picnic recipes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: picnic recipes

Postby Ratatouille » June 2nd, 2019, 4:42 pm

My feeling em. It is to take place between 11.30 and whenever so and we will not be there an long except at the beginning. Bearing in mind that it went over 30C at lunch time today and will probably be hotter next week I had alreay ruled out anything with cream, mayo and such like.

I remember a few years ago taking a Northumbrian leek pastry which went down well. I am thinking perhaps a repaeat of that but leaving it with a neighbour so it can be produced further into the event.

On the other hand Mr R says just take a bag-in-box wine!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 3rd, 2019, 7:58 am

wargarden wrote:you all seemed to have forgotten the picnic recipes

Blimey, didn't know there were rules attached to posting on your threads :rolleyes: You start a thread and we hardly hear from you again :? Us old timers are renowned for wandering about on these threads as there are plenty of ways to interpret the thread title.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 3rd, 2019, 8:26 am

As I said Patsy ... it feels as if we’re being treated as some sort of research study rather than a group of foodies exchanging thoughts, ideas, musings and of course, recipes too ... it feels rather like being used ... yes, we chatter around the subject amongst ourselves but it really isn’t the best way to use this board and find out what you want to know. :(
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 3rd, 2019, 8:54 am

I'm afraid this has been my feeling for a long while Suufs and Pat.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 3rd, 2019, 9:13 am

suffolk wrote:it feels rather like being used

No two ways about it. Let's see if there is a response to these sentiments.

I feel a little awkward here, because my record will show that I have sought help very many more times than I have provided it. However - we are all here because we have one thing in common - food, and a generous willingness to help those who are honestly trying to improve their personal standards. We operate, by and large, anonymously - and a little bit of give and take goes a long way. Well that has been my experience - and I hope I have expressed my gratitude at the time.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 3rd, 2019, 10:02 am

Gruney ... yes you seek help, but you tell us why and feed back on how it’s turned out ... that is so rewarding for us if we’ve been able to help. :tu: :hug:

Apart from the friendly exchange of news and views in the coffee shop too of course ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » June 3rd, 2019, 10:24 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
wargarden wrote:you all seemed to have forgotten the picnic recipes

Blimey, didn't know there were rules attached to posting on your threads :rolleyes: You start a thread and we hardly hear from you again :? Us old timers are renowned for wandering about on these threads as there are plenty of ways to interpret the thread title.

We could say, again -"where are your recipes, wargarden?"
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » June 3rd, 2019, 10:51 am

When I joined the Beeb board to ask a simple food question, I was astonished at how cliquey it was and how certain behaviour was expected, which to me seemed odd for a public board where people might just come to ask a question and not 'know' everyone. I think/hope I know what's expected now - but others may not, especially if they don't come from middle England. I agree that if you initiate a subject you would normally want to interact with it but we know nothing of the poster or their situation and I find this constant targeting of one person very uncomfortable indeed when they have not done anything offensive.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 3rd, 2019, 11:20 am

Another vote for sausage rolls Rats. If the Voisins don't want them chuck them my way :chops:

So Wargarden, have you used your lunch jar yet?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 3rd, 2019, 4:56 pm

I’m not targeting him/her ... all I’m doing is letting Wargarden know how his/her lack of response to my posts and queries is making me feel ... which is very uncomfortable ... I’ve posted on this thread because others have done so and I’ve joined in with them .. but to be frank, I find it a bit off to be told by the OP that we’re not doing what he wants us to do.

I don’t think I’ll take part in this thread any more .... that’s the first time I’ve ever said that on Wildfood :(
Last edited by suffolk on June 3rd, 2019, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 3rd, 2019, 5:23 pm

suffolk wrote:I don’t think I’ll take part in this thread any more .... that’s the first time I’ve ever said that on Wildfood

My sentiments too :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 3rd, 2019, 6:25 pm

I'm with both of you there.

I thin I'll kanother thread on my particular problem = which has got more complicated today!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 3rd, 2019, 6:40 pm

Sorry if I offended. My comments weren't aimed at any one individual.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 3rd, 2019, 6:47 pm

Not offended at all EM. Just wanted to make myself clear ... that’s all
:hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » June 7th, 2019, 3:51 pm

here is one my favorite picnic recipes it makes 16 portions
that you do not need to worry about mayonnaise going bad and making you sick

Health Salad
Ingredients
shredded red cabbage
4 cup(s), or green cabbage
English cucumber(s)
½ medium, thinly sliced
uncooked red onion(s)
½ medium, thinly sliced
garlic clove(s)
1 medium clove(s), thinly sliced
green pepper(s)
1 medium, thinly sliced
uncooked carrot(s)
1 medium, thickly shredded
table salt
½ tsp
black pepper
½ tsp
sugar
2½ Tbsp
apple cider vinegar
2½ Tbsp
olive oil
1 Tbsp
water
1 Tbsp
dill
1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped (optional)

Instructions
In a large bowl, combine cabbage, cucumber, onion, garlic, green pepper and carrot; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; pour over vegetables and toss to mix and coat.
Chill in refrigerator, tossing once or twice, for about 1 hour. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
wargarden
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen