Easter

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Easter

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 13th, 2019, 8:55 pm

After my ploughman’s for a crowd thread I’m now in need of suggestions for Easter please!

On Easter Sunday we’re having an Easter egg hunt in the garden with family around for the afternoon and it’s spiralled and we now have 18 people coming. We obviously cant do a sit down meal for that many people. I’m hoping for dry weather so we can bbq a few butterflied legs of lamb outside even if we have to eat inside. But what would you serve with it? Everyone wants to bring something so I can farm some of it out :D

Dessert is being brought by BILs mum which will be a selection of pavlovas so that’s sorted :tu: My mum and dad are bringing a cheese board too. And the children will be high on chocolate. OH is wishing we’d suggested a pub lunch for everyone instead :lol:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Re: Easter

Postby wargarden » April 13th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Hasselback potatoes
garlic mashed potatoes
Spinach Salad with Warm Brown Butter Dressing
Creamed Spinach
Carrot Soufflé
popovers
parker house rolls
potato pancakes
chips
wargarden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 13th, 2019, 9:47 pm

I know it seems boring, but with butterflied legs of lamb, nothing wrong with big bowls of green salad with a nice dressing and new season potatoes, the best you can get, tossed in butter and parsley, with HM mayo on the side. With pavlovas and a cheese board, sounds like a wonderful afternoon.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 13th, 2019, 10:50 pm

I don't know if it seems suitable for Easter but if you do the lamb, Middle Eastern style salads and couscous with parsley and mint etc would go quite well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 13th, 2019, 11:03 pm

I always think ratatouille goes well with lamb and is just as good served at room temperature
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 14th, 2019, 5:49 am

earthmaiden wrote:I don't know if it seems suitable for Easter but if you do the lamb, Middle Eastern style salads and couscous with parsley and mint etc would go quite well.

Middle Eastern sounds very suitable for Easter ... it’s where it’s all supposed to have happened after all ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 14th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Actually the one=pot spring meal I did today would be very suitable and can be eaten from a bowl with just a fork. In French it is called navarin d'agneau printanier and is, in efect cheaper cuts of lab=mb ie boneless shoulder and neck cooked in white wine or stock with loads of spring vegetables including carrots, turnips, peas and beans and new spuds and loads of fresh herbs. It is a celebration of spring and everyone loves it. and you don't have to fuss with sides and salads.
Recipe available of course
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 14th, 2019, 3:43 pm

I'm with Patpoyntz... :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 14th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Roast some aubergines and sweet potato and serve with couscous, lots of parsley, lemon and pomegranate seeds

Smear the lamb in harissa before cooking

I mentioned in the salad thread a Sabrina Ghayour tomato and pomegranate molasses salad which is lovely

Tabbouleh and fattoush plus some nice Middle Eastern dips
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 15th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:Roast some aubergines and sweet potato and serve with couscous, lots of parsley, lemon and pomegranate seeds

Smear the lamb in harissa before cooking

I mentioned in the salad thread a Sabrina Ghayour tomato and pomegranate molasses salad which is lovely

Tabbouleh and fattoush plus some nice Middle Eastern dips

Perfection :hi5:
Catherine
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 16th, 2019, 7:53 am

Thanks all! I’m liking the thought of Middle Eastern accompaniments. There are one or two people coming who might not be keen though so I’ll do some new potatoes and a green salad as well. Sorted!

I’ll have that recipe when you have a moment though Rats please! We’ve cooked navarin of lamb before but not for a while so I’d like to make it again soon.

Thanks everyone. The sun looks like it’ll be shining so I’m looking forward to it now 8-)
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm

OMCO

This is the basic recipe but I also add shelled peas and fresh white onions its a combination of this recipe and a French one. I use small new potatoes whole.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/foo ... egetables/
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 16th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Thank you!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 22nd, 2019, 10:16 pm

I made a chocolate and orange (candied fruit) rice pudding which is delish. Sorry no real recipe just out of my head and popped into the oven as it was on for a roast....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 26th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Sounds good Zosh. It’s reminded me of a chocolate and orange sort of bread and butter pudding we sometimes make...with panettone at Christmas and hot cross buns at Easter. Always with nuts, always with orange. Sometimes with a splash of booze. Not made either version for a couple of years but it’s an easy tasty dessert!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Return to The Kitchen