress when ordering one because I do not think dried fruit has any place in a tea that has jam and cream. Plain scones with jam and cream or fruit scones with butter. That is The Law.
Last edited by frenchcheesequeen on October 2nd, 2012, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby amazing » October 2nd, 2012, 11:42 pm

4dogsagain wrote:As I have mentioned ion another thread, I don't really have a recipe, but here goes.

Put about 250g plain flour into a bowl, add 4 teasp baking power and 1/2 teasp salt.
Rub in about 50g softened butter.
Using a flat-bladed knife, stir in enough milk ("off" milk is great!) to make a soft-ish dough.
Sprinkle the worktop with flour, and tip out the dough.
Using the tips of your fingers, bring together into a ball, sprinkle with a little flour, and pat gently to about 2 to 2.5 cm thickness.
Using a floured cutter, cut into rounds. Do not twist the cutter, but press down firmly and lift straight up. Gently bring the 'bits' together to cut more scones.
Put onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake at 200deg C until well risen and browned, about 10 - 12 minutes.
The scones can be painted with egg or milk before baking.
Sometimes, I pat the dough into a round then cut into eight wedges with a sharp knife. I find that these triangular scones rise very well.
Good luck!

I make my scones the same way but use dried milk and water. About 4 tablespoons dried milk mixed with the flour. Sometimes I squeeze a lemon into the water before adding to mix. I have a gadget that I use on my scones before putting in oven. It is like a darning mushroom but has steel pins in the top. Gives the scones dimples, I then egg wash and bake.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 3rd, 2012, 5:32 am

frenchcheesequeen wrote:I make my scones without egg - I think if you add an egg they become "cakey". I really get a bit OCD about cream teas and always interrogate the waitress when ordering one because I do not think dried fruit has any place in a tea that has jam and cream. Plain scones with jam and cream or fruit scones with butter. That is The Law.

Carol, yet again we agree about the important things in life :hi5:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 3rd, 2012, 7:08 am

I agree with FCQ - no eggs in plain scones, and only plain scones if you're going to be eating them with jam and cream.

200g SR flour, scant 1 teaspoon baking powder, 50g butter, milk to mix. Rub butter into sieved flour and baking powder and mix to a soft dough with as much milk as needed. As a concession to modernity I will allow buttermilk or sour cream! ;) The dough should be softer and wetter than pastry, but not sticky; knead very briefly - 30 seconds or so - to get a smooth dough. Pat out dough on a floured board to 2-3cm in depth and cut into shapes as desired - don't twist the cutter if cutting out with cutters rather than a knife. Reroll trimmings, but don't expect scones from subsequent rollings to rise as much as the first ones cut. Put on non stick or lined baking tray and brush top with milk. Bake at 200C until risen and golden. Eat while still warm and pull apart so that the centre doesn't go doughy when a knife cuts through.

Tip from Great British Bake Off - if you brush with milk or egg wash, don't let it run down the sides, as it seals the dough into position and stops rising.

Tip from most scone makers - work fast and handle the dough as little as possible. I aim to have scones in the oven within 10 minutes of adding liquid to the flour.

If you are making rich scones add 25g sugar, 50g dried fruit, spices or citrus zest to taste and you can use an egg in place of some of the milk.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » October 3rd, 2012, 5:51 pm

Slipping slightly sideways...........

My Mum used to make a lot of scones, cheese ones were made without any fat - just the fat in the cheese, they were lovely. I do Mexican scones, with chilli, cumin, garlic and onion. I serve them with fresh sliced tommys or tommy relish, well we like them !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 3rd, 2012, 6:33 pm

Zosh: I always add a good sprinkle of cayenne to my cheese scones. Paprika on the top looks good as well.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 4th, 2012, 5:45 am

Tamasin Day-Lewis advises working very quickly, and leaving the scones for 10 minutes after cutting before putting them in the oven - since I've done that my scones have been much lighter and fluffier.
suffolk
Registered

Postby spotteddick » October 4th, 2012, 8:04 am

I have never made scones, either plain, current or cheese, "Wor Mam" made them and all of the Lasses, also Linda makes a canny bake, but listening to you lot I may just give it a go at the weekend for my daughter, I fancy a cream tea on Saturday, I am sure Linda has some jam, though I could well have some black cherry hidden away in my store bunker, I made a load last year.
I can get some clotted cream from Citti, I think that would be nice, don't you!
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby spotteddick » October 4th, 2012, 9:27 am

Just a couple of silly questions before I embark on making the best scones in the world (well they must be if I am following your recipes)
1) How many scones does it make (go on tell me that it depends on the size :lol: ), I would hate my daughter to go hungery and
2) I noticed 250g and 200g of SR Flour,
3)between 1 and 4 tsp of baking powder
4) and does it have salt in or not? As a novice one must know these things ;)
5) "Off" milk, I have heard about (from other of sourse) using butter milk what is the opinion on this matter!

So sorry but I suppose I could get my M&S book out but would far rather have a T&T recipe from the true experts :tu:
Last edited by spotteddick on October 4th, 2012, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby FoodMary » October 4th, 2012, 10:35 am

I have been using the recipe for "Devonshire Scones" for years. The best one I have come across is by Mary Berry in a 15 year old Aga book I have. It works in an electric oven too. Just recently I have seen it repeated in one of her modern books but can't remember which, I think "Mary Berry's Complete"

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby spotteddick » October 4th, 2012, 10:43 am

;) Hi Mary not a lot of use for me as I have neither :lol: :lol: but I do have a couple of Dan Lepards, could be he has a good T&T recipe
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 4th, 2012, 3:27 pm

spotteddick wrote:Just a couple of silly questions before I embark on making the best scones in the world (well they must be if I am following your recipes)
1) How many scones does it make (go on tell me that it depends on the size :lol: ), I would hate my daughter to go hungery and
2) I noticed 250g and 200g of SR Flour,
3)between 1 and 4 tsp of baking powder
4) and does it have salt in or not? As a novice one must know these things ;)
5) "Off" milk, I have heard about (from other of sourse) using butter milk what is the opinion on this matter!

So sorry but I suppose I could get my M&S book out but would far rather have a T&T recipe from the true experts :tu:

If you use buttermilk you would not use BP, but bi-carb. The cost of buttermilk does not justify its use. So use milk, either fresh or slightly "off". I use 4 teasp BP, but then I live at 4000+ feet, perhaps you would need less at lower altitude. Try using 3 teasp and see how it goes.
Note that the recipe that says 'scant teasp BP' use SR flour. I always use plain, and add salt. I usually make 'plain' scones rather than sweet ones.
Using a 2 to 2-1/2 inch cutter you should get about eight to a dozen scones, depending in how thick you pat them out.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 4th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Right. I'm having another go. Am determined to succeed whatever the cost. Will keep you posted...
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Hope » October 4th, 2012, 5:35 pm

interesting...

i've never quite got the hang of scones, but will give it another bash!
Hope
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 4th, 2012, 8:07 pm

4dogsagain wrote:.....If you use buttermilk you would not use BP, but bi-carb. The cost of buttermilk does not justify its use.....

I find the flavour of scones made with buttermilk totally justifies it's cost :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby spotteddick » October 5th, 2012, 1:58 am

what is the cost in buttermilk? it is cheaper than milk and I have it on müsli. So then buttermilk it is!
I have now read a few recipes and both Mary Berry and Delia Smith use eggs, are they wrong :shock:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... ecipe.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/scones_1285

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_ ... ones_70005

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/richf ... ilks_67262

I do believe I shall have to do a trial, :chops: :chops:
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2012, 4:54 am

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductVie ... buttermilk

Seems reasonable enough to me :D

I use Tamasin Day Lewis' recipe:

450g/1lb plain flour
1/2 tspn salt
55-85g/2-3 ozs unsalted butter
2 level tsp bicarb and 2 level tsp cream of tartar with 300ml/10 fl ozs buttermilk (or sour cream)

Sift flour and dry raising agents, add salt, rub in butter with fingertips, add buttermilk and combine with fingers.

Roll out gently on a floured board until about an inch thick.

After cutting out I leave them to stand for 10 mins then put on a baking tray and bake for about 10 mins.
suffolk
Registered

Postby spotteddick » October 5th, 2012, 6:09 am

:o aggggghhh Cream of tartar no one's mentioned that before :cry: will you lot stop muckin' me about :lol:
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2012, 6:39 am

Sorry, thought you knew - just as well I mentioned it ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 5th, 2012, 7:01 am

spotteddick wrote::o aggggghhh Cream of tartar no one's mentioned that before :cry: will you lot stop muckin' me about :lol:

You don't need cream of tartar if you use baking powder! As it's proving so stressful, perhaps you should leave it to those who find it easy! :lol:

There's little difference between the recipe I posted, and 4dogs, except I start with SR flour and she with plain. A batch of scone dough makes as many as you want but if you want a lot they will be small!!! I would shape a dough made with 200g of flour into a circle just over 1" deep and cut it into 8 wedges - if you use a 2 1/2" circular cutter you may get a few more, but if you need to cut some from the re-rolled trimmings they won't rise quite as well.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » October 5th, 2012, 7:46 am

You don't need cream of tartar if you use baking powder! As it's proving so stressful, perhaps you should leave it to those who find it easy!
ahh I see those that have done it before! everything is easy after the first time ;)
I don't like the idea of wedges and will go with a scone cutter, I will have a go with the Mary Berry's recipe as she seems to be the queen guru of baking along with her fella on the programme.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby irishcountry-cousin » October 5th, 2012, 7:52 am

Suelle make a good point about the trimmings so it is a good idea to cut the first lot as close together as possible to reduce re-rolls. Here is my recipe, to add to your growing list. Self raising and fresh milk for me, an egg but they are perfect every time. Cut them out high, that is the most common mistake people make.

http://fionsars.blogspot.ie/2012/03/sco ... ethod.html

Enjoy the experimentation and the results!
irishcountry-cousin
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 5th, 2012, 8:03 am

irishcountry-cousin wrote: Cut them out high, that is the most common mistake people make.

I agree - the dough needs to be at least 1" thick, possibly a little more if the scones are going to be relatively large in diameter.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Hope » October 5th, 2012, 11:11 am

don't worry Dick - you're not alone in being utterly confused!

I suspect some trials need to be done!
Hope
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 5th, 2012, 11:56 am

Wow, well done 4dogs - those scones look excellent!
My brother came up with his own version of savoury scones a few years ago:
1 kg flour
2 tspsn baking powder
150gms Cheddar
150 gms smoky bacon
2 tspns mixed herbs
330 gms butter

He gently fries the bacon before whacking the whole lot together!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby irishcountry-cousin » October 5th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Karadekoolaid, you are missing some liquid there
irishcountry-cousin
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 5th, 2012, 5:43 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Wow, well done 4dogs - those scones look excellent!

Thank you. I knew they would succeed, as I have been making them this way since I was eleven (1951). That's more years than the Queen has been on the throne. :P :P :P :P
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 5th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Cutting tip for scones..........

when the scone mix is done with milk, I push it together into a circle and then cut the circle into half and then each half into 3 (so you have triangles, sort of) does away with 'trimmings' and splitting and cracking.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby amazing » October 5th, 2012, 11:32 pm

If I have any dough left after cutting out I just sort of push it together,
and cut until none left, never roll at all.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 6th, 2012, 1:10 pm

irishcountry-cousin wrote:Karadekoolaid, you are missing some liquid there

Certainly am - thanks ICC. There's none included in th recipe so assume he just added it at will :)
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 7th, 2012, 1:29 pm

4dogs- thank you! Easily the best scones I have ever made. Not perfect yet but definitely a significant improvement. Am tucking into one, warm from the oven, as I type .

:chops: :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 7th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Seatallan wrote:4dogs- thank you! Easily the best scones I have ever made. Not perfect yet but definitely a significant improvement. Am tucking into one, warm from the oven, as I type .

So happy you are pleased. Warm from the oven is best - with a slice of cold butter on top!
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby spotteddick » October 7th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Well I am quite satisfied with my first efforts

I tried three different methods and only the first was a bit iffy, that was the one that I got my quantities wrong (too much butter, too much sugar and too much egg, boy was that lot rich, the others wenr according to plan and Linda said, very well done 8-) and as my daughter at 3, with clotted cream and Jam, I am very happy (though she can pack away the grub).
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 8th, 2012, 5:11 pm

I've just had dinner, but looking at that scone makes me hungry!

4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 9th, 2012, 8:36 am

Spot, they look gorgous ! Take a house point !! :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Hope » October 9th, 2012, 8:44 am

they do look really well risen!
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » October 11th, 2012, 8:29 am

I made Paul Hollywood's cheese scones yesterday. They spread rather than rose. Any idea why?

They still taste good though!
Hope
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 11th, 2012, 10:12 am

Hope wrote:I made Paul Hollywood's cheese scones yesterday. They spread rather than rose. Any idea why?

They still taste good though!

Was the mix too soft?
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Hope » October 11th, 2012, 11:32 am

hmm - possibly!
Hope
Registered

Postby sarebear1982 » October 15th, 2012, 9:33 am

Think this could be this weeks task try to master scones. My attempts have never been that succesful.
"I live more in 5 minutes riding and racing a bike like this than most people can ever live in a lifetime" Marco Simoncelli, 2010

#58 RIP 1987 - 2011
sarebear1982
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 15th, 2012, 10:03 am

sarebear1982 wrote:Think this could be this weeks task try to master scones. My attempts have never been that succesful.

Go for it!
4dogsagain
Registered

Next

Return to The Bakers Oven